Thailand reports highs for new COVID-19 cases and recoveries

webfact

COVID16.jpg

File photo: Reuters

Thailand on Thursday (August 12) reported 22,782 new COVID-19 cases and 147 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 22,407 new infections

● 375 prison / prison infections

● 23,649 recoveries

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 839,771 with 6,642 deaths. 
(Total infections since April 1: 810,908)

The news comes as 15,588 people in Bangkok, tested positive for COVID-19 using Antigen Test Kits (ATK), out of 141,516 (11%) screened between August 4th and 9th, according to the Ministry of Public Health today (Wednesday).

The tests were from the third round of active screening, conducted in congested communities in the capital by the ministry and rural doctors. 15,074 were subsequently sent for RT-PCR tests, with 2.1% or 323 of them found to be in a serious condition and 69.5% having only mild symptoms or were asymptomatic, said Deputy Permanent Secretary for Health Dr. Yongyuth Thammawut.

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update12AUG).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can someone explain exactly what "recoveries" mean in these daily released figures? 

It can neither be based on negative followup tests or discharge from hospital. And of course impossible to follow up every case. It has to be some kind of algorithm with median time from onset to recovery is used, like 2 weeks for mild and 8 weeks for severe-(just a guess) 

Edited by RotBenz8888
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Over 5,000 serious and 1,000 on ventilators very sad to see this. I am sure they have the information would like to see how many of them have been vaccinated and what vaccine they received.

that information won't be shared unless they have been vaccinated with AZ, Moderna, Pfizer, Sputnik, Johnson and Johnson etc.

Now it´s so bad, that they since 2 to 3 days back started to publish recoveries together with new cases. We do all in over power to not make it sound so bad. However, the world is watching and what we see is the reality.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

Was keeping cases under 100 a condition for continuation of the Phuket Sandbox?  And if so what will happen now?

Not sure it was contingent on just over 90 as the original article stated.  The sandbox as far as those arriving has shown a few infections, but the real question is how many of those working in the sandbox venues have tested positive after being vaccinated.  We never hear about that now do we.  I do not wish a failure of the sandbox schemed, I just want to ensure that those arriving are not in danger of becoming infected by someone on the island they are around.  The cases of those isolating at home on Phuket who have been tested with the ATK rapid tests is also an unknown.  I would hope there would be full disclosure of all so people can make informed decisions on their travel and visitation.

Waiting to see todays numbers for all the provinces to see where it is growing.  Looking over the past two weeks for Udon Thani the numbers have dropped into the 100's and then pushed up over 200 then dropping back down and then going up again.  Not sure what's really going on their.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It can neither be based on negative followup tests or discharge from hospital. And of course impossible to follow up every case. It has to be some kind of algorithm with median time from onset to recovery is used, like 2 weeks for mild and 8 weeks for severe-(just a guess) 

Algorithim! Thats a goodone.. Surprised you haven,t been flooded with likes.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Didn't we go through this yesterday, without resolution? My guess it's people who have been discharged from hospital. Not really sure how else it can be measured.

I'm betting most of us know someone or know of someone who was discharged from the hospital even though they were still sick.  Maybe given a couple of weeks worth of favipiravir and paracetamol and told to take it easy.  If the authorities are counting these people as "recovered," they they're juking the stats.  (Which would be s-h-o-c-k-i-n-g!  55)

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Probably someone could look at the daily numbers and find clear patterns when decreases over two or three days are followed by a spike.  It seems that numbers on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are consistently the highest.

It’s an artifact ™️.

So you say, darn that actually makes about as much sense as saying the numbers porpoise.....lol

• Like 1