You are Not going to believe what just happened

billaaa777

17 hours ago, billaaa777 said:

I looked around, and saw a 1 meter by 1 meter drain cover that was about 4” thick with concrete that had been moved. I have no idea if the water was strong enough to move it,

Yes the pressure from the water under the cover will move the cover if not secured down, Happens a lot. Stormwater drain covers, Sewage manhole covers ,cable drain covers.

Just now, sanuk711 said:

I don't understand...did he not see the warning tree branch sticking up...........:coffee1:

2,696,001 Tree Branches Stock Photos and Images - 123RF

It would have been washed away but branches in the road  are ( If there) a good sign that summat is up ahead.  Better then the bricks that get left where a vehicle has stopped and brick there to stop vehicle running back.

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes very frightening as you don't know whats below as i always worry about exposed sharp rebar. 

He's very luck in one sense that you happened to be driving past.    And what's he doing out walking in heavy rain. 

Wonder why he wouldn't go to hospital .....  ?   x-rays cost 100bht ..

Probably scared of getting ripped off, and rightly so.

Had a friend had an accident when he cracked his ribs.

Would not go to the hospital and just took some pain killers.

He was found dead a couple of days later alone in his condo.

He had also punctured his lung in the accident.

Maybe you can go back and check out this guy who had the accident.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes very frightening as you don't know whats below as i always worry about exposed sharp rebar. 

He's very luck in one sense that you happened to be driving past.    And what's he doing out walking in heavy rain. 

Wonder why he wouldn't go to hospital .....  ?   x-rays cost 100bht ..

...thank God the OP didn't first film him and post; but jumped right in there and helped...front row seats for you in heaven.

A couple of people have suggested I try and find him and see how he is doing. I did not think about that, but I think it is a good idea because he was in shock holding his ribs moaning in pain while he was riding in the car. 

He was a foreigner by the way and after I got him out of the drain I held him upright for 5 minutes or so and he told me he left his motorbike because the roads were too flooded and decided to walk instead. When he said this, I knew old age was starting to kick in and he was definitely not thinking correctly. 

There is a problem though, I really don’t know where I dropped him off at. If you are coming from Pattaya to Jomtien on second road I will need to take a left at all of those little Soi’s till I find the small hotel where I left him, and I do remember what it looked like. So, I should be able to find it with a little work.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, billaaa777 said:

If you are coming from Pattaya to Jomtien on second road I will need to take a left at all of those little Soi’s till I find the small hotel where I left him, and I do remember what it looked like.

You could look on Google street maps from the comfort of your chair to find the hotel before venturing out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9209482,100.8721273,3a,75y,177.8h,96.24t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sFJsgO_3mZ4tAMiKtpvNVrw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i45

Some 40 years ago I was at a party in Kota Kinabalu when we heard a commotion outside. It had been raining heavily all day and the road was flooded ankle deep. A late comer had parked his car, removed his shoes and socks and rolled up his trousers and walked about 30 metres to the house. In the dark he could not see the path into the house, guessed wrongly and stepped straight into one of the 2 metre deep storm drains which lined the road. It took 3 of us to get him out and we spent the rest of the evening in sarongs and Tee shirts lent by the host.

We had a hard rainstorm here in the Detroit area, driving to work that morning I barely saw in time that a manhole cover was blown out from the water! If I had driven into it, it would have destroyed the front end of my car! Phew!! ????

On 8/27/2021 at 4:10 PM, billaaa777 said:

I looked around, and saw a 1 meter by 1 meter drain cover that was about 4” thick with concrete that had been moved. I have no idea if the water was strong enough to move it,

yes, water from a flash flood has the energy to do that - seen it with my own eyes and quite shocking - also very dangerous, watched 2x huge iron manhole covers blown out of the center of a road in quick succession, they were about 30m apart and the one closest to me popped out about 10ft in the air and a couple of seconds later the other one did the same, never seen anything like it or ever again 

On 8/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, shdmn said:

I think the city has people remove some of the drain covers when it floods because some of them get clogged with garbage and don't allow the water to drain properly.  It could also be some nearby shop owners that do it.

So, manslaughter or murder charge? 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, Bohemianfish said:

Wow, what a story. We live in the suburbs of Seattle and I was out for a Sunday morning run and someone (druggies?) took all of the large storm drain covers for about a mile stretch. Called 911 to report, they asked if I was okay. If it was any darker, someone could have fallen in. 

Always good to watch where you walk! Particularly in Thailand or where you least expect it!

A regular hazard heading home drunk in Manila at 2 a.m. fortunately my stagger had me zig and zag around them at the right frequency.

• Haha 1

"he drops instantly 5 feet into an open water drain for the city's water drainage. I park the car, wad through the water, and help pull him out. The water was above his waist"

He dropped 5 feet and the water level was only above his waist? Was he 9 feet tall? ????

Joking, in all seriousness I've remember when I was in S Korea during monsoon season they told me people die from walking in calf deep running water and then not being able to see where they are stepping they fall into an open manhole cover, the most common reason for the open drain was nearby shops/residents remove the covers to allow water to drain faster.  These flash floods are no joke, be safe.