Anyone else tired of the nonsense, and contemplating leaving Thailand?

9 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'd consider Thailand permanently if: 1) Retired with a good pension, 2) Solid, well paying job here, 3) Some kind of lucrative online business, as some have mentioned, 4) Nothing home to go back to. None of those apply to me.

I'm in my mid 40's, and still wish to advance my career in teaching. That can't be done here in Thailand. I'm maxed out at the govt school level out here in Issan. Great relaxed country living, though at a low salary I can't keep making forever. I have high qualifications, but they're not exactly what the picky intl schools want. Nor do I care for that insufferable, hi-so attitude I got working in BKK private schools.

K-12 ESL is on the upswing in the USA with increasing immigration. I'd recommend this to any American teachers here looking to return. Make sure you've got a degree or some other certification in education, and get your state teaching license. Study for the Praxis exam. And for the love of God, don't go back to any of the screwed up coastal states. Haha. Though the States aren't completely screwed. Thankfully my family saw the writing on the wall, and escaped our failing coastal state for the midwest years ago. That's where me and my Thai wife shall be returning to.

My Thai wife can't help but notice the American news in which $15/hr jobs are going unfilled. 500 baht, more than most make in a day. One of my friends back home just started working for a supermarket, and they've already given him full time. That was the holy grail when I was in retail years ago, which they didn't hand out lightly. Now they're dying for workers and max hours.

I'm lucky to have a Thai wife who really wants to work, with a hotel and restaurant background, and I can see her going far. She sees the time we continue to spend here as wasted money she could be making, sending some back to the fam. We've giving this about another two years, by which time things should've hopefully recovered back home, for the most part.

They may be paying $15 an hour, but things are getting so expensive in the US, it is to the point of stupid. Finding a decent apartment or house to rent? Stupid. Cost of labor to get anything done? Stupid. Medical care? Stupid. Groceries? I end up spending $250 to $300 for two or three bags of groceries every time I shop there. 

Did I mention the nearly militant attitude of the women? Or the general sense of joylessness? Stupid. 

Few want to admit it, but inflation is out of control in the US. Thanks. Not for me. Not for less than $1,000,000 a year. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 7:42 PM, bkk6060 said:

I still like it here no plans to go.

I am surprised you did not post a thread like this sooner considering your historical posts expressing your disdain and hatred for the place.

You asked so my suggestion is to sell everything and leave as soon as you can.  Why stay in a place with all those negative feelings building up doesn't seem worth it maybe try to find greener pastures.

Correct ! then he will have a chance to visit the forum to complain about his krap life in the west and how much he misses Thailand !

Those people living a playmobil life are so funny !

Certainly not leaving. Government in Siam/Thailand has always been similar to this. Best time in my opinion was in the 80s under the Prem administration, and that was effectively a military government.  Life here now is still good as far as I'm concerned. I'm not much effected by whatever kind of government is in power.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Certainly not leaving. Government in Siam/Thailand has always been similar to this. Best time in my opinion was in the 80s under the Prem administration, and that was effectively a military government.  Life here now is still good as far as I'm concerned. I'm not much effected by whatever kind of government is in power.

The only truth ! But maybe you are not as weak as many of the old men here ? I haven't seen you cry for a vaccine ?

On 7/31/2021 at 7:01 PM, spidermike007 said:

how will they get rid of the highly corrupt and totally compromised 250 proxy senators?

Ive never heard about this. Has this been in the press? What is your evidence for this statement?

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

Ive never heard about this. Has this been in the press? What is your evidence for this statement?

BANGKOK (Reuters) - More than a third of Thailand’s newly appointed senators have military or police backgrounds, an official document showed on Tuesday, a sign the upper house will probably vote to entrench army dominance of government five years after a military coup.…… https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-election-idUSKCN1SK12J

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Like you I could go back to Canada but then I have to put up with the corupt/incompetent (not sure which) politicians in Canada.

Cold Canadian winters 

the high cost of living

Yes, I am aware of those issues .  ( corrupt AND incompetent AND above the law ....probably fits all countries at this point) .      I would only go there if it was the last years of my life.... and then my only expenses would be oatmeal and pampers.      My daughter would take care of me .  Funny,  she is starting to understand the craziness of trying to keep up ( like a hamster running on a wheel)

for now I am definitely a "thailand is best for me"  guy

On 7/31/2021 at 8:14 PM, HeijoshinCool said:

because things are only going to get worse. Our lives, as we have known and enjoyed them, are over.

Thats a bit dramatic isnt it????? Wait for 80% of the population in most countries to be vaccinated and this <deleted> show is over. That is until the next virus comes out of china

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:57 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yes, you are in a fortunate position. Being an American, not easy to get a visa to live within Europe. Contemplating. 

Lots of Americans have "discovered" countries like Portugal these last few years and seem to be happy about it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

Lots of Americans have "discovered" countries like Portugal these last few years and seem to be happy about it.

Portugal was always deadly dull.

Vino Verde is nice, the beaches are nice, it's a bit cold in winter and absolutely nothing to do.

1 hour ago, MayBeNow said:

No man, its way way waaaaayyyy simpler!!!! There is no grand design to ruin the tourism industry. The problem is there is NO GRAND DESIGN. We are run by, and elect ourself, dreamers, incompetent bums looking at most 6 months ahead. Dont think lockdowns are remotely scientific. What i do know is some industries with limitless political influence are breaking the bank because of covid, big pharma, big tech. They happily keep the fear mongering going. 

Concerning the Thai government. Do you think you getting fired up changes a thing? No you dont, your smart. Yet you hope another group running the show will change Thailand. It wont.... I see Thai politicians as Thai soaps, they are all the same, all are childish, dont watch.

Mike, really, my simple advice is to quit watching news for a prolonged time, take distance.

Apt comment. While there  may be some quite dire repercussions especially at the low socio- economic scale due to inability to service the public debt so many have been coerced into and are increasingly becoming subject to a bankrupt position at the mercy of creditors for expats who retain whatever justification they provide as legitimate reason to be residing in Thailand I would ask what in real and meaningful terms has changed that in other locations or origins have not experienced some negative equivalence in increased legislative requirement, restrictions?

As a reasonably long term expat who has made considered investment in support of continued stay with my wife and  family it would take  something  much more extreme and direct to dislodge me from my commitment to that  than the hapharzard political scenario that has long existed  and likely to continue totally beyond any personal capacity to participate in or influence.

At this time there is a global state of flux in almost every aspect of assumed consistency regardless of how comfortable or harsh it has been that now as a part of what will be history is genuinely threatening that assumption economically and socially.

Technologically the world has  been shrunken to the point where a camel could fart in the open desert and if it were desired the evidence of the event  could probably be produced yet the illusion of a sophisticated world is projected  like a carrot to a donkey in pursuit of bliss in a deluded world.

There are no bunkers left that are safe even on continental scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But how are you actually affected?

There are many Members on this forum and I include myself, that understand the feelings you have about (lack of) meaningful forward-thinking Government and its effects mainly on the Thai people, now and forever it would seem. Important matters relating to Thailand never get properly addressed and certainly going backwards in many ways.

But whilst agreeing with much of your points here, I am not actually affected myself enough to even think of leaving. Wherever you think of next it is likely there will be problems of some kind, either now or at some other time later when the politics change  - who knows?

Yes, a good idea to try somewhere else on a vacation basis enabling you do get some decent research done to discover long term possibilities.

Burn your bridges when you are sure. But I can assure you that all the research I did before burning my boats in the UK amounted to not much when comparing what I have learned since I have been here - matters that would be important to some and not others.

Good Luck, Mate, in your quest for some life improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1