Foodpanda the target of online boycott after firing employee attending protests

webfact

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

probably he doesn't worry worry about his foodpanda contract.

In face of this company losing (up to now, within 24h) over 50% of it's clients, he can find work at competition. 

I was thinking more about the very harsh LM laws here, which could possibly lead to his imprisonment.

he did not burn king's portrait, albeit he tried to do so.

There was a policeman next to him, but did not react/arrest. 

So far no LM against him.

Would it be wise on anybody side to press now LM against him, after foodpanda back clash from millions of netizens and over 500k of their existing clients? 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The company seems to be jerking from one extreme to another. Blowin' in the wind. Public relations experts they're not. 

It not my favorite delivery company but if they make me an offer I can't refuse, I don't see this as a reason to boycott. Heck I'll even eat chick-fil-a. 

BTW: Please tip your drivers. 

Would you have found a reason to boycott if during WWII someone was giving the name of your family to the police ?!

so maybe you can understand why ban foodidiots ?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, internationalism said:

he did not burn king's portrait, albeit he tried to do so.

There was a policeman next to him, but did not react/arrest. 

So far no LM against him.

Would it be wise on anybody side to press now LM against him, after foodpanda back clash from millions of netizens and over 500k of their existing clients? 

It certainly wasn't very polite. In any case the Panda man really shouldn't have been dressed in his work clothes for his protest activities. 

Edited by Jingthing

he wasn't dressed in his company dress. He had company delivery box attached on motorbike.

People should not get fired for being impolite outside working hours.

"Prachatai English BREAKING: 21.50, TLHR reported that the police has arrested Sitthichok, a Food Panda rider alleged of burning the royal arch at Ratchadamnoen Rd during #ม็อบ18กรกฎา protest. Sitthichok is accused of royal defamation and arson."

Edited by internationalism

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

So which one got fired and who got arrested?  The guy in the pink FoodPanda jacket who's just standing around with a camera (admittedly, flashing 3 fingers), or the guy in black with the FoodPanda(?) box on the back of his scooter who actually did try to burn down the picture?

Edited by impulse

How hard is it to understand? Violate company policy and you could be fired. If you don't agree with their policies, don't work for them.  BTW is there any company that is ok with it's workers protesting/demonstrating while wearing or displaying the company uniform/logo?

Edited by bbko

10 hours ago, Bassosa said:

There are better, local options depending on where you are in Thailand. I use Tuk in Chiang Mai. Works just as well and they don't extort the restaurant owners with insane commissions (Foodpanda takes more than 30%!!).

FP is well behind Grab and Hungry Now in Pattaya, in my opinion.  Haven’t used them in months and, with this news, maybe never will.  

21 minutes ago, bbko said:

How hard is it to understand? Violate company policy and you could be fired. If you don't agree with their policies, don't work for them.  BTW is there any company that is ok with it's workers protesting/demonstrating while wearing or displaying the company uniform/logo?

You did see the part about FoodPanda losing half their customer base in just 24 hours as a result of firing the guy, right?

And he's been reinstated...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foexie said:

I agree with Food Panda.

If i have a company and see an employee use my car, van, motorbike, clothes or whatever with my brand on it to attempt a protest what have nothing to do with my company i would fire him too.

In the first place, all delivery drivers use their own motorcycles on which prominent branding is required. I don't think it can be said that the current protests exclude any resident or company. Nobody can say the current deplorable situation doesn't impact every enterprise in Thailand. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bbko said:

"Company policy" does not dictate what any employee does on their own time. "Own time" may be a fluid concept for gig workers.

• Like 2

Recap in order. One Foodpanda driver, dressed in his pink work uniform shirt flashed the three-finger salute as a SECOND Foodpanda driver, with a Foodpanda box on his bike attempted arson of one of the Ratchadamnoen royal arches. (Note to self: They look pretty dang hard to light!)

Maybe they were work buddies. Maybe they came to the demo together. But pink-shirt was apparently the one Foodpanda sacked. Flashing the salute of three fingers, or even one finger, is not (yet) illegal. Arson is.

17 hours ago, WineOh said:

Yeah and who's to blame for that then???

it certainly isn't the delivery driver!

Give you a hint, his name begins with A and ends with n.

shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out!

What about A's boss? Is the "there won't be a coup" unelected PM not to blame also, even more so?

11 hours ago, Foexie said:

I agree with Food Panda.

If i have a company and see an employee use my car, van, motorbike, clothes or whatever with my brand on it to attempt a protest what have nothing to do with my company i would fire him too.

Well Germany is very close to Belgium. What! ? :giggle:

9 hours ago, bbko said:

If I was an employer and any of my employees was protesting/demonstrating against the "there will be no coup" self elected PM and his cohorts outside of working hours, I would be congratulating him/her.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Foexie said:

I agree with Food Panda.

Yes and no, those people use their own vehicle and even pay for their uniform, but I can get your point. That's why I have no company name on my company vehicles ????

How interesting indeed! 

The discussion moved away from "why a demonstration" to "inhumane Foodpanda as employer". The particular gentleman has any and all rights to voice his concern about anything within the legal frame of the Thai juristic system as a private individual. 

Foodpanda might have overreacted but the protester was possibly ill-advised (if at all) and should have removed his uniform jacket as the protest was his and not his employer's opinion. 

Seeing how the Farangphobia and Alienhatred is in full swing and gaining momentum (I am Caucasian myself and witness this every day) it is not more than correct, that Foodpanda in this case protested being brought into visual connection with the protests. At the end it might even be, that Foodpanda is responsible for the entire mess the Thai health and political system is presently in ........ 

On a more serious note; reprimanding the staff with a written warning would be the most I might have done, yet in a common sense environment (and Thailand has proven complete absense of common sense over and over again) it is clear, that the protester is protesting and not the company whose jacket he is wearing. 

And for the staff driver; there are alternatives like Grab, Hungrynow etc. - and instead of protesting go to work or remove the uniform before voicing your opinion to which any Thai is apparently entitled to!