Cabinet U-turns on COVID-19 antigen test kits’ WHO standards

webfact

ชุดตรวจโควิด-19.jpg

The cabinet, with the agreement of the Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, withdrew his instruction, issued a week ago, that the rapid antigen test kits (ATK), to be procured by the National Health Security Office (NHSO), must meet WHO standards, paving the way for the signing of a deal to buy Chinese-made kits.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Traisulee Traisoranakul said that Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul explained to the cabinet that the 8.5 million ATKs, to be purchased by the Government Pharmaceutical Organization for the NHSO, are for home use and are not the professional use type, which has been approved by WHO.

He also said that WHO has, to date, not approved any brand of home use ATKs.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabinet-u-turns-on-covid-19-antigen-test-kits-who-standards/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

More Chinese rubbish that i will never buy or use , just like Sinovac which only has a 13.8% capability of working against the Delta Variant according to China itself .

Your not thinking like a Junta - think of the big big markups and hidden transactions.

• Haha 1

From same company that sold them the bomb detectors? I guess not.

I'll stick with the old school test. Flip a coin should be as accurate... up the percentage by doing 3 our of 5 or more

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The cabinet, with the agreement of the Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, withdrew his instruction, issued a week ago, that the rapid antigen test kits (ATK), to be procured by the National Health Security Office (NHSO), must meet WHO standards, paving the way for the signing of a deal to buy Chinese-made kits

Uncle Xi will be happy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

More Chinese rubbish that i will never buy or use , just like Sinovac which only has a 13.8% capability of working against the Delta Variant according to China itself .

Wu Flu test you kit.

• Like 1

the govt & their lackies are making millions from covid with all the graft going on with vaccines, medication and test kits etc, as long as they are getting money the people dont matter, these kits have been shown to be no good as well as refused in western countries but Thailand is still getting them, have to wonder just how much they are being paid to do so, pm has done a huge turn around so it must be a good one

I am still not sure which u-turn it is on the same issue and if they are going forward with deal or going back to square one.

All explanations are clear as mud, unless somebody want's to waste their nerves on following daily news. Looks like a lot of infighting for personal benefits.

Now, which anutin stole my pfizer? that's already almost 4 weeks since it's defrosting at the rancho. I can live without any tests, so far they were not needed. But might be difficult to live without good vax

Edited by internationalism

11 hours ago, keith101 said:

Nonsense. That figure was for after the first vaccination. According to that study after the 2nd vaccination it has an effectiveness rate against infection of 59%. Or are you only going to cherry pick from that study the results that confirm your prejudices?

The WHO Emergency Use Listing for Rapid Antigen Tests has only two products, one manufactured by SD Biosensor, Inc, the other by Abbott Rapid Diagnostics Jena GmbH.

200922-eul-sars-cov2-product-list.pdf

However, that list is dated 2 October 2020 but I cannot find a later one.

Judging from a recent article in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, research with the antigen test of Roche showed a much lower accuracy than what the manufacturer claimed. Therefore, it does not seem to matter much whether Thailand buys the test kits from China or from another country.

Accuracy of the SARS-CoV-2 Roche/SD Biosensor rapid antigen test:

65.3% overall sensitivity

44.0% sensitivity in asymptomatic individuals