Famous people that died too soon

On 8/9/2021 at 9:12 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Graeme Strachan (Shirley) from the Aussie band Skyhooks

Yes. Loved Shirl. Met him, fantastic bloke! RIP. 

Speaking of Aussies…

Les Darcy 21 yo - arguably our best ever boxer. 

Phar Lap 6 yo - arguably our best ever race horse (yeah yeah born in NZ but they sold him to us before he raced)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Yes. Loved Shirl. Met him, fantastic bloke! RIP. 

Speaking of Aussies…

Les Darcy 21 yo - arguably our best ever boxer. 

Phar Lap 6 yo - arguably our best ever race horse (yeah yeah born in NZ but they sold him to us before he raced)

I met William Shakespeare (John Clave) a couple of times as he lived close to my mates place, he had a number one with My little Angel, another song was Can't stop myself from loving you.

Also met the lead singer of The Little River Band, Glen Shorrock, under bizarre circumstances, boss and I went over to his waterfront place in Birchgrove NSW, knocked on the door, no answer, boss turned the handle and in we went, he was yelling out for him and a voice said, I'm up top, so we went up this spiral staircase and there he was sunbaking on his flat roof starkers, I was very uncomfortable as he handed me a beer, he didn't give a rats, he said you don't mind do yah, I said no, not at all, your right at home, then he and the boss started carrying on laughing and joking, then it was down to business. 

Also met the late Jonathon Coleman and Bernard King at a party, funny guy Coleman, reminded me of Lou Costello, and said watch out for that one he's got a bent wrist, referring to Bernard King, also met at Simon Townsend at the same party, but his dog Woodrow wasn't with him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I met William Shakespeare (John Clave) a couple of times as he lived close to my mates place, he had a number one with My little Angel, another song was Can't stop myself from loving you.

Also met the lead singer of The Little River Band, Glen Shorrock, under bizarre circumstances, boss and I went over to his waterfront place in Birchgrove NSW, knocked on the door, no answer, boss turned the handle and in we went, he was yelling out for him and a voice said, I'm up top, so we went up this spiral staircase and there he was sunbaking on his flat roof starkers, I was very uncomfortable as he handed me a beer, he didn't give a rats, he said you don't mind do yah, I said no, not at all, your right at home, then he and the boss started carrying on laughing and joking, then it was down to business. 

Also met the late Jonathon Coleman and Bernard King at a party, funny guy Coleman, reminded me of Lou Costello, and said watch out for that one he's got a bent wrist, referring to Bernard King, also met at Simon Townsend at the same party, but his dog Woodrow wasn't with him.

Mate, you should kick off a new thread… “Famous people you have met”.

Would def be some interesting responses!

• Haha 1

Too soon , too soon? Everybody die some time.

And sometimes they choose to die. Being famous, too much.

Minnie Riperton died too early (breastcancer), just in her thirties and known by just one hit. "loving you" Really amazing song.

Im more wondered of who is still alive, like an Ozzy Osbourne or Alice Cooper.

As of this , i checked on one of my favorites in my youth Slade, they are all alive, still.

Too soon, i can say Rick Parfitt (Status Quo), complications on infections in shoulder in Spain, thats odd. Gary Moore also died in Spain.

Mmm dont got to Spain if you are a famous guitar player in your fifties? 

The real tragedies are the creative people who are cut off short of their peak. In the world of music I always think of Buddy Holly, and to a lesser extent Eddie Cochran, who had achieved so much by the age of 21/22 that we can but wonder what they might have gone on to produce. In the classical field, Mozart has already been mentioned, but many other (including Schubert, Chopin and Gershwin) did not reach 40. In the art world, van Gogh comes to mind. Poets such as Keats, Shelley and Owen died before 30, and none of the Bronte sisters survived long. 

Compare these with some of the other names mentioned. Would they have gone on to produce any greater work, or had they already peaked? Elvis for one was already on the slippery slope and had become a caricature of his former self, Morrison was never going to recapture the magic, and the jury must be out on Lennon, Hendrix, and even Winehouse who seemed to be bent on self-destruction.

And that's without considering the scientists and world leaders, which is another ballgame.

• Like 2

Karen Carpenter had an angelic voice...tho as you well know I don't believe in angels! 555

Definitely Bowie 

Eddie Van Halen 

Bon Scott (love Brian Johnson)

Malcolm Young 

John Lennon 

George Harrison 

(Paul McCartney 555 remember that hoax?!?) 

7 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Alan Turning 42, British polymath;   James Clerk Maxwell 48, Scottish mathematician.

Several groundbreaking mathematicians died young, most notably Galois at the age of just 20.

Me.

I died too soon, here, before I was able to really hit my stride.

Others, more important than I who died too soon?

Others, who I might give my life for, if I could trade my life in order that they might live longer?

I would NEED to mention Richard Smalley of Buckyball fame, a Nobel Laureate who was kind to everybody, and humble.

There are others who are more worthy to be alive, than I.

I might say that I wish they were alive in my place, and that I had been hit by a bus, rather than to see them die.

64 carbons in just one molecule, Man.

It can't get any better than this!

1066232300_41586_2015_Article_BFnature201517987_Figa_HTML(2).jpg.1cfbed8821a638dc99630bcb93670482.jpg