Number of foreigners that died of covid?

mell

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Good friend in Bkk, a Brit died a week ago of Covid. He was living with a Thai family that all got it, but he was the only one to die, probably because of his age, 79.

Was he vaccinated? At his age, there should be a priority for him to get the vaccine.

Edited by EricTh

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Good friend in Bkk, a Brit died a week ago of Covid. He was living with a Thai family that all got it, but he was the only one to die, probably because of his age, 79.

My condolences, giddyup. Sad to lose a friend especially to Covid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pomchop said:

In USA a small fraction of the people who have received the shots have died....meantime those with no shots fill the hospitals and many get very sick or even die.  The shots work and all but the blind deaf dumb should be able to easily determine that the odds of having problems from a shot are microscopic compared to the odds of being unvaccinated and getting sick or dying.

4,409,757 people have died so far from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak as of August 19, 2021, 12:37 GMT. 

What about the data from VAERS?

• Sad 1

Foreigners are dying of COVID here, to suggest otherwise is silly.

When a foreigner dies of COVID, mention is made of that fact in the daily announcements. 

The government obviously knows the nationality of all foreigners who've died from COVID.

The mix of foreigners probably closely follow that of the total population of foreigners.

The level of detail the OP is looking for exists, again obviously, just not sure it's publicly available without a massive research effort by someone fluent in Thai?

Having the government mention foreigners dying of COVID makes the case for vaccinating them/us so that is one reason they do mention it.

• Like 1

I'm concerned about the Mafia and Covid vaccine.

Have all the Chinese Mafia in Bangkok  'shots'? And the Russian Mafia in Pattaya? And the Vietnamese Mafia in Phuket?

These people are all VIPs and they deserve 'hits'.

Did the Russians have Sputnik? The Chinese Sinovac? The Vietnamese.....?

Or are they all still on the waiting list for Moderna?   I'd like to feel that we have something in common.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Paul Kernell said:

Many ex pats die here from behaving like a teenager, jumping off balconies, drinking like a teenager, humping girls their grand daughter age. That's why they are here and hay hoe its fun, let's go out smiling! It's difficult now but it will get better or worse depending on your point of view.

Speak for your self

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

You will forgive my getting a bit nervous at age 74 with having heart issues. Watching many of my childhood film actors,/actress passing and having already passed the age of demise of many of my male relatives. No worries ... just not in a rush as I am enjoying my retirement in Thailand!!! Now, if I might have access to the Pfizer vaccine here in Chiang Mai ...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=367295011503560&id=103166731249724&__tn__=*s*s-R

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Then you are not following the daily reports

There was one reported this Wednesday and there have been others from time to time. It does happen.

I must confess to hardly following reports of daily infections and deaths. What is the point? I just take precautions and try to avoid getting infected. I've accepted that we will have to live with it,- or the alternative, as we have done with other infectious diseases. Flu for example. Why worry and get depressed? There will be many more who will pop off due to depression, not Covid.????

• Thanks 1

My curious question would be like the  title. How many have died from COVID.

There may be a few people who have died because of their reaction to the

vaccine, however, I believe that the millions that have died from COVID is enough

proof for me to want to get a vaccine if it means that I will be less sick if I do get

COVID in any of its variants. So bangon04,  Is that what you are asking?  Just wondering?

Geezer

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

Was he vaccinated? At his age, there should be a priority for him to get the vaccine.

No, but neither am I and I'm 79 as well. I have to wait for an appointment same as everyone else.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Thais making up that group you would expect 40-50 expats succumbing to Covid-19 thus far.

This seems reasonable.

I can recall ~ five named by reliable, first-hand sources here, and on other social media platforms.

This excludes foreign migrants from nearby countries.

On 8/18/2021 at 2:21 AM, BKKBike09 said:

"Died of" vs "died with" ...

I know one guy who died last month and was treated as dying of Covid (cremation ASAP with only immediate family allowed to attend at temple) - but he was in his 60s and had serious underlying health issues as well so who knows if he really died "of" Covid.

Many die with COVID, but it is a stretch to say they died due to COVID, especially with large numbers of underlying conditions that make them susecptible to all sorts of things

9 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Meanwhile every year, 30,000–50,000 Thai die from HIV or AIDS-related illnesses. Ninety percent of them are ages 20–24, the youngest range of the workforce. 

Correction - the actual number of deaths is declining, and was about 14,000 in 2019.

https://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/asia-pacific/thailand

9 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Assuming 90% of covid deaths are 60+ and with 80K expats and 13M Thais making up that group you would expect 40-50 expats succumbing to Covid-19 thus far.

I think this assumption is incorrect. It wouldn't surprise me if the deaths of farang in Thailand from Covid was still in single figures. Why? Because most of the deaths in Thailand are in the central provinces, around Bangkok. Most older farang live in other areas. Also, where do most of the clusters occur? Factories, prisons, markets and building sites. You will not find many older farang there.

However, as the pandemic spreads into the general population, in remote areas and resort areas, I expect that farang deaths will rise.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:21 PM, BKKBike09 said:

"Died of" vs "died with" ...

I know one guy who died last month and was treated as dying of Covid (cremation ASAP with only immediate family allowed to attend at temple) - but he was in his 60s and had serious underlying health issues as well so who knows if he really died "of" Covid.

who knows?    or who cares?     we are supposed to believe what they tell us to believe .

Covid is coming to get you !!

• Sad 2

I am very healthy and closing in on 80 and I expect to live over 100.   Age means very little other than an excuse to check out early.   
If you truly loved yourself and your body, you would not be expressing these negative rants which will only reinforce your limited time here on Planet Earth.

Build up your immune system with Zinc, vitamins C and D to prevent from getting Covid.

Eat only quality foods and drink only quality liquids and drink lots of clean water (not from plastic). and you will live and feel better every day.   Eat lots of veggies or vegetable juice which is for me a short cut and I look for veggie juice everywhere.   Some folks have rid themselves of major diseases thru vegetable juice only.

You do not have to necessarily cut out your habits of alcohol, sugar, and conventional dairy entirely and your medications.   Simply reduce these things daily with intention to eliminate some day and get back to LOVING AND RESPECTING YOUR BODY GIVEN TO YOU BUY YOUR GOD!

You are in control unless you surrender it.

Edited by Sukkaphapsickle
grammar
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

I think this assumption is incorrect. It wouldn't surprise me if the deaths of farang in Thailand from Covid was still in single figures. Why? Because most of the deaths in Thailand are in the central provinces, around Bangkok. Most older farang live in other areas. Also, where do most of the clusters occur? Factories, prisons, markets and building sites. You will not find many older farang there.

However, as the pandemic spreads into the general population, in remote areas and resort areas, I expect that farang deaths will rise.

covid kills mainly 60+, 92% of deaths. plus many farang here are in bad health, drinking , overweight etc. I actually think it maybe higher. Single digits no way. As a side note 50,000 thais die each your from AIDS since the 80s but little is said or done. Isn't that strange like covid is the flavor of the month

On 8/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, wonder6281 said:

I wonder how many died from the jab?

Maximum 0,00127% if we use the 330 millions that had Pfizer in Europe and where 4198 deaths are being investigated. 

Data from EMAs homepage. 

Care to calculate the risk of dying with covid 19?  I can tell you it is a lot higher..... 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Assuming 90% of covid deaths are 60+ and with 80K expats and 13M Thais making up that group you would expect 40-50 expats succumbing to Covid-19 thus far.

this has not been the case in Thailand (that 90% of the deaths are elderly.

because the cases is Thailand are disproportionately occurring in working age people, the deaths are likewise.

Actually nowadays in Western countries the age of people dying of COVID has come way down, as immunization rates are highest in the oldest age groups. In the first wave of the pandemic, it swept through nursing homes in developed countries so indeed at that point the age profile of thsoe dying was quite old on average. No longer the case.

Also questionable that there are 80K expats aged over 60.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

this has not been the case in Thailand (that 90% of the deaths are elderly.

because the cases is Thailand are disproportionately occurring in working age people, the deaths are likewise.

Actually nowadays in Western countries the age of people dying of COVID has come way down, as immunization rates are highest in the oldest age groups. In the first wave of the pandemic, it swept through nursing homes in developed countries so indeed at that point the age profile of thsoe dying was quite old on average. No longer the case.

Also questionable that there are 80K expats aged over 60.

So your estimate of expat deaths from covid and your basis for the number?

On 8/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, Virt said:

I'm not sure I'm looking at the same data as you are, but as far as I can see, approximately 17,000 died from Hiv in 2019 in Thailand.

If that is the correct number it's still more than I thought. It's close to 8 % of the total deaths in Thailand if my calculator works. Almost at par with road deaths, which is kinda spooky. 

12,000 is the 2020 estimate.

Certainly has nto been anywhere near 50,000 a year for a long time now

https://www.unaids.org/en/regionscountries/countries/thailand

And indeed most COVID deaths in Thailand are under age 60. that was so even before Delta as most cases are in working age people

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, khunjeff said:

An American was reported as having died yesterday. There are "foreign" Covid deaths reported almost every day; most seem to be Burmese, but there are regular small numbers of westerners, Japanese, Chinese, and others.

I don't look every day but when I do invariably there is one Chinese included in the figures. Never realised there were so many long stay Chinese in Thailand. 

Edited by rott