Thailand Risks First Double-Dip Recession Since 1998 Crisis

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

How will a falling Baht hurt poor Thais?

It's a serious question.

A weak baht is the one solid thing that could encourage tourism back. And more generous spending in the grey economy. Only rich Thais who go abroad and do business overseas get hurt.

I think we would all like the Baht to drop a little chaiswaan--but what seems to hoped for by some of the posters is a 97 type crash, which was  disastrous for the country.

Imports (Oil etc) would rise of course and along with it anything manufactured for the home market, but what is not factored in is the price of the goods sold at home, they also rise.

Lets say we are in 97 with a 50% reduction of the baht--and you are a Rice buyer--the stable diet of Thai's, with the Baht crash the Rice you sold overseas at X-baht you can now get x+1 baht, (50% more) so you either sell all your rice overseas or put the home price up to X+1 baht.

Sure it would maybe attract more tourist--but that really isn't the runs the Thai economy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

At the end this will affect the elite, people got less cash now to spend in the elite owned seven-elevens, Big C's, Centrals etc.

To put it basically HiSoLowNoSo----- people can buy less to eat.......and thats a real good thing.....huh..? .......:coffee1:

11 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Ok, some fair points there, but hard as it is to contemplate, nothing changes without pain, and blood, and death. It's the human condition.

We ordinary people, expats, could fall foul of extreme dysfunction in Thai society.

My enduring fear is that if the wheels come off, poor Thais will lump us in with their Thai oppressors, sure, we're "wealthy" but not even close to the Salim, and most of us I hope, have learned, as part of our own democracies, that absolute power for one group leads to great turmoil and human suffering for everyone else, eg: pre-revolutionary France.

However, we usually emerge better people, with better societies, when these extreme imbalances are ironed out.

And in these epic struggles, people die in sometimes vast numbers, when these imbalances are challenged. Velvet revolutions are a rare beast indeed.

I think everyone seriously underestimates how much tourism impacts Thailand, particularly at a grassroots level. Every worker we meet as tourists, is a person who relies almost solely on the industry, and tips etc. to live a dignified life. I recall a conservative estimate of tourism income is 25% of the economy With Thailand, we will likely never know, but as a foreigner here, I use services that would likely not even exist if we all disappeared overnight. Don't forget the ripple effect of all; thus, a tuk tuk driver going bust could well eventually impact the BoT bottom line, just because what he can't afford, ripples out and out to an eventual significant amount of cash.

I think globally, it's never been about what "trickles down", but what gets pushed "up" the food chain. that drives wealth.

I do not wish suffering on ordinary Thais, but I do pragmatically wish they hurt enough to turn on these salim scumbags who have preyed on them throughout their history.

no pain, no gain