Visa renewals not accepting 'Wise' transfers on bank statements unless it says 'international transfer'

Visa renewals not accepting 'Wise' transfers on bank statements unless it says 'international transfer' 

They really are getting to be a Pain. a transfer is a transfer no matter from where.

They change whatever they want .when they get a New Chief in the Imm office they want this that and some more .One doesn't know from one extension to the next What they change and what they want extra .

I'm going through this now with Phuket immigration. I have a year's worth of Wise transfers (selected the correct option in the app), all marked as 'Foreign T/T' in my bank statement. The officer refused to accept it, told me I needed a credit advice slip for each transfer, or a summary of foreign transfers, from Bangkok Bank. The guy in line before me also had the same issue. It has taken another week to obtain this from the bank and my visa expired today, yay...

Wise don't transfer money overseas, you transfer from your UK bank account to the Wise UK bank account and then Wise transfer from their Thai account to your Thai account.

It beats me that you show a receipt that can only be printed out from Wise, which clearly shows a GBP to Baht transaction and they put their heads in the sand and say it doesn't count for anything, shoddy at the very least.

13 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Had an issue with my renewal this year. 3 incoming transfers went via Bangkok bank not direct to my Kasikorn account. After the issue came up at renewal, as I was unaware of it, and it turned out to be when I sent over 100,000 baht in those months!!

I took it up with twise in a chat or message session and they assured me in the future it will only come direct to my Kasikorn account and it has.

I also get a signed letter from one of Kasikorns international branches, confirming each monthly income was received from my UK bank and the amount!!

I also have my account with Kasicarn. I just did my first one year extension based on mariage  a couple of weeks ago and I am supposed to go in to the immigration and get my visa extension stamp Oct 11th. I did it by maintaining 400K balance at the bank. Since I transfer more than the required amount every month, Next year I would rather go the income route.  400k in a low risk investment  vehicle will provide me with a nice return , at least keep pace with inflation. 

I Use Wise for my transfers. 

So that I don't have any surprises when the time come for my next extension, how do I make sure that the funds show as international transfers every time. Do I need to call WISE every transfer? 

or, If I chose the "For longs stay" option on their drop down description box would that tell Wise that they should send the funds directly to Kasicorn and not to an intermediary , such as Bangkok bank as you described in your case, and have it marked as FTT.? 

Edited by sirineou
typo

12 hours ago, digger70 said:

They really are getting to be a Pain. a transfer is a transfer no matter from where.

Maybe stop and think why they have the requirements. If the 65k can come from a Thai account, you could just send the "same" 65k in and out of your account once a month, 3-4 guys could send the the same 65k in and out of each others accounts, and meet the requirements.

In the good old days, 3-4 guys used to share the same 800k, in their account for 90 days and get visa, send to another guy for 90 days and he gets a visa.

Any of the requirements are in place because somebody abused the system 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nickmondo said:

change from Bkk bank to Krungsri

Not sure that this would be helpful to the OP in his predicament. Krungsri are not a Wise partner bank, the 3 banks who are being Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and TMB (whatever they may be known as these days). As a result, Wise would make a transfer initiated by a Krungsri account holder to one of these partner banks, who would then pass it on to Krungsri who would record it as an inter-bank transfer with no clue as to its foreign origin.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Not quite related but, on sending money from an OZ bank not using Wise, to BKKB, I got a lower ex-rate than their site, (twice) it transpired it had been sent to a thai holding bank where it was exchanged at their rate, then moved to BKKB. After calls and e-mails to the OZ bank they told me to put in the ''message to bank'' space DO NOT CONVERT FUNDS since then no problems. just saying.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I also have my account with Kasicarn. I just did my first one year extension based on mariage  a couple of weeks ago and I am supposed to go in to the immigration and get my visa extension stamp Oct 11th. I did it by maintaining 400K balance at the bank. Since I transfer more than the required amount every month, Next year I would rather go the income route.  400k in a low risk investment  vehicle will provide me with a nice return , at least keep pace with inflation. 

So that I don't have any surprises when the time come for my next extension, how do I make sure that the funds show as international transfers every time. Do I need to call WISE every transfer? 

or, If I chose the "For longs stay" option on their drop down description box would that tell Wise that they should send the funds directly to Kasicorn and not to an intermediary , such as Bangkok bank as you described in your case, and have it marked as FTT.? 

The fundamental problem with which you will always, I understand, be faced with Kasikorn is that, even though they are a Wise partner bank, they don't, I believe, identify transfers originating from abroad through specific codings. Indeed my understanding is that the FTT/International Transfer codings used by Bangkok Bank are unique among the Thai banking fraternity in this regard. So it would appear that the only solution in your case would be to open a Bangkok Bank account.

That said, there have been reports on here on individual immigration offices being prepared to accept the Transfer Confirmation pdf's issued by Wise as sufficient proof of the foreign origin of particular transfers which have not been suitably coded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, Raindancer said:

You could always print out your wise transfers statement.  That would then correspond with your overseas bank statements and your Thai bank account statement.

Hope that helps. 

None of my deposits show up a international transfers because I do not bank with one of Wise's partner banks but it's never been a problem for me. 

I download the transfer slips from Wise, merge them with the entries on my bank statements (also downloaded) and I'm good to go.

I have heard that some IOs won't accept this method, then life gets complicated. But if the bank entries don't show up as international, what choice does the client have?

• Like 1

Just for the record, (I don't need this monthly transfer option), I use the 800k in the bank, but if I did I would have to change my bank from Krung Thai as no Wise transfer using the 'long stay' option has ever appeared in my bank book as a foreign transfer, it simply states 'transfer'.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, andy85 said:

I'm going through this now with Phuket immigration. I have a year's worth of Wise transfers (selected the correct option in the app), all marked as 'Foreign T/T' in my bank statement. The officer refused to accept it, told me I needed a credit advice slip for each transfer, or a summary of foreign transfers, from Bangkok Bank. The guy in line before me also had the same issue. It has taken another week to obtain this from the bank and my visa expired today, yay...

While you can apply for your extension of stay up till the date the current one expires it's not recommended.  You can apply 45 days before your extension of stay expires in Phuket.  Doing it early gives you a great deal of time to rectify unforeseen problems.

My understanding is that Phuket Immigration has required for some time now a yearly summary of transfers for those using the monthly deposit method.  It's also my understanding that Bangkok bank takes up to a week to produce such a summary because no more than 6 months of customer data is retained at a Bangkok Bank branch (the request has to be serviced by the main Bangkok Bank office in Bangkok).

It's an unfortunate situation.  Clearly you have complied with the functional requirement of transferring the required amount on a monthly basis, but without the evidence required by Phuket Immigration to demonstrate this to their satisfaction.  What did Phuket Immigration suggest you do?

On 9/23/2021 at 12:13 PM, matlock said:

they were not considered valid as proof of my monthly transfer when I wanted to renew my retirement visa.

Can you share any details? Immigration office? Was your extension application denied?

I've seen reports here that additional paperwork, from the originating bank, receiving Thai bank and the destination Thai bank, can be used to verify that a transfer is indeed international, even if not designated FTT in the passbook.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have heard that some IOs won't accept this method, then life gets complicated. But if the bank entries don't show up as international, what choice does the client have?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Open a Bangkok Bank account or transfer using normal foreign bank transfer

Yes these are plausible solutions of course, but that doesn't help the client when he's sat at the IOs counter with 12 months deposits that the IO won't accept!

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes these are plausible solutions of course, but that doesn't help the client when he's sat at the IOs counter with 12 months deposits that the IO won't accept!

to get over the immediate issue he can attempt to provide alternative back up as you suggested or go see an agent, then plan ahead for next year, do a bit of research

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe stop and think why they have the requirements. If the 65k can come from a Thai account, you could just send the "same" 65k in and out of your account once a month, 3-4 guys could send the the same 65k in and out of each others accounts, and meet the requirements.

In the good old days, 3-4 guys used to share the same 800k, in their account for 90 days and get visa, send to another guy for 90 days and he gets a visa.

That's still the case ,pay an agent to do same .That seems to be Ok with Imm.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

None of my deposits show up a international transfers because I do not bank with one of Wise's partner banks but it's never been a problem for me. 

I download the transfer slips from Wise, merge them with the entries on my bank statements (also downloaded) and I'm good to go.

You will need to get Credit Advices from the Wise partner bank/entity since that partner is the one that knows it was an international transfer since it rec'd the transfer instructions from Wise.  A Credit Advice documents/gives details on the transfer....like where it originated from.  

Like say you transferred money to your SCB acct (or whatever bank), K-bank was used as the partner bank, but you rec'd no international coding on your SCB acct....just got regular/domestic transfer coding.  Now SCB would "not" give you a Credit Advice since they only see a domestic transfer but if you go to K-bank they could give you a Credit Advice proving the transfer was international.

Generally to get a Credit Advice it's free if the transfer is not over 3 months old, possibly a Bt100 charge per transfer if the transfer is  3 to 6 months, and Bt100 per transfer if the transfer is over 6 months old.  It's Bt100 per transfer but with a maximum Bt500 charge like if you were going to get say 8 months worth of Credit Advices the charge should be aroun Bt500 vs Bt800.

Of course getting Credit Advices means time and effort...and possibly going to the Wise Thai partner bank vs your own bank.  And if the transfer is over 3 or 6 months old it may take the bank a few days to generate the Credit Advice; under 3 or 6 months old they usually generate same day/immediately.  Varies among Thai banks as to how quickly they can generate the Credit Advice depending on the age of the transfer....but if not older than 3 months they can generate very quickly....older than 3 months then it may not be same day.   If needing a Credit Advice for a transfer it's best to get it before the transfer has aged 3 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bangkok bank should be able to advise the OP which bank these "transfers" came from,you might try to get a credit advice/receipt from their internation division which would confirm the source of funds were an international transaction. Kbank provide these free of charge and show the transaction as TT(telegraphic transfer)

Oops same as above post

Edited by norbra

16 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

After the UK embassy reneged on income letters I had a similar problem with Wise and rang them to get my account flagged for BB and 2 years and 70 FTTs later have never had a problem. Since then Wise have introduced 'funds for long term stay' as a drop down to stop the problem reoccurring but to make sure I only use my BB acc for immigration.

I did that also years back.   It indeed works.....worked before Wise came up with the Funds for Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer. 

Although I now always choice that reason for a transfer I'm assuming my Wise acct is still tagged to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.

Basically for others listening-in this is where you contact Wise, explain how it's very important your transfers to your Bangkok Bank acct receive international coding and you want your transfers tagged to use Bangkok Bank as "Wise's Thai partner" for your transfers.   This way even if you forget to choose  the reason for transfer as Long Stay Thailand Wise will still use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank.

Now above method only works if you are sending to a Bangkok Bank acct.   Even when Bangkok Bank is the partner back if they are relaying/transferring the funds over to another Thai bank like SCB, K-bank, Krungsri, etc., you will still get domestic coding; not international coding.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

the Thai process are abusive by definition, so no wonder it brought that kind of abuses from the poor immigration victims ????

and what do they care at the end? are they afraid they will be invaded and national security threatened over some poor guys sharing that 800K THB?

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

Might depend on your Bank Account where your funds come from. Mine is UK and Twise have a London sort code so I just do a transfer. Also on the Twise app they show the transaction to/from and you can print off a receipt. Contact Twise and get them to confirm that they must send direct to Kasikorn. Then ask Kasikorn how they will confirm your monthly income to Immigration. I provide them with a draft letter that I want!! 

I also give Irritation, sorry Immigration, 5555 an Excel spread sheet, showing the transactions from start to finish for the year!!????????????????

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 1:47 PM, GrandPapillon said:

Immigration is really being overzealous with those transfers, which just demonstrates how far they will go to 'harass' farangs,

I don't understand how can anyone accept this, even illegal immigrants in western countries have better options with western immigration departments

farangs need to vote with their feet with all that non-sense, otherwise it just smells desperation and they will keep increasing the pressure

IMHO they are trying to drive you towards using a visa agent; you never have this issue when an agent does the submission for you.

Trust me I know i have been down this road before many times. with WISE transfers and BKK bank statements.

Now I pay an agent each year and guess what; Bob's your Uncle!

I think to get the FTT code we shouldn't chose the ACH option, last time I chose ACH the money was transferred from a Krung Sri bank to my SCB account, no international transfer.

• 2 weeks later...