Outbreak greatest threat to Sandbox, says TAT Phuket chief

webfact

1628745046_1-org.jpg

The TAT will launch a campaign highlighting that Phuket is separated from the ’dark red’ high-risk COVID zones zones elsewhere in the country, TAT Phuket Director Nanthasiri Ronnasiri said. Photo: PR Phuket

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The rate of COVID-19 infections across the island is the greatest threat to the Phuket Sandbox scheme, with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) ready to launch a campaign specifically targeting US arrivals to stabilise the number of arrivals under the project, TAT Phuket Director Nanthasiri Ronnasiri has announced.

Speaking at the daily COVID situation meeting led by Governor Narong Woonciew yesterday (Aug 11), Ms Nanthasiri noted that bookings had continued well for the first 10 days of August.

“It is a good sign. In only 10 days there are already bookings for more than 140,000 room nights. It is expected that if the COVID-19 outbreak can be controlled well this high season [Oct-Feb], the economy may grow,” she said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/outbreak-greatest-threat-to-sandbox-says-tat-phuket-chief-81028.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-12

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

The rate of COVID-19 infections across the island is the greatest threat to the Phuket Sandbox scheme,

maybe not .... maybe lack of safety is the greatest one

Let them play in the Sandbox.. They are vaccinated for 75 % so what can happen?? The tourists are all vaccinated too.. Many countries have given a negative travel advice for Thailand, and the ones who need to come will have to do a lot of paperwork and pay a lot more for tests and insurance. But is still is a big success. Losing face is impossible...And now... a foreigner lost in the jungle and a Swiss woman murdered... But the success  story will be continued

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I'm in Patong right now and can say apart from hordes of geriatric looking hookers plying their trade from massage shops there is not much else open to get excited about here, mostly not worth the effort to leave my hotel room and its rainy season.

Some may disagree but if I was here just on holiday I'd wish I wasn't???? 

i can see returners using the sandbox to get into thailand,  but who wants to come out of lockdown in their own country to go for a holiday to a country with a lockdown?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Wasn't 90 cases within a week the threshold for shutting it down?

Yes it was the stated number of Infections to be allowed in order to keep the Tourists safe.

But everything has changed due to the smell of some Tourist Money, and safety, as always will go down the gurgler in order to keep that smell wafting over the Island.

However, now the cases seem to be rising very quickly on the Island, as is the way with the Delta Variant, and soon the safety of the Tourists will have to be considered seriously, or some kind of incident may take place that will ruin Thai tourism for Years to come.

it would be better to pull the Plug now and the Authorities to declare the Sandbox closed. This way they will save face and gain respect.

Having some kind of an outbreak incident just aint gonna cut it, and all the apologies in the World wont work.

Sometimes, sanity is the better part of Valor

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Wasn't 90 cases within a week the threshold for shutting it down?

It was. But in TAT's defence that they never told you the 90 cases per week threshold was designed for the sandbox tourists group only. When the threshold was decided, the number crunchers never expected the local would get even close to 9 cases per week. Until they realised unvaccinated Thai workers or tourists from the north are bring in the Delta variant and then it is too late. 

I fully expect one article will exploit the '90 cases per sandbox tourists group weekly' idea soon to make sure people believe sandbox scheme is working well.

30 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Yes it was the stated number of Infections to be allowed in order to keep the Tourists safe.

But everything has changed due to the smell of some Tourist Money, and safety, as always will go down the gurgler in order to keep that smell wafting over the Island.

However, now the cases seem to be rising very quickly on the Island, as is the way with the Delta Variant, and soon the safety of the Tourists will have to be considered seriously, or some kind of incident may take place that will ruin Thai tourism for Years to come.

it would be better to pull the Plug now and the Authorities to declare the Sandbox closed. This way they will save face and gain respect.

Having some kind of an outbreak incident just aint gonna cut it, and all the apologies in the World wont work.

Sometimes, sanity is the better part of Valor

99% of the local Thai people don't smell anything.

I have seen no appreciable difference for ordinary Thais since the Sandbox opened.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skatewash said:

There are in fact only a small number of countries in the world that the CDC does not have on their "not recommended" list for vaccinated travelers to visit.

They want us barricaded into our basements.  Makes their statistics look better.  Devastates the economy, but that's another Department's problem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I'm in Patong right now and can say apart from hordes of geriatric looking hookers plying their trade from massage shops there is not much else open to get excited about here, mostly not worth the effort to leave my hotel room and its rainy season.

Sorry to read your time here in Phuket is not living up to your likely hopes and expectations.

I think thou, if you had asked any Phuket expat, prior to booking, everyone would have told you that going to Patong now is a bad idea ... really bad. 

Rawai, Chalong, ... and even Phuket Town are more lively.  Patong has been pretty much 'dead' for over a year now. ... Also, with latest spike in infections causing restaurants to stop serving alcohol, my view is even restaurants in Chalong and Rawai are very subdued.

• Like 1

I think that mostly people with family in Thailand are the ones travelling to there at present. I guess a

few desperate tourists who just can not wait to see the tropics may travel to Thailand in the High season after October.

My Thai family tells me to stay away until October of 2022, or better October of 2023. They are hoping that the variants

will have died off, as well as the original COVID virus strain.  I agree 100 hundred percent. Looks like another cold Canadian Winter

for me this year.

Geezer

7 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Sorry to read your time here in Phuket is not living up to your likely hopes and expectations.

I think thou, if you had asked any Phuket expat, prior to booking, everyone would have told you that going to Patong now is a bad idea ... really bad. 

Rawai, Chalong, ... and even Phuket Town are more lively.  Patong has been pretty much 'dead' for over a year now. ... Also, with latest spike in infections causing restaurants to stop serving alcohol, my view is even restaurants in Chalong and Rawai are very subdued.

It's exactly my expectation ????