VIDEO: Jomtien Beach Road collapses due to heavy storms

webfact

Going to immigration from Sattahip this morning, driving along 2nd road Jomtien but the road ahead was flooded so drove down to beach road and hit this. Ended up with a long walk to immigration, who fortunately were both pleasant and efficient. Did put the curse on it as I said to the wife we will be OK in Jomtiem it's Pattaya that floods. The water flowing into the sea was absolutely filthy did nothing to enhance the beach either leaving litter and filth everywhere, still some people were going into the sea, hope their Cholera jabs are up to date.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Rinse and repeat...

Something I have never understood in Thailand is the absence of or minimal storm water reticulation in a country that annually experiences monsoon downpours. Major highways are so often made  flat and level with no designed channels to take water away and the grass verges allowed build up above the  road surface which results in the road itself becoming a canal until some point where the water finds an exit. Extreme hazard at night.

Most of the questions similar to this is answered by the well worn cliche " They’re not the sharpest tools  in the shed"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Star said:

When I lived near there, I watched them work for many months building this elaborate and expensive storm runoff T-junction. There was a large underground concrete drain enclosure bunker taking all the water from beach road and from the street adjoining it at this T intersection.

The overflowing manhole cover in the middle of the intersection indicates a blockage to the enclosure from the intersecting street storm drain.  The pressure must have worked around the underground side of the costly structure, washing it away.

So glad I don't have to put up with months of construction again and traffic jams, but feel sorry for those that will be impacted by this result of poor engineering and construction.

“poor engineering and construction”? Follow the money…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nojohndoe said:

Rinse and repeat...

Something I have never understood in Thailand is the absence of or minimal storm water reticulation in a country that annually experiences monsoon downpours. Major highways are so often made  flat and level with no designed channels to take water away and the grass verges allowed build up above the  road surface which results in the road itself becoming a canal until some point where the water finds an exit. Extreme hazard at night.

and then has water shortages a few months later

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LittleBear57 said:

Going to immigration from Sattahip this morning, driving along 2nd road Jomtien but the road ahead was flooded so drove down to beach road and hit this. Ended up with a long walk to immigration, who fortunately were both pleasant and efficient. Did put the curse on it as I said to the wife we will be OK in Jomtiem it's Pattaya that floods. The water flowing into the sea was absolutely filthy did nothing to enhance the beach either leaving litter and filth everywhere, still some people were going into the sea, hope their Cholera jabs are up to date.

Yes, the bad smell and black water comes from all the overflowing septic tanks that get washed clean with reverse flowing pressurized stormwater in the drains during a heavy storm.

One benefit of living in Jomtien was that I never had to pump out a septic tank at my house as the rains and floods flushed out all the waste from it automatically. All kinds of pathogens in that wicked brew.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Water has a habit of running downhill to the lowest point... that's where a bl**dy great drain should be located to take it away somewhere it can't do any harm.

And on the way lots of larger drains so flooding can't take place.

That is the problem where do you drain the water too?  you are right is there a nearby dam/reservoir NO!  Anyone that is curious when they put in the sidewalk could see you don't just pack sand and then lay bricks on top when it rains the water falls through the cracks between each brick creating a million little tunnel sooner or later the castle falls picture show just that.

After the last rain on beach road I noted for someone to tell the Jomtien folks to stop what they are doing near the far end!  Also all the water from Sukhumvit ( your high points ) runs down toward the beach at a number of points particular the two main roads leading down to the beach are drain pipes when it gets to the beach it drains into a large black tube under the sand into the sea when it rains and high tide no where for the water to drain after it goes into the man holes drains on the beach thus it back flows out and on to the road.

If one go off the sidewalk and step down on to the beach you will noticed on the other side of the cement wall hundreds of small little PVC blue pipes from under the sidewalk drains dumping water into the sand which undermines the cement structure walkway.

I've watch this technology throughout Pattaya for over ten years you should see what they do on the Darkside?????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

On the bright side, they now have a waterfall tourist attraction. I'm just heading down there now to pick up some bananas on Soi that goes away from the beach....

Huury along before they put prices up for farangs......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Black Angus said:

Now then Folks. Can't you see it's the fault of the Traffic Lights for letting it through.  ???? ????

I suspect it has more to do with money going into brown envelopes and not enough money going into building out a quality product. 

5 hours ago, Gold Star said:

When I lived near there, I watched them work for many months building this elaborate and expensive storm runoff T-junction. There was a large underground concrete drain enclosure bunker taking all the water from beach road and from the street adjoining it at this T intersection.

The overflowing manhole cover in the middle of the intersection indicates a blockage to the enclosure from the intersecting street storm drain.  The pressure must have worked around the underground side of the costly structure, washing it away.

So glad I don't have to put up with months of construction again and traffic jams, but feel sorry for those that will be impacted by this result of poor engineering and construction.

yes, it wasn't so long ago that this "T" junction had a huge construction job done with piling to hold back the road while major works/large piping installed .   I can only surmise that the construction and reinforcement was sub standard with insufficient reinforced concrete and piling to stop it shifting !!!   Bet the contractor is long gone and no guarantee ?  never mind , still many contented overseers with many brown envelopes