Total of 26,400 vaccinated tourists reported visiting Phuket Sandbox project since it first launched in July, TAT reveals

webfact

tpn.jpg

By Nop Meechukhun

Phuket – A total of 26,400 fully vaccinated tourists from 62 vaccinated countries have been visiting Phuket in the past two months since the launch of the “Phuket Sandbox” in July, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn revealed Wednesday, September 1st.

According to the TAT record, Phuket has welcomed 26,400 vaccinated tourists from July 1st to August 31st. Of that, 83 (as of September 1st) were found positive with Covid-19 and 26,317 people were not. ( 0.32 percent)

Vaccinated tourists from the United States were ranked the number one visitors to the island from foreign countries at 3,438 people, followed by the United Kingdom with 3,389, Israel with 2,729, Germany with 2,072, France with 2,050, the United Arab Emirates with 838, Switzerland with 559, the Netherlands with 536, Australia with 452, and China with 417. An additional 3,335 visitors were Thais.

Phuket Sandbox Hotels Packages - Book Now!

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/03/total-of-26400-vaccinated-tourists-reported-visiting-phuket-sandbox-project-since-it-first-launched-in-july-tat-reveals/

PattayaNews.jpg

and how many of the 83 caught the virus from a local in Phuket and whos fault was that ? - very obviously the local authorities for not ensuring the virus was erradicated from Phuket, more importantly was how those foreigners were then forced to pay up while having to being quarantined through no fault of there own

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Rather it underlines the fact that if Thailand is serious about ramping up the number of fully vaxxed and tested visitors it needs to abolish any notion of quarantine.  

Or get on and vaccinate it's own population and abolish the need for sandbox schemes?

• Like 1

What are the estimates on the split between real tourists, and those wanting to return without ASQ?

Seen some estimates that coalesce around 50% are tourists.

Saw this just now in a nearby thread... 2% went missing?

58% went back to their country of origin after Phuket.

40% went elsewhere in Thailand.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What a number! That really meets up to all the speculated assumptions 1-2 months ago.

Wonder how we are going to spin the next fairy tale?

Yes, I wonder how many BILLIONS bahts they brought to the island.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the TAT record, Phuket has welcomed 26,400 vaccinated tourists from July 1st to August 31st. Of that, 83 (as of September 1st) were found positive with Covid-19 and 26,317 people were not. ( 0.32 percent)

And, also according to TAT, approximately half of them were not tourists, but returnees or relatives of Thais who, after Phuket, continued on their way to their final destination.

9 hours ago, sungod said:

Does it really matter? 26,000 people spent money in Phuket.

Yes, I think it does matter.  I, too, would really be curious to know what pourcentage are real tourists vs. Thailand residents.  You're right that they all spend money, but those who are residents would have probably spent the money anyway in a Bangkok ASQ, so this whole operation is just moving money from Bangkok hotels to Phuket.  No extra revenue for Thailand.  Granted, as a Thailand resident, I'd far prefer to do 2 weeks in Phuket rather than in an ASQ, but if Thailand isn't making extra money, I wonder how long they can keep up the Sandbox.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carlf said:

Yes, I think it does matter.  I, too, would really be curious to know what pourcentage are real tourists vs. Thailand residents.  You're right that they all spend money, but those who are residents would have probably spent the money anyway in a Bangkok ASQ, so this whole operation is just moving money from Bangkok hotels to Phuket.  No extra revenue for Thailand.  Granted, as a Thailand resident, I'd far prefer to do 2 weeks in Phuket rather than in an ASQ, but if Thailand isn't making extra money, I wonder how long they can keep up the Sandbox.

People walking around sand boxes are spending money in local businesses, my friend ate in the same family run Thai restaurant almost every day for 2 weeks, they were extremely grateful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sungod said:

nor Pattaya, Hua Hin, Krabi, Chaing Mai....................................Whats your point?

My point is that a shift of returnees to Phuket sandbox rather than Bangkok ASQ will have moved the spending from one place to another. Great for Phuket hotels and local businesses, not so good for Bangkok AQ hotels and their staff and suppliers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sungod said:

my friend ate in the same family run Thai restaurant almost every day for 2 weeks,

It has to be good.

Do you know name of restaurant?

I'm going to Phuket sandbox next week.

Edited by Espanol