In the event of divorce in Thailand does the wife have rights to 50% of my bank balance?

charliechoc

Looks like you have already found your answer.   

For the non crypto crowd, a bank account that only you know about outside of the jurisdiction in question would suffice as well.    (although crypto is so much easier right now since all the good hiding spots are difficult to fly to)

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents.

regardless if things are amazing now or you see red flags, as someone replied women always surprise you with divorce papers (speaking from experience)

your best bet is crypto of course, but the other thing always have a safe deposit box in the motherland in a bank branch that you don't usually visit much for example if the motherland is the USA and you bank with Wells Fargo, your safe deposit box should be with Chase or Bank of America or even better idea. if you have PayPal make sure it's based of your motherland (address and other info) and keep some money there and have the PayPal debit card MasterCard on you, that way only you really knows how much is in this debit card from PayPal and it's still a virtual institution.

Always divide your money

-Paypal debit card

-Crypto (Coinbase and uphold, or at least 2 different wallets)

-Safe deposit box in the mother land

that way even if there's an over reach or a judgement or the wifey put 2 and 2 at most she can find out about about only one of the above and you minimized damages.

I also keep money in watches that appreciates over time and easy to transport from one location to another ????

7 hours ago, Heng said:

a bank account that only you know about outside of the jurisdiction in question would suffice as well.

most banks in developed world will want to know if you are married before releasing your money, so beware of the " a bank account that only you know" option.

a good lawyer will know how to find your secret accounts.

a friend of mine just sent 5000 USD from his account in the U,S, to his account in thailand.

bankers there called him and investigated him. they could tell his wife name; his kids names, ext. !!!! they propably got it from thai bank !!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gargamon said:

Why would you do that? Only bring as much as you need.

And why would she need to know about how much you have in the home country? You weren't bragging were you?

the money is over there doing nothing but being eaten away by inflation. I previously had it in gold at the perth mint but sold it after a 40% return. Now I dont know what to do with it

6 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

most banks in developed world will want to know if you are married before releasing your money, so beware of the " a bank account that only you know" option.

a good lawyer will know how to find your secret accounts.

a friend of mine just sent 5000 USD from his account in the U,S, to his account in thailand.

bankers there called him and investigated him. they could tell his wife name; his kids names, ext. !!!! they propably got it from thai bank !!

Of course.  And it'll be relative to the amounts involved of course too.   If it's a 'little' (and just enough to start a life over with) it'll just be an in your own name type thing and hope they won't bother.  If he doesn't pick an obvious place, a good lawyer might be able to find it but a wife on a limited budget isn't going to fund a worldwide country by country search.    

If it's a 'lot,' then surely he'll go through company formation and add a few more hops/chutes/ladders to the trail.

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

this is true for any country. question is: who wants a court case dragged for many years?

Me, if she's after my money I'll drag it out forever 

7 hours ago, charliechoc said:

the money is over there doing nothing but being eaten away by inflation. I previously had it in gold at the perth mint but sold it after a 40% return. Now I dont know what to do with itSinc4

Put it in an index mutual fund, S&P500 recommended, in your home country where likely the local laws would protect you much more than anything in Thailand.  Since I don't know (or want to know) what your home country is, I cannot confirm the laws are better there.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, kwonitoy said:

Judge bangs the gavel and says I have to GIVE her nothing. case dismissed

What does 'I have to give her nothing' means? I don't think this is proper English.

Does that mean that you don't have to give her anything at all?

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, charliechoc said:

the money is over there doing nothing but being eaten away by inflation. I previously had it in gold at the perth mint but sold it after a 40% return. Now I dont know what to do with it

buy gold again? I recently inherited a tidy sum and bought mostlt Thai gold in bars..why not?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Exactly, I have the money and the judge asks me if I want to give her any of it. I reply no and that's the end of it.

There was a lot more back and forth between her lawyer and the judges before this. It would take a book,  She was asking for crazy amounts of money claiming that I had 100 million baht in the bank 6 cars etc. I don't have that amount. She was channeling all her inner crazy that day. Once the judge had her measure and gave her a very strong talking to he asked me if I wanted to give her anything. No. Case closed.

You're lucky your ex-wife didn't poison you to make it look like an accident so that she can inherit all your money.

It looks like she married you for your money and not love.

Edited by EricTh

On 7/30/2021 at 6:35 AM, bkk6060 said:

This is from a family Law article:

Generally, inheritances are not subject to equitable distribution because, by law, inheritances are not considered marital property. Instead, inheritances are treated as separate property belonging to the person who received the inheritance, and therefore may not be divided between the parties in a divorce

Are you quoting Thai law bkk6060 ?...... who is the family law circle?...haven't actually heard of them --In Thailand ?

My understanding is that  all inheritance is " SIN SOMROS"  therefor she or he would indeed get half of any inheritance left , while they are  married.

SIN SOMROS – considered as marital property are as follow:

• Property acquired during marriage;
  • Property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift;.
  • Fruits of the Sin Suan Tua (fruits of the separate property);

On 7/31/2021 at 10:51 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so why ; If all done online, did'nt you buy a gold ETF like GLD?

ETF's are hard to sell in a market crash.

The perth mint guarantee to buy back your gold if there's no other buyers in the market (ie if there are liquidity issues). Its a solid organization backed by the WA govt. Sold my gold and they transferred all money to my thai bank account. Cant go wrong...