Thailand reports record 21,838 new coronavirus cases and 212 deaths

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Indonesia at nearly a 5% mortality rate? And the PI at 4%? Vietnam at over 3%. That is astonishing. What are they doing wrong, or are they simply being more honest with the numbers? 

Or do they not have the infrastructure to cope as  well.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is intensifying measures to curb COVID-19 transmission and to respond to an increase in cases, after assessing the current COVID-19 situation.

BMA spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang said they will issue more restrictions to reduce people's mobility, increase beds to accommodate moderate and severe cases and speed up inoculation, especially of the elderly, pregnant women and people with any of seven underlying diseases.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158187155202050

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand's Vaccine Tracker (Aug. 7, 2021) About 6.66% of the population is fully vaccinated. 15,687,291 (+507,015) people have received the first dose, while 4,406,723 (+129,652) have been fully inoculated. #วัคซีนโควิด19 #COVID19 #ล็อกดาวน์ #KE

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1423888696760143877

I find it impossible to believe that number (636k).

In the US where vaccines are available everywhere and they have a population 6 times larger they do 1,000,000 per day.

They absolutely have it within them to lie and are fully motivated and experienced to do so.

That is 833 vaccines per minute in a 12 hour day. In Thailand with all its inherent problems. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

In the US where vaccines are available everywhere and they have a population 6 times larger they do 1,000,000 per day.

They absolutely have it within them to lie and are fully motivated and experienced to do so.

That is 833 vaccines per minute in a 12 hour day. In Thailand with all its inherent problems. 

"... That is 833 vaccines per minute in a 12 hour day."

833 vaccines per minute is roughly 277 to 416 nurses.

In my better days long ago, I've flirted will more in a single hospital stay.

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, buick said:

those aren't the figures i came up with using Total Cases and Total Deaths.  my math showed 2.6% for indo.  did you use a wrong column ?  did i use a wrong column ?  and i think it is well known that alot of cases don't get counted as no symptoms.  deaths are left out also.  so it isn't a perfect calculation.  but i understand using the official numbers provides a data point. 

According to worldometer Indonesia had over 39,000 new cases yesterday. And 1,635 deaths. About 4%. The other chart indicates far fewer cases. I think this chart is more realistic. 

And America is #1 again. The Anti Vax (clinical proof Darwin's theories were correct) movement is taking the nation down a very dark and desolate path of ignorance. And the real shame is the top vaccines are available in abundance, and they are free and easy to obtain. Gump would have alot to say about this crowd. 

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. ...

Better be unborn than untaught, for ignorance is the root of misfortune. ...

Ignorance is an enemy, even to its owner.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rott said:

It seems a few others did, perhaps you could clarify it for smedly. 

Just took the first two of you. Hope the rest can read the comment as it is. You should feel proud and chosen instead of complaining over my choices.

As another point. You can not ask me to to things. I have no WP.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Just took the first two of you. Hope the rest can read the comment as it is. You should feel proud and chosen instead of complaining over my choices.

As another point. You can not ask me to to things. I have no WP

Expect a knock on the door then. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is intensifying measures to curb COVID-19 transmission and to respond to an increase in cases, after assessing the current COVID-19 situation.

BMA spokesman Pongsakorn Kwanmuang said they will issue more restrictions to reduce people's mobility, increase beds to accommodate moderate and severe cases and speed up inoculation, especially of the elderly, pregnant women and people with any of seven underlying diseases.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158187155202050

I believe this was yesterday. But still no idea what the additional restrictions to people's mobility will mean!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes but the guy I was responding to was a foreigner, not a Thai so I assumed it was about his kids.

But yea poor people in Thailand will have little chance to really help their kids. Farang couples on the other hand should be able to do something.

But sure this whole situation is not good for kids from poor families. I know of friends of mine who tutor Thai and foreign kids now that schools are closed. So some kids (from the families with a bit more money) do keep getting educated.

Yes I'm a foreigner and luckily my wife and I don't have to work so we both have alot of time for our daughter who is four next month. We're lucky too in that her new school, private, is running quite good online lessons although it's difficult for one so young to maintain attention especially when she's in her home environment and confident enough to act up sometimes. I should add that all the teachers in our daughter's school are now vaccinated but in the Govt Schools in the rural area we live the opposite is true so my concern is that the teachers themselves will fall victim to covid when kids return to school and then pass it on to their own families.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Course you do. 

One of the many who only want to believe the negative news and numbers that give you something to complain about. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It is amazing that the prison cases are very high when the total cases are high. It seems they want to deduct cases from the general public so that number keeps a bit stable ......

It's more to remind people that prisons don't really count. They are non-people. Is there another country in the world that separates prisons from real people in statistical analyses? 

40 minutes ago, candide said:

Numbers are available here

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

On the chart, it can be seen that 2021 numbers started to significantly diverge from 2020 numbers and from the average in May, and the trends seems to broadly follow the pandemic trend.

It confirms the number of excess deaths is much higher than the official Covid death number. For example, it shows more than 8000 excess deaths in July.

While it is quite possible, as suggested by James105, that other types of deaths contributed to the high number of excess deaths, is it really likely that Covid deaths would not represent the major share of excess deaths?

Screenshot_20210807-092202.png

Most logical people would not argue that these are covid related even deaths in other fields are covid related as hospitals can't cope and have to postpone operation.

Problem is the deniers will never accept these numbers, but the are ok with estimated traffic deaths to compare with and then take a whole year and put it against a few months. 

Thanks for the graph i was looking for something more recent. What i had was of last year.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaLa said:

Do the ‘high’ number of cases cause reason to be concerned ? Or should we be worried that at 20,000 cases per day it will take 9 and a half years for the whole population of Thailand to have contracted Covid. Imagine if the restrictions and border controls are still in place in 1 year, 2 years , 9 years?

You make a very valid point.

'What do we want?'

'Herd immunity!'

'When do we want it?' 

'NOW!' (not in 9 years time)

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Today there were 212 deaths in #Thailand

116 males & 96 females

5 foreigners died

Median age is 67 (31-97 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (99)

Deaths reported in 36 provinces

67% of those who died were older than 60 years old

4 died at home

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1423891459367833605

The fatalities were 116 men and 96 women (207 Thais, 2 Myanmars, 2 Chineses, and one Indian) aged between 31-97.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/08/07/recap-thailand-announces-21838-new-cases-of-covid-19-and-212-additional-deaths/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

Problem is the deniers will never accept these numbers, but the are ok with estimated traffic deaths to compare with and then take a whole year and put it against a few months. 

Straw man argument.   

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Most logical people would not argue that these are covid related even deaths in other fields are covid related as hospitals can't cope and have to postpone operation.

Thanks for the graph i was looking for something more recent. What i had was of last year.

Well, taking the chart into account, there are several good arguments against the "other deaths" explanation:

- the trend seems to follow more or less the epidemic trend

- most "other deaths" should not occur instantly but after some delay. For example, urgent care or surgery is not postponed by hospitals, so what is postponed is not likely to quickly cause deaths. Same for suicide or starving: people don't get desperate enough to massively commit suicide only after one month.

- It's not like India. It's not common at all in Thailand to see people dying from hunger.

Edited by candide

2 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Post a link to just one example?

You could have at least said please. I wouldn't normally post anything on demand.

You must live under a rock. Here's one example from this year. 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/queensland-denies-son-last-chance-to-see-dying-dad/news-story/6533ecedef475f41b06ca205e9692541

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

You could have at least said please. I wouldn't normally post anything on demand.

You must live under a rock. Here's one example from this year. 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/queensland-denies-son-last-chance-to-see-dying-dad/news-story/6533ecedef475f41b06ca205e9692541

What’s inhumane about that in comparison to separating children from their parents? 

This person (and the others like him) had plenty of chance to see their parents. They were caught out due to their own selfishness and trying to make the Covid afflicted world fit into their own agenda.

This is not inhumane.

Just now, Marvin Hagler said:

What’s inhumane about that in comparison to separating children from their parents? 

This person (and the others like him) had plenty of chance to see their parents. They were caught out due to their own selfishness and trying to make the Covid afflicted world fit into their own agenda.

This is not inhumane.

So now you're trying to decide what is humane or not in a comparitive sense. You're talking about degrees of "inhumane".  Yes, I agree that some activities are more inhumane than others, but that's a very weak argument to make.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, anchadian said:

Southeast Asia hit a new high on Friday, reporting 105,287 new Covid-19 cases, and a record 3,069 deaths, the highest on a single day. #Asean #COVID19 #TheNationThailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40004333

I took that data and transformed it based on population and gave a mortality rate based on that data.   Mortality rate in the US was around 1.74%, and in Canada a smidgen higher.  Now I suspect that people living here have no deficiency in Vitamin D so I would expect the mortality rate to be less, possibly more if the health care system has collapsed in the country.  That being said some of the data seems to indicate data may be under-reported for certain values (likely due to failure to do comprehensive testing for non-hospitalized cases). 

image.png.7e6e61d0ad55c3b68b24463cefbf0bc7.png

7 minutes ago, Marvin Hagler said:

Not even close…you are producing weak (or non) evidence to support a false accusation.

Try again. Post a case where Australia has been inhumane in regards to Covid. Where they have introduced or applied inhumane policies eg separating children from their parents and putting them in state care due to a Covid positive test.

Your argument was a weak as they come. You're suggesting that one activity is not inhumane because you think that another activity is more inhumane.

Obviously "inhumanity" is subjective too, so an activity I consider inhumane is not to you. Let's hang up the gloves now Marvin Hagler - we're both wasting our time here. 

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Your argument was a weak as they come. You're suggesting that one activity is not inhumane because you think that another activity is more inhumane.

Obviously "inhumanity" is subjective too, so an activity I consider inhumane is not to you. Let's hang up the gloves now Marvin Hagler - we're both wasting our time here. 

No you’re wasting everyone’s time. You said Australia was inhumane when they are clearly not.

To support your view you posted an incredibly weak story that in no way relates to being inhumane. They have this guy the exemption he requested but something has obviously gone wrong somewhere and probably on this guys side. A huge and critical part of the story is missing…they granted him the exemption which is clearly humane. The guy obviously hasn’t met the terms of his exemption.

There is nothing even remotely inhumane about this. It’s just a story of a guy not meeting the rules and not coming back when he had the chance.

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Try again…post a story that supports your view that Australia has demonstrated policies that are inhumane.