SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?  

407 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

A simple one would be if you've been married to a Thai for 5 years you can have permanent residence ! 

Wouldn't work here because of the all pervasive sex-industry and the fact so many foreign men could then marry poor and desperate Thai women for money just to stay permanently.

Hence the rules are a bit different for women marrying Thai men. 

As such the rules are fine the way they are imo.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Blumpie said:

I want to live in a place where I don't have to do this nonsense.  I am not a criminal.  

Maybe needed to protect us, and Thailand, from those that are. The world is not an open place without borders. I just think requirements here aren't so bad... I prefer they don't make them any stricter of course. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

I own nothing in Thailand, nothing to lose except perhaps the love of a good woman 

Poor quality cliche ridden troll, must try harder ????

Sorry i upset you  by replying to your comment.

It's called a discussion.

No need to be defensive and offensive.

Get back to cleaning out the buffalo shed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Whale said:

I agree, it would become a business like visa agents. It would be especially exploited by those who already cause problems to the country such as the criminal gangs, the online exploiters, et al. 

Indeed. Thais know this all too well.

They also know what is best for their own country. 

Thais must look at the disaster zones Western countries have become due to mass immigration and it probably hardens their resolve even more not to allow anything similar to happen here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Any other requirements?

Not really, just show you have enough money in the bank to live, or pension which works out around $2k a month. If I as a Thai want to retire to the US, I need to actually invest 16 million baht!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I have been here for over 20 years and I think it is a great place to retire. But like anywhere somethings you wish were better. It's not perfect here but where is? I think one of the best things Thailand has to offer is it's people. friendly, honest and most wish they could speak English or us speaking Thai. Maybe if we all made more Thai friends we would all be happier.

Most can peak the Thai language pretty fluently in 1 year if they make an effort. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

Not really, just show you have enough money in the bank to live, or pension which works out around $2k a month. If I as a Thai want to retire to the US, I need to actually invest 16 million baht!! 

At one level that is fair comment - for the last several years all I have had to do is show that money and the issuing of the extension is a formality. However, I had no problem keeping the money 800k->Min 400k in the bank all year 'round.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kokesaat said:

My wife and I moved here when we were 46, now we're 71.  Thailand's always been a good place to retire.....if you're financially secure, and better yet, if you have some sort of medical coverage (like Tricare). 

Hey, this is an excellent point, and I'm sure it's been discussed here but having difficulty to find anything.  (sorry for the slight divergence from topic)  I'm American, about to go on Medicare, and I don't have Tricare.   I'm guessing if I want to stay in my Bkk condo for any length of time, I need to do some sort of Medicare supplement policy.   Anyone know what Medicare supplement plans cover Thailand retirement?    (I'm going to be selecting a plan through my previous employer's administrator Mercer)   And would that supplemental plan meet the Thai requirement for health insurance?

Edited by madisongy
addition
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, madisongy said:

Hey, this is an excellent point, and I'm sure it's been discussed here but having difficulty to find anything.  (sorry for the slight divergence from topic)  I'm American, about to go on Medicare, and I don't have Tricare.   I'm guessing if I want to stay in my Bkk condo for any length of time, I need to do some sort of Medicare supplement policy.   Anyone know what Medicare supplement plans cover Thailand retirement?    (I'm going to be selecting a plan through my previous employer's administrator Mercer)

Medicare offers no coverage to Americans living abroad. A reason to pay extra for Part B is to avoid harsh penalties if you repatriate.

• Like 1