Heartbroken daughter desperate to fly bedridden dad home from Thailand

webfact

10 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Have you checked the price of health insurance for those over 70 especially with pre-existing conditions, which his diabetes would have been.

I have no conditions what ever, turned the magic 70 yrs and insurance rose by 80%

After 5 years on renewal they declined to quote

3 hours ago, dunroaming said:

When I was 17 my mantra was "I hope I die before I get old", along with most others of my generation.  In my thirties I was fretting because I should have been a millionaire by then and pledged I would be before I hit 40!  At fifty I became a husband again and a dad to a beautiful baby boy.  At that point I put the "hope I die before I get old" bit on hold.  In my sixties I started travelling to all the exotic destinations that I had read about but never had the time to visit.

I am now 73 and my bucket list is only half completed.  So while I am still fit enough and with a little help when I need it, I will continue ticking the boxes for as long as I can.  And actually, I am rather glad I didn't die before I got old!

But did you manage the millionaire bit? And if so, what currency?

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This story exposes that dirty underlying truth that many try to ignore.

Getting old in Thailand is a risky business.

Many guys arrive in their late 50's early 60's, still relatively good health, off to enjoy the 'good' life.

What they push to the back of their mind is the fact that like it or not when you get into your 60's and later, stuff happens and you do get sick.

In Western countries, even in the much maligned US system after 65 social medicine kicks in, and you will be taken care of.

The reverse is true in Thailand, where as insurance companies do, the premiums increase with age as the risk of you actually needing it increases to the point that you can't afford it anyway.

The idea of becoming incapacitated or infirm in Thailand always filled me with terror

Add to that the fact that many old codgers come to Thailand and act as if they are in their prime again and invincible, doing high risk activities that they would not do back home. 

Just yesterday I saw an old codger that had had been knocked off his scooter at Dolphin Roundabout in Pattaya. Poor sod. 

If you are older you have to know your limits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, James105 said:

The 74-year-old who grew up in Braintree, Essex, now suffers with chronic renal failure, Parkinson's, CKD and vascular dementia.

6 hours ago, James105 said:

That would be enough for me to hit the off button.    I'm cool with being dead at some point, but I am not cool with the slow, painful, expensive, torturous, dying part.  I remain envious of my former pet dog who was in the fortunate position (as a dog) to be put painlessly and mercifully out of his misery when it became clear he was in pain, his life was coming to an end and there was nothing that could be done to change that. 

Which, for me is the No 1 argument for NOT having medical insurance. If there is no money and no insurance then the hospital would not plant a 27,000 GBP pacemaker into an old and dying man and he would able to die with a bit of dignity. It's scandalous!

IMO the family are acting in their own self interest and are putting their emotions ahead of common sense. They are giving no thought to what Peter's real needs are. An end to suffering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Add to that the fact that many old codgers come to Thailand and act as if they are in their prime again and invincible, doing high risk activities that they would not do back home. Just yesterday I saw an old codger that had had been knocked off his scooter at Dolphin Roundabout in Pattaya. Poor sod. If you are older you have to know your limits. 

I think you'll find it's the younger folks who think they're invincible... until stupidly reminds them otherwise. I bet there is way more 30-somethings fall of hire bikes, bar stools, choke on their own vomit, and get lost in jungles than the umm... more experienced, mature male. Think on, whippersnapper ????

Edited by Stubby

12 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:
13 hours ago, tonray said:

Very sad but again another case of thinking you can just ignore insurance and jump on a plane to avail yourself of NHS care when you get sick. A lesson for some of us here I hope.

Have you checked the price of health insurance for those over 70 especially with pre-existing conditions, which his diabetes would have been.

I have no conditions what ever, turned the magic 70 yrs and insurance rose by 80%

It's called getting priced out of a life. The NHS pretty much does the same, peddling pills and ad hoc solutions while encouraging the older person to do all sorts of free health checks. Under this guise of appearing to care for you in your dotage, they can find some condition that allows them to write you off earlier as not worth the cost and effort.

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

you should always read insurance policies before buying to check you have the cover you require.

being ignorant of what you were covered for is not the insurance company's problem.

Have you ever read one?  It requires both a doctor to decipher the medical terminology, and an attorney to translate the legalese.  You may think you know what's covered, but you really don't- unless you hire both a doctor and a lawyer to work together to figure it out for you.  Then, you're still at their mercy because there are no negative consequences to deny a claim.  The worst that happens is they relent and pay it out after they bankrupt you in court.  They have lawyers on staff for the purpose.  Do you?

• Sad 1

When will people start getting some common sense and arrange for proper insurance? Everyone can fall ill and become unable to fly with a normal airline. This actually takes far less than a coma. As soon as you can't take care of yourself on a regular flight the airline won't let you board. I've seen this happen from very close to someone.

It's all rosy when life is going fine but if you want to keep a lifeline to your country of origin you better take care of that before the <deleted> hits the fan. Saves you and your close ones a lot of sorrow and despair, and you won't have to depend on people's mercy through some online funding program.

That said, I hope they can get this man back to his family. Medical flights are no joke though and easily cost as much as a proper house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

It was 34,000 baht just for two nights for our son with bronchitis in Udon Thani Bangkok Hospital.  

10,000 baht for the hazmat suits worn by 3 people to bring up to the room just in case he had COVID-19.

Thailand isn't cheap.

Scared to get sick let alone COVID-19 and God knows how much they'll charge a falang on a respirator!

Trying to get the whole family vaccinated, minus Sinovac.

I knew it was expensive, I didn't know it was that expensive. 

Glad my little one is well insured. Heavens forbid! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ignis said:

Health insurance companies want your money, hate to pay any claim

Had Health insurance many years ago, had to go to Hospital large kidney stone, Insurance refused to pay - reason anything to do with kidney's is related to being Diabetic, so had to pay myself.

So the insurer was justified in your case, nothing to do with their "hating to pay any claim", which is nonsense.

4 minutes ago, djayz said:

Thais are completely insane when it comes to covid. The protective stuff they wear in hospitals here is a joke. No western hospital does that. Not even for vaccination. Covid is no joke but here they treat it as if it's ebola. Just a proper medical mask and gloves is actually more than enough. It's a respiratory disease. You simply won't get sick from a few particles on your skin or face.

Same when you're tested positive for covid. Then it's not possible to quarantine at home. No you need to go to hospital, and all the costs are for you just because they decided it's policy. It's insane. No way I'd ever have myself tested here.

The same country lets people wait THREE months to get their second dose of the vaccine. That means a very long time without any protection from the immune system. One dose simply doesn't do it anymore with the delta variant. But no way in hell do they revise their policies here. It's all so backward here. We already knew that but this year has been a firm reality check, at least for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Have you ever read one?  It requires both a doctor to decipher the medical terminology, and an attorney to translate the legalese.  You may think you know what's covered, but you really don't- unless you hire both a doctor and a lawyer to work together to figure it out for you.  Then, you're still at their mercy because there are no negative consequences to deny a claim.  The worst that happens is they relent and pay it out after they bankrupt you in court.  They have lawyers on staff for the purpose.  Do you?

Insurance companies do not have lawyers on staff for the purpose of denying legitimate claims.  Insurers do not bankrupt policy holders making legitimate claims as most countries have an Insurance Ombudsman whose job it is to sort out the complaint against the insurer.

44 minutes ago, djayz said:

Very nice hospital.

We initially brought him to a government hospital.  They didn't have any private rooms available and there was no doctor until the next day

Its hard seeing your little one crying and coughing so hard.

Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Why would that finish him off ? I remember not so long ago some limey guy on here was brawling about the UK health care being the best in the world.

Then the limey guy must have either been an idiot or a long time abroad. You can't  even get a face to face with a primary care doctor (GP)  since covid started and hospital waiting lists are running up to a year or more.

2 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

When will people start getting some common sense and arrange for proper insurance? 

How many times do people have to say it? Once you reach that age health insurance is either impossible to get or incredibly  expensive. Common sense doesn't come into it. It's really a choice of setting aside emergency funds or staying home; and forget about an O-A or O-X visa with their mandatory insurance requirements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert Zweistein said:

Why would that finish him off ? I remember not so long ago some limey guy on here was brawling about the UK health care being the best in the world.

That depends. We do have some incredible and hard working people in the UK NHS, but the system is rife with bad decisions and (often fatal) errors. I have personally lost two people close to me who could have survived if mistakes weren't made in NHS hospitals. 

Throughout the pandemic it has been noticeable that once in hospital you were more likely to survive in other European hospitals than in UK hospitals. This is the closest I could find to evidence this after a quick search. The UK vying for 12th place with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

• Confused 1

This is a terribly sad story. What makes it even worse is that this man's family seem to have exhausted all their life savings and probably gone into serious debt to keep him going and get him home. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to ruin their lives. Surely at this stage it would be cheaper for the daughter to move to Thailand and get a carer in to help her look after him for however long he has left. 

Out of interest, what would happen to him if the hospital don't get paid any more money now? I assume they can't literally carry him out and leave him on the street. 

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Then the limey guy must have either been an idiot or a long time abroad. You can't  even get a face to face with a primary care doctor (GP)  since covid started and hospital waiting lists are running up to a year or more.

For elective surgery in the UK, yes but emergency surgery is still in place and busy.

3 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

'Limey guy', how old are you? Bout 100yrs old?

????????????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

How many times do people have to say it? Once you reach that age health insurance is either impossible to get or incredibly  expensive. Common sense doesn't come into it. It's really a choice of setting aside emergency funds or staying home; and forget about an O-A or O-X visa with their mandatory insurance requirements.

It depends where you're from I guess. For me it's perfectly possible to be insured for a reasonable amount no matter how old I get. I know 'old' people who sorted all this out just fine. But I don't care if it's possible or not. If you somehow cannot or choose not to arrange certain insurance and at the same time choose to live your remaining years in a faraway land then you also accept the possible consequences. Or, and I suspect that to be the case much more often, people don't think these things through at all and only realize their mistake when it's too late. People are often under-insured and completely unaware and that's true for tourists, expats and retirees.

I get that someone tries to get a relative back when things go wrong but you can't expect the impossible. Someone chooses to live their golden years in another country and that usually means things will come to an end there as well. Relatives of mine live in a faraway land too. They made the very conscious choice to live and someday die there. Their relatives know and won't move heaven and earth when it comes to it. That includes me.

Again I completely understand the emotions people must be going through. It's just that expectations of the patient were possibly a bit different from those of his relatives.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

When will people start getting some common sense and arrange for proper insurance?

Sadly......

When Immigration makes it a condition of extending any visa period.

That is the truth & they (Thailand Government) also know that. Now that they have seen the Covid sweep

does anyone think mandatory insurance isn't coming?

Edited by meechai