Is the mandatory possession of a suitable smartphone really a prerequisite to entering Thailand these days?

5 hours ago, Farma said:

They didn't check when I arrived earlier this year although a smart phone is needed in ASQ as mine used Line to communicate, place menu requests and for me to send twice daily photos of my thermometer readings.

Yeah. The reality of how things are these days should calmly be accepted. 

It appears to be that existences are reflected through our mobile devices. 

Kinda sad, it one ponders too much.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

what would happen if you were to show up at, say, Suvarnabhumi after a long flight clutching an otherwise acceptable COE but with no smartphone with the ThailandPlus app downloaded on to it?

Why would anyone in their right mind who wanted to enter the country take that risk by not having a suitable phone (that most people have anyway or can get for next to nothing) if it's a known requirement?    There may be a case for visitors with that deliberately confrontational attitude to be put straight back on the plane.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Denim said:

After reading that anyone would be forgiven for forsaking a leg over for the simpler to access Bognor Regis.

If they think the tourist industry is going to bounce back enforcing such stuff they are mistaken. This addiction to apps and smartphones is just going to put a lot of people off in favor of other destinations.

The "bounce back" will be strangled at birth by this bunch of strutting preening uniformed buffoons.

5 hours ago, Denim said:
5 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone in this day and age would travel anywhere without a smartphone.

Plenty of old people are not tech minded and find no need for one.

Anyone coming to Thailand does have a need for one according to the Thai embassy, it's a requirement to enter the country...apparently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

suspect it might be a particular UK policy.

45 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Maybe it is just a UK Embassy thing.

It's not just a "UK" thing, it's universal and something everyone that has/will enter Thailand under the current situation has agreed to comply with when applying for a COE:

559183899_(9).png.cb5b0c9ba2e4d91a7cae83ed110ef6db.png

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

True, I was smartphone hesitant until I was given one.

But I never use it for email or posting on websites 'cos I find the keys too small, so I will always have a laptop for that (although some tablets have finger friendly virtual keyboards).

I'm starting to have some problems with the small keyboard also.  I need my laptop for longer emails.

Great cameras these days on these smart phones!  

Enjoy your weekend!

9 hours ago, Salerno said:

It's not just a "UK" thing, it's universal and something everyone that has/will enter Thailand under the current situation has agreed to comply with when applying for a COE:

559183899_(9).png.cb5b0c9ba2e4d91a7cae83ed110ef6db.png

.It says nothing about requiring one bring specifically a Smart phone with them on entry. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HeijoshinCool said:

That from an Embassy? Which one?

It's from the COE website (the declaration everyone makes on application), hence it's a universal "requirement" (which is irrelevant to enforcement as always).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

It's from the COE website (the declaration everyone makes on application), hence it's a universal "requirement" (which is irrelevant to enforcement as always).

Yes, required and mandated policy - yet, not practiced or enforced universally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:
5 hours ago, david555 said:

I have both .....the dumb one used as a "excuse phone" on occasion ....when finding it conviniant ????

I only have a nokia but at least I can spell convenient .

Even though you can spell "convenient", you're going to have to practice getting the make of your phone correct, as a proper noun it's "Nokia", not "nokia"!

2 hours ago, sezze said:

what do you do with your smartphone without connection ? Meaning , arriving at airport , foreign card in it , costs are very very high ( 100s of baht/MB ) so if you come off the airplane and you startup your phone it checks everything and bang , you are down several 1000s of baht on your foreign phonecard . Not very attractive ...

You've just spent a substantial amount of money to fly thousands of miles to Thailand and you're complaining about a tiny phone charge (not "several thousands of baht"!) to get into the country?   Geez...not very attractive.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What else would you download an app to?

Well, they had discussed tracking bracelets, bearing in mind they don't know their left hand from their right....

Nor does it specify the program must be installed prior to arrival.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

Apps are Dominant and will replace Internet soon.

Carry an IPhone7 (cheap high std smartphone) & IPAD 3. Both Apple IOS of course.

Interchangeable with Same Apps & Same ICloud Personal Data.

Smartphones MUST be small to fit comfortably in shirt pocket or front jeans pocket.

Just will not primarily use those tiny hackable smartphones for banking, movies, books, internet or MS Office work. I will also NOT carry the Android Brick Smartphones ! 

Use IPAD for those activities. IPhone & IPAD are Back Ups for each other; same IOS operation/ data.

Funny that I have NEVER seen anyone else using an IPAD in Public ! In five years of IPAD Use ! 

Only Smartphones and/or Laptops……..

Use Laptop or PC Only in actual offices…….

DO people really do Excel Spreadsheets on Smartphones ? Seriously ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sezze said:

But on the point , what do you do with your smartphone without connection ? Meaning , arriving at airport , foreign card in it , costs are very very high ( 100s of baht/MB ) so if you come off the airplane and you startup your phone it checks everything and bang , you are down several 1000s of baht on your foreign phonecard . Not very attractive

It is worthwhile trying to learn how to use Wi-Fi with your phone. Almost all airports, and this includes Suvarnabhumi, have free Wi-Fi service. For the most part, unless very sure I need it, I just keep mobile data turned off. As you have discovered, not doing so can result in a nasty shock.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bbko said:

Are these just hypothetical questions or does anyone here really still have just a basic mobile phone?

Have an old smartphone that will probable not run their app, I do have a tablet that would likely run the app I suppose.

8 hours ago, Sudarut said:

I entered Thailand in January, I didn't need the smart phone to get through the airport, but i needed it for a health app which a hospital monitors, you have to take and enter your body temp twice daily and submit any flu like symptoms into the app.

Exactly. My ASQ required us to download the Line app when we checked-in. They used this to take daily meal orders, and twice daily temp readings (10 AM & 2 PM). And if you wanted to contact them for any reason, laundry service, extra water or food (the meal portions were tiny). A tablet or laptop would work equally well, for those who don't have a smart phone. Provided you had Line (or whatever app they require) installed.