What's Wrong with the Rain?

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Farmers do not produce food for any altruistic reasons. The people who do the hard work are just trying to make a living, not to feed you. A lot of farms are owned by very rich people who aren't too concerned about your table either, but their profit.

Not to mention the lads that supply seed to the farmers...

The Chearavanont lads have done well for themselves !

9 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am not thinking about Monsanto. 

Have you never heard of CP and how their fortune started ?

"The family behind Charoen Pokphand Group, one of the world's largest producers of animal feed and livestock, got a nearly $9 billion boost to its wealth in 2017 partly due to a surge in the value of its holding in Chinese insurer Ping An, whose shares jumped on rising income and bond yields. The business dates back to 1921, when brothers Chia ek Chor and Choncharoen Chiaravanont opened a shop selling seeds imported from China to Thai farmers. Today the group is led by Chia Ek Chor's son Dhanin, who is senior chairman and shares the fortune with his 3 brothers and other relatives. After 48 years as chairman and CEO, in January 2017, Dhanin Chearavanont crowned his eldest son, Soopakij, 53, and the youngest, Suphachai, 50, as CP's chairman and CEO, respectively."

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Have you never heard of CP and how their fortune started ?

"The family behind Charoen Pokphand Group, one of the world's largest producers of animal feed and livestock, got a nearly $9 billion boost to its wealth in 2017 partly due to a surge in the value of its holding in Chinese insurer Ping An, whose shares jumped on rising income and bond yields. The business dates back to 1921, when brothers Chia ek Chor and Choncharoen Chiaravanont opened a shop selling seeds imported from China to Thai farmers. Today the group is led by Chia Ek Chor's son Dhanin, who is senior chairman and shares the fortune with his 3 brothers and other relatives. After 48 years as chairman and CEO, in January 2017, Dhanin Chearavanont crowned his eldest son, Soopakij, 53, and the youngest, Suphachai, 50, as CP's chairman and CEO, respectively."

Without industrial farming, and without plenty of petroleum, not to mention phosphate fertilizer, there might be no way for us to soon enjoy 10 billion of us here. 

After 50 years of watching our hockey stick transfold, maybe we will soon be pucked... 

GOAL! 

4 minutes ago, TC17 said:

You are welcome ???? 

If you mean that you are a farmer, then thank you. 

Too many of us mistakenly believe that the food we depend on drops like manna from heaven. 

Some might even assume that our rice comes from Suckerberger at Facebook. 

Difficult to expand Facebook's reach if the world were to suddenly go hungry. 

Sucking Suckerberger, we love his megalomania. But, can he sow rice? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Without industrial farming, and without plenty of petroleum, not to mention phosphate fertilizer, there might be no way for us to soon enjoy 10 billion of us here. 

After 50 years of watching our hockey stick transfold, maybe we will soon be pucked... 

GOAL! 

Thailand will be a bit ordinary with 10 billion here... even moreso if that stupid hockey game becomes popular.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If you mean that you are a farmer, then thank you. 

Too many of us mistakenly believe that the food we depend on drops like manna from heaven. 

Some might even assume that our rice comes from Suckerberger at Facebook. 

Difficult to expand Facebook's reach if the world were to suddenly go hungry. 

Sucking Suckerberger, we love his megalomania. But, can he sow rice? 

So you are the only one on here who understands how the world works. Well done, we are lucky to have you with us. 

I suppose you imagine that everyone else resembles a character in a Larson cartoon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, rott said:

So you are the only one on here who understands how the world works. Well done, we are lucky to have you with us. 

I suppose you imagine that everyone else resembles a character in a Larson cartoon. 

Years ago, Larson was more interesting.

These days, Larson is watered down.

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Two years ago, as well as last year, we were parched. 

This year, people tell me that we might have our wettest year, in many years. 

Still, the rain just starts and stops. 

Here, we do not have a truly long soaking rain, for days and days, which is what we need. 

At least, this meagre rain which we are now experiencing might provide welcome respite to farmers who slave away in order to put food on our table. 

Speak for yourself, just had non stop rain for the last 5 weeks.

And I live in a farming province so will pass on your compliments, sure they'll appreciate it.

"Too many of us mistakenly believe that the food we depend on drops like manna from heaven."

If that was the case I wouldn't bother taking my wallet with me to Makro.

"Some might even assume that our rice comes from Suckerberger at Facebook. "

That has to be one of the most stupid comments I've ever read on here and there have been lots over the years.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

A lot of farms are owned by very rich people who aren't too concerned about your table either, but their profit.

Don't confuse Thailand with other country's farmers. It's the co-ops and levels above the Thai farmer who make most of the money off of farming in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Here, we do not have a truly long soaking rain, for days and days, which is what we need. 

Unless you say where is here your attempt at prose is worthless mate. Here in Bangkok we have had rain and flooding the last few days.  You bored by Covid restrictions by any chance?

• Thanks 1