Video: Netizens comment in droves after Thai woman flees the rent, leaving flat in dirty state

webfact

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY5MC84NDU0MDk4L2RpaS5qcGc=.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reporters went to a block of flats opposite Central Plaza in Chonburi in eastern Thailand after someone posted online about a woman leaving a flat in a dirty state owing three months rent.

In the second floor room there was rotting food everywhere, plenty of sanitary napkins casually discarded and trash of all descriptions. There was even moss or lichen growing in the bathroom that had never been cleaner.

Owner of the three story block of flats Kanjana Songphaiboon, 57, said she didn't know who had made the social media post but it was all true.

She said that the renter was a very beautiful 22 year old Thai woman who dressed well and worked at a restaurant before the pandemic caused her to have to work in a factory.

But she got into financial difficulty and left owing 3 months rent. The owner contacted her and she claimed she was looking after her sick mum, but she never came back.

She had rented for 2 years.

Kanjana said the 2,000 baht rent and 1,000 deposit was not enough.

She had to pay 2,000 baht to have the place cleaned and now faces further bills to have it repaired. 

Sanook called the unnamed renter "suay tae sokmok" - beautiful but filthy. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, ezzra said:

What's so unusual about that? some do renters leaves properties in a disarray to one degree to another and others don't, and if you're a landlord to get to come across this things...

I used to live close to Harvard Medical School and rented apartments in my 3 family house.  The most filthy, grungy and smelly apartment ever was a medical student who graduated, got his MD and did a runner the same day.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Bet you will complain if a land lord who has experienced this charges you a high deposit because of past experiences. Then its probably unfair. 

Yes, some tenants are just total slobs. That's why we landlords have nice deposits and keep them. Som Nam Na to the great, poor unwashed. 

There are owners, and there are renters, and a lot of times these are

very different people as far as responsibility is concerned. I have seen some

renters leave their apartments in a similar state and say, oh well I paid a damage deposit.

The do not even notice that it will take twice the amount of their deposit to just clean the

place.  I have notified the land lord to say, get over here and look at your apartment, as your renter is 

going to leave at the end of the month, and the place is an absolute mess. The renter did not

know that the landlord went to the place and got pictures through the windows, informed the police

of the state of the place, and they came with a drug dog who smelled some stuff, so got a warrant and

went in took all sorts of pictures, and found some drugs. The renter ended up paying for all the mess

and damage, and even did some jail time.

I hope this young woman does not have a good future if this is how her karma is today.

Geezer

I mulled this over before renting my town house to my step daughter. I've given her  a 50% reduction in the rent. Her indoors laid down the law. Firstly keep the place clean and if you do get more than 3 mths behind in the rent you can expect your marching orders. She does have a decent cash flow which is drained monthly by a serious gambling habit. After 2 years all is well, she does push her limit at times but always pays me before she gets more than 3 months behind. As for renting to strangers I think I would rather leave it empty and use it as a holiday house. Good luck all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The renter did not

know that the landlord went to the place and got pictures through the windows, informed the police

of the state of the place, and they came with a drug dog who smelled some stuff, so got a warrant and

went in took all sorts of pictures, and found some drugs. The renter ended up paying for all the mess

Is all of this something that happened in Thailand or elsewhere?

On 10/6/2021 at 7:49 PM, ezzra said:

What's so unusual about that? some do renters leaves properties in a disarray to one degree to another and others don't, and if you're a landlord to get to come across this things...

Yep. The landlord managed to squeeze 2 years rent out of her and she's bitching about doing a cleanup ? I've been a landlord. Throw a pair of gloves and a mask on and get the dump cleaned up in a day or 2.

On 10/7/2021 at 3:34 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

There are owners, and there are renters, and a lot of times these are

very different people as far as responsibility is concerned. I have seen some

renters leave their apartments in a similar state and say, oh well I paid a damage deposit.

The do not even notice that it will take twice the amount of their deposit to just clean the

place.  I have notified the land lord to say, get over here and look at your apartment, as your renter is 

going to leave at the end of the month, and the place is an absolute mess. The renter did not

I hope this young woman does not have a good future if this is how her karma is today.

Geezer

Yeah well. Your expectations are too high. I don't expect much of anything to go right. If i can squeeze a few years rent out of someone, I'll accept a bit of a mess and just move on. Good renters are hard to come by but you can strike gold.

As a landlord my lease has included in it I have the right to inspect the property with 24 hours notice.

It is a good idea to inspect every 3 months or so just so the renter understands their obligations and you may see something that needs to be repaired and will cost more to fix later (water, roof leak).  Additionally any tenant caused damage can be charged to the tenant prior to move out in addition to the rent.

I have had businesses both as as a Landlord and as a 'builder'. Makes my blood boil when I see programmes titled 'Cowboy builders '  or 'Slum landlords'.  I have every sympathy for any tenant that has had their deposit retained or has to live with a leaking roof , but I challenge anyone to have to deal with customers that don't pay or tenants that use your property as a dumping site. I've seen and witnessed it all.