What will the energy source of a future green EV look like?

4myr

I just read that Mazda is not sure about delivering the BEV MX-30 with a rotary engine as a range extender.

I was a bit disappointed because I think we need some progress in other areas than only battery technology to improve future energy sources for transport vehicles, whether a car or a truck. I am still pessimistic that long haul trucks will drive on batteries only.

So I would like to ponder with you, what do you think will be the future renewable energy sources stored in a vehicle for traction:

1)[ Not renewable] PHEV/HEV = battery/electric motor + combustion engine [ICE] + fossil fuel

2) [Not likely] battery/electric motor + fuel cell + hydrogen, due to high investments in infrastructure for hydrogen

3) [Very Likely] battery/electric motor + battery pack as range extender, primarily for cars and not trucks

4) [Likely?] for cars, battery/electric motor + range extender generator by means of 100% methanol fuel cell or ICE with modified rotary engine on 100% methanol

5) [Likely?] for long haul trucks, battery/electric motor + in parallel ICE with modified rotary engine on 100% methanol

.. other options

Methanol can be derived from:

- excess solar/wind [hydrogen electrolysis]

- methane fossil fuel production waste - not green but always better than burning it off or let it escape as GHG

- or bio-waste

and can reuse the fossil fuel distribution infrastructure with some retrofitting [methanol is very corrosive and attracts water/humidity].

Here some background about methanol fuel cells https://www.blue.world/products/

Here some background about a modified rotary engine [does not have pistons, so is more quiet] that seems not to have the drawbacks of a traditional [Mazda] wankel motor with lubrication and shorter lifetime due to the damaged seals. 

All non ICE technology - today - relies on infrastructure that is, in most cases, not even in the planning stages yet.

Where will all this not gasoline/diesel energy come from ?

The best - and I figure ONLY - reasonable alternative if you want to ride/drive around in a blender, is to build a whole lot of nuclear power plants. The newest ones are much much different from the old ones.

But this raises a WHOLE lot of questions - what to do with old batteries ? Oh - recycle them. This is also not in the planning stages yet.

It is all a CON - brought to you by snake oil salesmen.

Today - and for the forseeable future - the ICE trumps ALL other forms of transport, for ease of manufacturing, less pollution, and efficient recycling at the end of their lives.

And ALL the infrastructure is already in place.

Electricity - good for lights, and making toast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Thailand is "blessed" to have lots and lots of sunshine   so I would hope one of the first things is to  install solar panels on as many roof tops as possible, the electricity could be used to  pump water uphill at dams for release at night  or to split water into  hydrogen and oxygen which could be used to drive generators at night  or power vehicles.

There is also still a lot of natural gas left  which should be used  for power production whilst battery technology is still  improving and other "clean" alternatives become reality  maybe "cold fusion" ?

Hydrogen fuel cell is the answer. The infrastructure will take time, but the benefits are too great to ignore any longer. California already has over 40 refueling stations.

200308701_Screenshot(28).png.75757e548dc9155677db3970cc50c69a.png

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 1

Fuel cell cars - another pipe dream ...

Volkswagen also recently laid out, concisely, why fuel cells don't make sense for passenger vehicles. Not only are the cars themselves less efficient than alternatives, but the process of generating hydrogen is inherently inefficient, the automaker argued.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128428_report-hydrogen-fuel-cell-price-parity-with-gasoline-2025

In contrast, only about 25% to 35% of energy actually makes it to the wheels of a fuel-cell car, according to the study.

That's because of the immense amount of energy needed to produce hydrogen through electrolysis, the most common current method, according to the study. Only 55%of that energy is represented by usable hydrogen, the study said.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1127660_battery-electric-or-hydrogen-fuel-cell-vw-lays-out-why-one-is-the-winner

• Like 1

There will have to be much more energy production than is available now if all vehicles end up electric.

Then wait and see what happens to electric prices.

2 things will help.  Solid state batteries, if they are ever able to scale them up to the size needed.  Better solar panels.  

Maybe from this:  https://insights.globalspec.com/article/17042/crystalline-layers-lead-to-1-000x-boost-in-photovoltaic-power