Paranoia?

StreetCowboy

11 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Nope, my mate neil looks after me. Although everybody ignores him to the extent that its almost like he's not there...

It's great to have an imaginary friend to look after you, even if its only other people that think he's imaginary.

Ye're dedonthair, bytheway. Mebbe if yer pal had a facebook page he'd huv mair credibility.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Nobody's out to get me. They do look over my shoulder to see my large shaft. They always let me get on with my life, no choice.

Mom says beat them and they will go away. 

I live in peaceful meadows and greenest pastures. 

My stick is really long.

Why?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, A1Str8 said:

Nobody's out to get me. They do look over my shoulder to see my large shaft. They always let me get on with my life, no choice.

Mom says beat them and they will go away. 

I live in peaceful meadows and greenest pastures. 

My stick is really long.

Why?

As usual and as I mentioned before. Yet again, the tough guy behind the keyboard.

Speaking of paranoia and other personality disorders, the other Catch-22 in this case is that one might not even realize that one is suffering from a personality disorder, due to the symptoms of personality disorder, itself, which cause the sufferer to become completely oblivious to the illness.

Do you recall what happened to Captain Yossarian? He was just filled with paranoia.  And yet, he was the only sane one in the novel.

Heller wrote a hellishly beautiful and biting book.

One topic added by some poster on this forum, recently, asked for suggestions of titles to read, these days, during this virus season, and now, during the Afghanistan pullout. Maybe Catch-22 would be about right.  Few guys can write like Heller about the insanity of war.

Nothing warms the soul, these days, like reading about absurdism and irony and paradox.

Do you recall Colonel Colonel?  I love this name.  But, why is the L pronounced like an R when voicing the name colonel? 

Great topic.

The best topic I have ever seen here, in fact.

methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_bfebfd07-cbc8-30f3-8109-b8dc7c91f9ea.jpg.7779f1d545edd5913feb1b67e33746e2.jpg

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 2

Interesting personas that some adopt. One has to question why they feel the need to invent another persona entirely.

Is the persona they have created the one with paranoia, or the real person the one with paranoia and hence the emergence of the online persona ? A true chicken and egg scenatio or are they both one and the same a troubled mind of schizophrenia?

In my experience people behave very different online than they ever would in person. Especially with what they say and how they speak to others.

"People with paranoid schizophrenia have an altered perception of reality. They may see or hear things that don’t exist, speak in confusing ways, believe that others are trying to harm them, or feel like they’re being constantly watched"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is actually a topic near and dear to my heart.

Although I believe that I do not suffer from personality disorder, yet I DO know that I am somewhat neurotically inclined to experience minor paranoia, from time to time, and even a sense of persecution, on occasion.

Sometimes, I think that people are watching me.

I feel it most markedly each time I post a questionable post on this forum, especially.

I mean, I know that my posts are GOOD, but I also know that people are watching me as I type my posts in the privacy of my own house, even minutes before I type them.

This occasionally leads me to my irrational belief that I might be experiencing some sort of persecution from members or others, particularly those who know what I am about to post, even days before I had the inkling that I would post anything.

Sometimes, there are forum members who reply to my posts, even before I have posted my posts. And, I know why..

Another thing I have noticed is that, no matter what I post, after I post, my posts seem to have been written by somebody else, and not by me.

Yet, when I finally realize that it must have been I who made the post, then, I begin to feel anxious. Because, I know that I am incorrect, and, in truth, my posts are being written by somebody else.

I have checked out this inventory:  Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)

But still, there is no clear mention about my condition, nor where, exactly, I should be classified in the DSM-5.

Everybody knows that when one is feeling paranoia, then it is difficult to trust anyone. And, if I cannot trust anyone, then how can I get any help?

This seems like such a Catch-22.

What do you think?

I think I am saner than most people here. Yet, how can I know for sure, if I cannot trust anyone to tell me the truth?

You have interesting posts and  it  can be hard to know if posts are serious or are in jest. You appear to  recognise there could be an issue. It  doesn't hurt to take stock and make sure all is well. 

You don't have to trust   .. if serious you could get a couple of opinions from professionals and see how you feel. 

55 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Interesting personas that some adopt. One has to question why they feel the need to invent another persona entirely.

Is the persona they have created the one with paranoia, or the real person the one with paranoia and hence the emergence of the online persona ? A true chicken and egg scenatio or are they both one and the same a troubled mind of schizophrenia?

In my experience people behave very different online than they ever would in person. Especially with what they say and how they speak to others.

"People with paranoid schizophrenia have an altered perception of reality. They may see or hear things that don’t exist, speak in confusing ways, believe that others are trying to harm them, or feel like they’re being constantly watched"

Yerdedonthair aboot people wha invent personae, bytheway.  Ah huvnae met an imaginary friend who wisnae hangin' round wi ' a right  eejit. 

Raj

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Years ago, I had a wife who would often spontaneously hallucinate. She never, fortunately, experienced auditory hallucinations telling her to kill me..  However, it is sadly true that she had visual hallucinations, and could see things on our living room wall that were not visible to me.

Mental illness is not a joking matter for those who are afflicted.

In addition, schizophrenia is still, obviously, an incurable aberration of the brain.

Schizophrenia is scariest for the schizophrenic, and not, usually, for society.

Regarding why people behave differently online relative to their behavior in day-to-day real-world interactions, this can be compared to why road-rage occurs due to people feeling as if they are completely isolated in the bubbles of their cars.  They act in very aggressive ways that would not be characteristic of them if they were not inside their cars.  Aggressive driving, tailgating, and other similar driving behaviors is not unlike what you might sometimes experience here.

The solution is to cool it, and try to remain rational, and even try to pretend that one is human, which, as most of us know, we have no right to pretend to be.

Fortunately, for you, though, the people here seem a bunch, more docile than most, and also more intelligent than the general population.

This is true.

We are smarter.

More likeable.

Culturally, more aware.

More generous.

Less stingy (did I mention this?)....

And, physiognomically superior (just guessing, ... because I do not care about physiognomy)

The only thing I can say is that, no matter how diverse one's family, there is no place like home.

There is No Place Like Home.

• Like 1

Never felt that anyone was out to get me not even when i used weed in the Netherlands. 

No need for a larger stick as i never seem to want to lash out at people anyway. 

Actually nobody interferes with my life at all, sure the covid rules but they go for everyone. 

I have been here long enough to know this place is not perfect but neither are other places, wherever you go you will find some negatives. 

I comment on the government but can't say it affects me much in my private life. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, StreetCowboy said:

It's great to have an imaginary friend to look after you, even if its only other people that think he's imaginary.

Ye're dedonthair, bytheway. Mebbe if yer pal had a facebook page he'd huv mair credibility.

I got an imaginary Girlfriend, does that help??? lol 

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I am somewhat dismayed that this is listed as fun and entertainment.

My sister was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic, started when she was about 14yrs old, and my parents went through hell, she kept her room locked always, used to listen ear to the wall, saying the neighbours were talking about her, stared into the mirror asking things like, do you think one eye is bigger than the other, she was very intelligent and loving but could not hold down a job. At one time she went into a mental hospital, short term. Mental illness is no joke.

• Like 1

My bitcoins. I go to extreme lengths to protect them, the wallet and the device they are stored in.

Other than that, I am not at all paranoid. Not even about covid but if over-consuming vitamin supplements is paranoia then it is what it is.

Psalms 23:1 The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

I've no paranoia. Although I have sinned many times, I am prepared.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My sister was diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic, started when she was about 14yrs old, and my parents went through hell, she kept her room locked always, used to listen ear to the wall, saying the neighbours were talking about her, stared into the mirror asking things like, do you think one eye is bigger than the other, she was very intelligent and loving but could not hold down a job. At one time she went into a mental hospital, short term. Mental illness is no joke.

No one is "making fun" of mental ilnesss a comparison was used because of "personas" and nothing more. The topic is in my view, is not a serious one.

31 minutes ago, robblok said:

Never felt that anyone was out to get me not even when i used weed in the Netherlands. 

No need for a larger stick as i never seem to want to lash out at people anyway. 

Actually nobody interferes with my life at all, sure the covid rules but they go for everyone. 

I have been here long enough to know this place is not perfect but neither are other places, wherever you go you will find some negatives. 

I comment on the government but can't say it affects me much in my private life. 

Wow... I pretty much agree, robblok, but commenting on the government is fruitless. Things were bad 20 yrs ago.

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Wow... I pretty much agree, robblok, but commenting on the government is fruitless. Things were bad 20 yrs ago.

Sure its fruitless and i say i comment on them even though it does not really affect me.  Some might see the complaining about the goverment as something that bothers me. It does in a way but not on a personal level. Though if they had done a better job we would have less covid rules now. But that is about it can't say i have seen much change in how the different governments work. 

All seem to mess up hide their mistakes attack those who are not on their side and spread misinformation (talking about Thai governments). Pretty sure if this one falls the next will use the same tricks even if its the opposition. I think i see the commenting more as a sport than that it personally gets to me.

45 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

As I stated above, correctly, and as you say:  mental illness is NOT a joke. In fact, it is a scary thing for those who suffer from it.  Mental illness can be far worse than cancer, simply because cancer can be cured, while mental illness, so far, is incurable.

It is almost impossible to "recover" from schizophrenia.

I recall reading a book about a  physician who suffered from schizophrenia. Good book, but I can't think of the title. That was a long time ago. He never recovered from the aberration, and he only was able to learn how to cope.

Still, even though you are correct that mental illness of any form is NEVER a joke, and sometimes worse than cancer, I am very sure that this topic is not what you might think, and does not actually refer to any form of clinically diagnosed mental illness.

Rather, it might refer to imagined paranoia caused by things like going to war and being shot at, and then thinking that "people are trying to kill me".

Or, for example, posting on a blog, and then having a comment removed for good reason, but irrationally thinking that there must be a conspiracy to remove my posts.

Also, for those who believe in irrational conspiracy theories, then such a thing is not related to mental illness.

Surely, there is no intention here to discount the true tragedy which is mental illness, still incurable after all these years.

Unfortunately, diseases of the mind are, yet, not understood.

The brain is a black box, still.

30 more years, and we may begin to have a clue as to the electrochemical mechanisms which control behavior.

By then, we may also have a better understanding of the nature of consciousness, and how to duplicate it in silicon, graphene, or some other material.

Mental illness is not a joke because:  A broken femur can be fixed, while a broken mind is still not fixable. Even A Beautiful Mind cannot be fixed.

Mental illness is not a joke.

However, this does not mean that humor should not be used to discuss and react to the fact of mental illness.  Humor is born from things that we are otherwise unable to speak of, directly.  Things that affect all of us. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin