There are quite a few DYNAMITE writers on this forum

What I am saying is that:

Some have what it takes.

Some are just pretenders who wish they could write beautifully.

Some are guys who would die just in order to write one single beautiful sentence in their life, like Hemingway.

I have read a few good paragraphs here...  Because, there are good writers here.

When I read a good writer, then I know one.

BUT, JUST WISHING TO BECOME a writer of great paragraphs does not make one, one.

This is a gift.

This is just a gift.

We know beauty when we see it.

The greatest paragraph I have ever seen was written by Philip Roth.

I just wish that someone would post just one well-crafted paragraph to prove my point that there is one writer here worth his or her salt.

I know you guys all have a secret wish that you will, some day, be in Sweden, and bow down to the Nobel committee.

I know that this is your secret wish.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The death of Philip Roth this week led to near instantaneous debate about which of his books was his best. There was the transgressive Roth; the epic, historical Roth; the personal, memoiristic Roth; the postmodernist playful Roth. His genius has been an inspiration and a prod to a few generations of writers now. And it usually comes down to the individual book, that one book, which first opened their mouths in awe.

In that spirit, we asked a number of great, contemporary novelists, critics and historians, to make their own case for Roth’s greatest book.

The thing is that:

There are many people reading this forum.  And, some of the people who read this forum are excellent writers.

Let's all think about writing ability in terms of the S curve, or the Normal curve.

On the very far right of this curve, then you get great writers. Still, by definition, there are just too few at the very far right.

Think of your writing ability in terms of Standards of Deviation.

Are you really as good as you think you are?

I really do doubt it.

10.4135_9781483381411-fig37.jpg.3642a288744a4c6dab4502579b8e3e2e.jpg

Regarding Greek Life:

Too few of us know Greek script.

Here is the Greek, or, as some say, the Euclidean alphabet, which we should all know....

Α α, Β β, Γ γ, Δ δ, Ε ε, Ζ ζ, Η η, Θ θ, Ι ι, Κ κ, Λ λ, Μ μ, Ν ν, Ξ ξ, Ο ο, Π π, Ρ ρ, Σ σ/ς, Τ τ, Υ υ, Φ φ, Χ χ, Ψ ψ, and Ω ω

When I think of the Greek, then I think of John Belushi.

• Like 1

What I mean is:

We have lost very many bright lights, such as John Cheever, Belushi, and so many others, due to drugs.

Message to children:  Do NOT take drugs.

Because, too many great talents were lost due to drugs.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Fine writers I doubt need to post something then answer it three times in the next three posts

You are a good writer.  I have read some of your posts.

You are a good writer, but not a particularly great writer.

What a pity, because, no matter how much you might write, thousands of hours you might practice, you will never become a great writer.

It's like this, my friend, 10,000 hours will never make you great, at anything.

You will never become a Magic Johnson.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, nkg said:

It must be galling to waste your undoubted genius on us dullards. Few here if any can rival your mastery of the florid monologue.

The only posters I can think of that are as prolific and inexorable as you would be the likes of BigStar and Jsixpack. To witness you exchanging words with those titans of wordsmithery would be glorious indeed.

Your profile photo reminds me of the most beloved person of my life.

You know, my friends....

I really do not understand why you might feel aggrieved at my true wish to compliment some of you, though not all of you, concerning your writing skills.

You and I are in the same boat. You and I are just third-class writers.

And, some of us know it.

However, I know that you have, just as I also have, read some words written by great writers.

For example, the "Far Eastern Economic Review".

The words written by those good authors were SPECTACULAR.  You cannot deny it.

Well, anyway, the great authors who once published on that spectacular rag are no more.

Maybe you should check out the history of the the rag, Far Eastern Economic Review, and just wonder why those writers were ....  so amazing.

By the way, I am sure that there are writers here who once wrote for FEER.  But, they will not post here, I guess.  The reason they do not post here is because they are so far superior to us.

The FEER was truly an amazing publication.  The reason it did not last is because.....it was just too good to be true.

Take care, my friends.

One more thing, my friends:

Due to the virus, I know that you are not here, the place where you would dearly love to be, at this very moment.

Let me tell you, Being Here is just so great.

Someday soon, you will be here with me.

Until this day happens, my heart goes out to you.

Take care, my friends.

Take care!