Bureaucracy, Thailand Versus UK

1 hour ago, Brewster67 said:

Yeah mate, because we all know how super-streamlined Thai processes are and how this place is the great bastion of efficiency.

This is sarcasm by the way....  just in case I have to point that out to you.

Yes, we all know about it, it's just that most of us just get on with lives instead of stressing ourselves out banging on about it.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

My experience of opening a Thai bank account in February 2021.

I Walked into the Patong Branch of Bangkok Bank , the staff were extremely pleasant and pleased I had chosen Bangkok Bank.

Handed over my passport and after a few minutes asked to sign about 4 forms .

Then after about 15 minutes was handed a new passbook and told my account was now open.

The lady then asked if I needed there Banking app , which she kindly took my phone and arranged the Banking app on my phone.

I estimate the whole process took 30 minutes.

Sorry the OP had such hard time. I varies from bank to bank. My wife has an account at Bangkok bank, so I tried opening an account there.

No go,

they were asking for al sort of documents. If I remember correctly the main problem was that my passport and visa, needed  to be certified by the American embassy. We went to Kasikorn bank , where I had the same experience as you, Pleasant, and quick. In and out in less than 30 minutes. 

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

That must be an exaggeration....

regards Worgeordie

I had to sign my name about 16 times (I lost count of the exact number) to get a new ATM card, complicated because I had got a new passport since the original card was issued. They have a UV light by their desk and when they scanned my passbook and saw the info hidden there it set them off.  Took about an hour. If I want to get a new passbook I was told by my local bank that I need to do a 1600km round-trip to my branch in Bangkok to do so. I am unable to simply transfer my account to where I live now, nor open a new account as I don't have a work permit. So, I don't use the passbook, except to update once a year for my immigration extension.

• Like 1

Well listen to this then, my wife (Thai) can no longer use her Bangkok Bank ATM card since we returned to Thailand. Apparently they changed the PIN system to 6 digits while we were in England where we live. My wife went to Bangkok Bank branch where the account was originally opened and she was told she would have to report her ATM card missing at the police station in order for them to issue her a new card... unbelievable ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

My passport is almost full

Which means that you will presumably shortly be having to subject yourself to the cumbersomely bureaucratic rigours and hassles of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience with its 2 compulsory route marches several weeks apart from where you live to a VFS office in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. For the first such route march you will need to be armed with a whole array of docs including (1) a 4-page application form completed in your own fair hand (even though we are now well into the 21st Century!), (2) colour copies of each and every page in your current passport, (3) a couple of photos for your new passport complying with HMPO's extremely picky requirements as regards acceptable background colours (and which will probably entail multiple trips to professional photographers until you eventually manage to find one who is the proud possessor of a suitably-coloured background drape - light grey or cream - against which your mug shot can be taken), and, finally, (4) some suitable document proving your address despite the fact that those clowns in HMPO back in the UK aren't prepared to send your new passport directly to said address! Bet you won't still be skipping up and down your soi in a state of ecstatic delight, fulsomely singing the praises of UK bureaucracy to the highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread when compared to Thailand's after enduring all this bloody nonsense!

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

I am also a Geordie mate and my head is firmly in the real world.

My passport is almost full and as you should know, you have to sign a photocopy of EVERY page, and i had to do that twice. trust me, it is about 30 signatures when I take a trip to immigration.

Edited to add, I just counted the passsport pages and there are 26 including the bio page.

I opened an account at SCB bank last month.

Gave them my passport plus a copy of photo page only.

They checked the passport photo/visa page visually.

They gave me a form to sign [which they then completed]

10 minutes later I had a new atm card [200 baht] and a bank book

No trip to immigration needed.

Whole process 15 minutes.

My pet leave is foreign transfers (with SCB). App does not allow foreigners to make them (it literally says "Thai national only" when I click on it), have to go to bank fill in very long and antiquated BOT form and process takes about 30 minutes. Stone Age.

• Like 1

I can only speak about the Bangkok Bank and their system is more bureaucratic than anything I have experienced, however nothing like the poster describes but the service is excellent.

If you want to see how well they can do things in Thailand go with a Thai when they renew their passport.

We have renewed our daughter’s passport twice in Chiang Mai.

All documents are scanned into their system, they take the photos and the new passport was delivered by EMS three days later.

The cost was substantially less than both her Australian and UK passports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

My pet leave is foreign transfers (with SCB). App does not allow foreigners to make them (it literally says "Thai national only" when I click on it), have to go to bank fill in very long and antiquated BOT form and process takes about 30 minutes. Stone Age.

Thankfully I use the K+ App to make my international transfers, very easy process, not a mention of needing to be a Thai National or needing a Work Permit, maybe consider a change of bank.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 12:17 PM, worgeordie said:

That must be an exaggeration....

regards Worgeordie

It's not, I remember when I got married in Bangkok I must have signed about at least 50 times. Ask anyone you know who has applied and got the visa based on marriage in recent times, ask them how many signatures they had to do.

Regards. Possum.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It's not, I remember when I got married in Bangkok I must have signed about at least 50 times. Ask anyone you know who has applied and got the visa based on marriage in recent times, ask them how many signatures they had to do.

Regards. Possum.

The poster was talking about opening up a bank account......Marriage Visa different.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

Sorry the OP had such hard time. I varies from bank to bank. My wife has an account at Bangkok bank, so I tried opening an account there.

No go,

they were asking for al sort of documents. If I remember correctly the main problem was that my passport and visa, needed  to be certified by the American embassy. We went to Kasikorn bank , where I had the same experience as you, Pleasant, and quick. In and out in less than 30 minutes. 

Different banks and IOs all have their own rules, it is nothing more than bosses going on power trips.

This is Thailand.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The poster was talking about opening up a bank account......Marriage Visa different.

regards Worgeordie

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Different banks and IOs all have their own rules, it is nothing more than bosses going on power trips.

They are bureaucracy mad. This is Thailand. Regards Possum

Edited by possum1931

For me to open a new bank account in my name only 2019 Jan, for 800,000 baht for IMO to extend my one year extension of stay. I went to 6 different banks and branch office. All saying the I need some different documents, like certified copy of my pass port by the American embassy, need to go to the IMO and get form showing my address, need work permit even after showing and telling that I was retired and on a retirement visas and not authorized to work. One bank told me the truth they did what to open a account because I was a American and to much paper work to filed to the US IRS.  Finally went a Brach office in a mall for Bangkok Bank, they tried the same thing about proof of my address go to US Embassy and get a letter or IMO and get a document. But I read their Web site and made a copy the requirements, one proof of my address could be a until bill in my name and I had a water bill in my name only showing my address. That made the teller go to the manger and she came out to see me about document and show my copy of their requirements of poof my address. She called the Headquarters to ask them, guess she did not have a PC with internet of start phone. Account open with no more questions. I have since then moved my money out of the bank that told me to much paper work, after having five accounts with for more then 25 years, open before the US IRS requirements.    

23 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

The crucial point was his wife had a residency permit.

Exactly. In no way am I standing up for Thai bureaucracy but unless you have permanent residence/citizenship, you're always a temporary resident in Thailand. I suspect the OP's wife had FLR and a residence card?

To the best of my knowledge, without those 2 items its even worse than Thailand, you can't open an onshore account at all.

Edited by KhaoYai

12 hours ago, it is what it is said:

walked into a k bank branch, waited 5 mins in queue, quite a lot of photocopying, and one call to HO, then 30 minutes later i have an account. easy.

Yes I can say the same, in fact I didn't even have to queue. But it was the fourth bank that I'd tried!

Edited by Moonlover
Spelling