Vaccinations available for Australian nationals in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

I disagree. Your negative comment is shortsighted. Contact the Embassy and voice your displeasure.

true, but presently we are without a full time Ambassador, the consular general in Chiang Mai is pulling double duty. TheUS donated 1.5 million doses to Thailand after they told US citizens they can't help us unless we want a loan to buy a ticket back to the US. But they can't ensure that their tax paying citizens living abroad get vaccinated? The US should have been the first to get vaccines to their citizens, instead the French and Australians are, doesn't feel right to me, and yes I did contact the embassy.

• Like 1

I got the same announcement this morning. I have to fly into a red zone with one one day notice on a weekend to get my single dose. Thanks for nothing.

These doses were earmarked for foreigners as part of a foreign aid donation. I hope they give the extra doses to useful people like Burmese construction workers or Cambodian bargirls instead of wasting it on more hi-so officials.

Nothing like a plan, nothing at all like a plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I got the same announcement this morning. I have to fly into a red zone with one one day notice on a weekend to get my single dose. Thanks for nothing.

These doses were earmarked for foreigners as part of a foreign aid donation. I hope they give the extra doses to useful people like Burmese construction workers or Cambodian bargirls instead of wasting it on more hi-so officials.

Nothing like a plan, nothing at all like a plan. 

Perhaps, but I haven't seen that announcement. Could you back up your statement about tomorrow's vaccines with a link for us all.Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Doesn't matter , it's still better then the Sinovac <deleted> they are giving their own people . 

What are you talking about? Do you live here? Thais are getting AZ, and it's not much better than Sinovac.

47 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

BIG DEAL!!! That's just the U.S. government virtue signalling. The fact that it ignored its own expatriate citizens while sending vaccines to foreigners is compelling evidence that it lacks true virtuousness.

Whatever they still sent more than the UK

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

What are you talking about? Do you live here? Thais are getting AZ, and it's not much better than Sinovac.

What are you talking about?  AZ is fine ....   it has been used extensively with favorable results. 

Sinovac has been used and deemed unworthy. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Perhaps, but I haven't seen that announcement. Could you back up your statement about tomorrow's vaccines with a link for us all.Thanks!

He's making an assumption, and I think it's a pretty good one. Out of the blue, on one day's notice, comes a one day opportunity for some Westerners to get a special Thai operated vaccination. And of course the embassies all have plausible deniability. Sure, says the US Charge, we gave 1.5 million Pfizer doses, no strings attached. Aren't we so virtuous? Then the Thai general, the only source for the 20 percent reserve, says it's for "foreigners."  Well, here is a vaccination for a bunch of foreigners, with very few actually able to get themselves registered. This was a charade. The US wanted to get the Pfizer to the Thais and didn't want any other involvement. But because of the embarrassment the Chinese and French caused, there had to be this 20 percent reserve. But the Thais flipped on the deal and took all the Pfizer and doled out AZ to everyone else instead. That is what it seems like to me. No sources, no links, no insider dope. Just putting two and two together.

• Like 1

So, I registered this morning, minutes after receiving the email from the US Embassy.

I just got a call from a young man at the Bangkok US Embassy...Citizen Services.

He told me that the people who made up the registration page forgot to put in a box for an email address.

So they couldn't send me an email to tell me I was on the list for tomorrow. And that they didn't have enough English speakers there to call me. They contacted the Embassy. Gave them my phone number and asked them to call me.

He told me to show up at 4 with my passport and i would be accepted.

That was nice.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Im sure The US sent one and a half million vaccines the other week with a stipulation that 20% went to foreigners

Yes, Pfizer. Malaysia already received theirs. No Thai govt announcement yet. Is it in Thailand? Are tomorrow's AZ vaccines from Japanese donation?

29 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Mate, you need to check the regulations unless you are really living in Australia. Live in Thailand before turning 65, no pension for you.

Actually it's 67 and a half for me as I was born August 1960 and that is when I intend to return to live in Australia as far as they are concerned, now if I decide to return to Thailand after two years, then they can pay me my old age pension in Thailand, those are the rules, however I can't see that happening, who knows maybe for a 4 week holiday, too hard with kids, don't want to uproot them once we return to Australia as one will be ready to go to Uni or work, the other starting high school, besides they were born there and what happens after I croak it, is up to mum, but I think within 100km radius of Sydney will do us fine, far enough out, but close enough.

• Like 2