Fatal accident in Bangkok on Saturday triggers police review of use of containers to block protesters

webfact

Piya-Tavichai-container.jpg

Bangkok police will reconsider the use of shipping containers to block anti-government protesters after a fatal road accident last night (Saturday). A motorcyclist was killed when he rammed his vehicle into one of the containers on Samsen Road, in the Dusit district of Bangkok.

Pol Maj-Gen Piya Tavichai, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, told the media today (Sunday) that police are still waiting for an autopsy report adding, however, that the use of containers to block roads will have to be reviewed following the accident.

According to rescue workers, the motorcyclist, identified as Noppawait na Ratchasima, 50, was still conscious and could respond to questions when they arrived at the scene. They said the victim eventually died from the wounds he sustained in the accident.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/fatal-accident-in-bangkok-on-saturday-triggers-police-review-of-use-of-containers-to-block-protesters/

Logo-top-.png
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Nuff said !

.who claimed they had drinks together before they headed for home on two motorbikes,

If you read the link, his mate who was on the other motorcycle said they had been drinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

So, Is this the way the Generals order to stop peaceful  protests? ????. Nice place to visit Bangkok for turists…
I’ll not see any democratic progress for a very long time.

A83A9D3C-B478-4916-B4B5-A1E3780693FE.jpeg

Would you prefer shooting the protestors?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I am wondering in which country do they use containers to block protesters ? ?? I think it is only THailand and the question remains what is so important behind the walls of containers?? They can't control with just watercanons, tear gaz and charges such as they do in "normal" countries?? I n Thailand it looks like a war zone 

Pakistan did.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

No reflecting surface and no warning lamps. The local govt authority where I live have now got public green coloured mini skips, there is one in particular that is left on the M/C lane, no reflectors or lighting, I'm guessing when someone dies there, they will put a cone out, as with the power pole left in place when the road was widened, not until someone smashed into it, THEN they put some red fabric around it and a token cone, months later the pole was moved. TIT wait till someone dies then and only then address the problem.

Yes and they only address the problem. Translated into Thai, that has nothing to do with solving it. ????

22 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

'He also repeated his warning to parents of underage protesters that they can be held accountable for offences committed by their children.'

Threats and violence seem to be the only weapons available to the police/government

Law is threat to any violators of law, that's what makes the difference between an organized society and anarki.

If people protests without violence there would be no problems.

From the article...
The protest at Din Daeng intersection, however, by the so-called “Talugas” group, which is comprised of mostly of teenagers, was violent with some of the protesters going on a rampage, smashing traffic lights, damaging surveillance cameras and setting fire to the fence at the Army Brass Band Department on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway.

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

If the police acted without violence, there would be no problems!

You are starting a discussion about what came first, the egg or the hen.

I my modest view, a peaceful protest will not result in violence, so "what came first", the violent demonstrants or violent police?

8 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Even drunk, how do you not see a shipping container?  Those things are ***ing HUGE!

Yes, hard to believe. But could’ve been a case of "inattentional blindness", a phenomenon first coined by psychologists. That motorcyclist might’ve ridden down that road hundreds of times before and never encountered shipping containers partially blocking it. Much like the original invisible gorilla experiment in which the participants didn’t expect to see a gorilla showing up in the middle of the basketball game and missed seeing it, he wouldn’t have expected shipping containers in the road and failed to see it in time. By my own experience, while riding a motorbike on a dark inner London, UK street I'd ridden hundreds of time before, I crashed into an unilluminated, unmarked wooden railroad sleeper... It shouldn't have been there. It was at night, I was riding out of a turn, sober but tired, and I was an experienced motorcycle courier.

Contributory factors would've been his reduced alertness from the alcohol, the containers actually being moved at the time, night time, rain/water reflection? and so the high likelihood of few or no lights on the containers or warning signs, and you had a dangerous cocktail for this motorcycle accident.

problem in Thailand is that they do not put out any warning lights before any sort of road block etc,  I know we have nearly had head ons when all of a sudden there is a totally unlit road block in a very dark section of road with an open speed limit. One of the reasons though is that people steal the lights or the fact that it costs money to keep them on, a lot of safety gear in Thailand depends on the costs involved, a few deaths is nothing  to those that pocket the profits

Many obstacles in the Din Daeng area nightly bonfires in the middle of the road clouds of gas and smoke all manner of missiles rubber bullets' ping pong bombs fired into live traffic lanes to name but a few good luck if you need to transit that area ????