My wife's idea for our kids to avoid National Service / Army - Is it genius or flawed? :-)

mattk1

6 hours ago, bbko said:

I don't know if this is an official policy, but I've heard someone is luk khrueng, they aren't pulled into military service here.

Luke khrueng are preffered because of their language skills- they are not excluded from military service

• Like 1

This is not a new method just thought up by the O’P’s wife, it’s an old trick that doesn’t work or fool anyone. The call up for conscription is based on being named in the house blue book which the Thai citizen needs to be in order to get an id, passport, etc. if the child is entered in there then he will be called up for selection when he reached 18.  Either stay out of Thailand until the person reaches 30 or join ror dor (army cadets basically) for 3 years while in schoo. These are the only 2 options available to live a “normal” life in Thailand and not have to worry about having problems.you can have their name taken off the blue book but this would then cause problems of all sorts during their whole time here, no ID card, no Thai passport, etc. if you try to be clever and do as your wife suggests, you’ll find your some flying in to the country on their English passports and then immediately the immigration outs in their details, they’ll be whisked off to the army camp for 2 years as they do keep information if this nature on their computer and so manage to link the details to the Thai citizenship. I have personally seen a couple of people thinking that they are outwitting the system bu doing exactly what the OP’s wife suggested and it certainly didn’t work out very well for the sons who ended up doing their full 2 years service, directly from Theo airport to the army barracks. Reason for this is that they get a court order (warrant) placed as active on the police computers if the person names in the blue book doesn’t show up for the draw.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pookondee said:

I dont get how the idea of leaving/returning on seperate passports can even work at all.

If entering Thailand from abroad on a different pp,  surely Thai Immigration will be looking for a previous exit stamp?

The exit stamp that would be in your other passport.?

So no one can enter Thailand for the first time?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pookondee said:

I dont get how the idea of leaving/returning on seperate passports can even work at all.

If entering Thailand from abroad on a different pp,  surely Thai Immigration will be looking for a previous exit stamp?

The exit stamp that would be in your other passport.?

Not if it's the first time they have ever visited Thailand.

Immigration would not be aware that they were here as Thais previously if they rock up with a UK passport.

18 hours ago, mattk1 said:

Hmm, you really don't understand why the miffed'ness is as a factor?

I think you should be miffed at each other for neglecting to renew their Thai passports. Even within the UK its not that hard to do. Especially with you two being there to help.  

Your wife's plan wont work. Its all based on their Thai national ID. Unless you forgo getting these they will be eligible for conscription.

A friend of mine has a step son approaching Thai Lottery draft age. I'm guessing that what applies to his step son could be applied in this scenario too.  While the step son was at high school he joined the school's cadet corp.  Turns out that doing so, and completing the course,  automatically exempted him from the draft.  Perhaps when the OP's kids are old enough, and if attending high school in Thailand, they could do the same thing.  It's worth making enquiries of high schools in the region they would be living in Thailand to ascertain if the school had a cadet corp and if the draft exemption would apply.

• Like 1

I brought my wife and her son to the USA when he was 8 years old. He still a Thai citizen and will also become a USA citizen, He is now serving in the USA Navy. My wife and I had a daughter in USA and we got her Thai birth certificate and a Thai passport and have now moved back to Thailand for 3 years. Our son is planning one day return to Thailand after his career in the USA Navy is done he will be well over 30. I am pretty sure he wont have any issues since he will be over 30 I had read will have to pay a small fine but I think that is it from what I read.

All the above seems to suggest that 2 years conscription means that you go and do things like being in the south getting shot at. 

Conscripted service can be very different BIL who won/lost the conscription lottery spent the majority of his time being trained in farming, I don’t know if he ever fired a weapon outside the firing range. AFIK this did not involve any payment.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mattk1 said:

In short: if my half Thai/British kids leave Thailand on their Thai passports but return on their British passports – would that work for them to dodge Thai army / national service as they would be treated as ‘foreigners’ who need a visa and 90 day reports?

Sure! It´s 1890, computer are not invented and Immigration has no clue how to link passports with different nationalities. Nah! That won´t work.

9 hours ago, bbko said:

I don't know if this is an official policy, but I've heard someone is luk khrueng, they aren't pulled into military service here.

Part of what I have heard about this, though, it is usually a language barrier issue. Not sure.

I have two, one I have begged the local "council" (wink, wink, bribe) to take the sh*t stain of a son. My other one wants to go at eight years of age!

24 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

All the above seems to suggest that 2 years conscription means that you go and do things like being in the south getting shot at. 

Conscripted service can be very different BIL who won/lost the conscription lottery spent the majority of his time being trained in farming, I don’t know if he ever fired a weapon outside the firing range. AFIK this did not involve any payment.

My wifes family is from Isan so strike number one. Dark skinned, strike number 2, poor! 

Two brothers got picked. Both got injured in some border skirmishes.

Keep praying this luck continues to the next generation with my son.

My son did the 2 year cadet course while he was at school and has therefore legally avoided the national service lottery.

BTW I'm still trying to figure out why your wife was so angry with Thai Immigration. It appears from what you say they simply applied the standard procedure.

18 minutes ago, surfinglife said:

Why would you support the idea of avoiding the military service? It makes men out of today's sissy boys.

IN many country todays army is sissy boys playing service. Here in Finland anyway, when i was army i serve 330 days and from those days i live in forest 115 days. My tank is now scrap iron (T-72) russian sht, enemy see smoke from that sht 10 miles away.

(sergeant 2 is 1) 

Edited by 2 is 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I was a volunteer and a veteran of some 25 years in the UK RAF as I see it there is no obligation to their country to do national service. In fact there is no need for a bloated Thai military with minimal overseas commitment and there is no reason for national service.

Thailand has no real enemies in SEA and I doubt that they have the ability to attack any of their neighbours. From what I have read and seen here in Thailand over the past 20 odd years is that the Thai military, if in a real war fighting a real enemy, they would lose.

If you want an example, just look at the southern region where there has been a guerilla war for decades and the army still haven't won yet.

Not so long ago they lost against Laos:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai–Laotian_Border_War

• Like 2