My wife's idea for our kids to avoid National Service / Army - Is it genius or flawed? :-)

mattk1

1 minute ago, mikebike said:

Not sure why your wife was miffed... Your kids arrived as British citizens and have been treated as such.

As mentioned above, if your kids are living here permanently as Thai citizens they will need an ID card. Military service lottery will be based on Thai ID card.

Hmm, you really don't understand why the miffed'ness is as a factor? ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pookondee said:

I dont get how the idea of leaving/returning on seperate passports can even work at all.

If entering Thailand from abroad on a different pp,  surely Thai Immigration will be looking for a previous exit stamp?

The exit stamp that would be in your other passport.?

But they would exit on Thai passports.. thus showing them as left the country

Edited by mattk1

3 minutes ago, pookondee said:

So....is it the case that a Thai passport holder does not get exit/entry stamped when entering and exiting?

No stamps to match up?

Sorry I edited my post afterwards - see above.

So when they leave Thailand as Thais and on Thai passports, I'm not sure if they get an exit stamp but even if they did, they would be returning with a British passport as foreigners, so no stamps to match up right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mattk1 said:

Sorry I edited my post afterwards - see above.

So when they leave Thailand as Thais and on Thai passports, I'm not sure if they get an exit stamp but even if they did, they would be returning with a British passport as foreigners, so no stamps to match up right?

ok i guess someone in the know can verify.

I would have thought Immigration systems would have information of other passports linked to the same person but i dont know Jack.

• Like 1

At the risk of providing useless anecdata…

In the EU I have been asked before at national borders whether I have any other passports,  probably because of my weird international accent.

I don’t have, but if I did and lied about it I would be committing a serious crime, and if caught I would expect national entry bans at the very least.

So keep in mind that if you’re betting your kids’ convenience/safety/education or whatever on avoiding obligations via passport tricks, at any time they might have to show their cards, and your troubles might suddenly be much greater than had you just parked them in Britain long enough for the issue to time out,  YMMV of course, just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Were you a conscript or voluntary enlisted person?

As I agree with him, I'll reply, and I was a volunteer. IMO it should be like Singapore ( when I was there, and I don't know if still happens ) and EVERYONE should do national service- no exceptions. Don't serve don't get to vote, IMO. Citizenship needs to be earned, IMO.

PS. IMO alternatives to military service should be allowed, but for the same length of time etc.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's definitely worth looking at the Cadet Service (not sure what it's called in Thai) as that can get them out of doing the conscription lottery.

In Thailand it's called Territorial Defense Student  (นักศึกษาวิชาทหาร) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Defense_Student 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As I agree with him, I'll reply, and I was a volunteer. IMO it should be like Singapore ( when I was there, and I don't know if still happens ) and EVERYONE should do national service- no exceptions. Don't serve don't get to vote, IMO. Citizenship needs to be earned, IMO.

PS. IMO alternatives to military service should be allowed, but for the same length of time etc.

Ok. My question was simply to establish the flavour of opinion , not criticize it.

• Like 1