How to sign up for the login.gov (USA) web site as an expat?

wpcoe

For over ten years now I've been able to access my pension account by going directly to the PBGC web site, but now:  "Based on your feedback ... we are partnering with Login.gov to provide an extra layer of security, through two-factor authentication..."

My feedback, your ass.

To sign up for login.gov access they require a US address *and* a US phone number registered in your name (and specifically exclude Skype.) Has anybody here found a work around for that?

I did successfully upload a scan of my NV drivers license, and also set up 2FA using Google Authenticator, but that's not enough.  You need to jump over the address/phone hurdles, as well.

(For the photo/scan of the drivers license, they will not accept a scan/photo of less than 2MB.  <deleted>?  I had to artificially inflate the file size in Photoshop and save as a bloated .PNG file to satisfy them...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I registered (from Thailand) with login.gov ages ago, I honestly do not recall what was required back then. I'm pretty sure I used my address and phone number here in Thailand.

It may have been for my GlobalEntry/Trusted Traveler registration/renewal?

For me it does use SMS for 2FA, and it works with my Thai mobile number. The SMS is delivered reliably within a few seconds. You can use other forms of 2FA, like a FIDO key.

It didn't help me with registering with mySSA.com, which still, AFAIK, requires a U.S. physical address (or similar), matched against credit reports. I'm reluctant to fib on this one as the IRS and SSA already know I've lived in Thailand for many years.

It does show CPB and SSA as "connected accounts".

What are you hoping to use it for?

On 11/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, mtls2005 said:

It didn't help me with registering with mySSA.com, which still, AFAIK, requires a U.S. physical address (or similar), matched against credit reports. I'm reluctant to fib on this one as the IRS and SSA already know I've lived in Thailand for many years

It's the opposite for me:  I signed up for mySSA.org (I assume mySSA.com was a typo?) years ago and it still works with a direct log-on, although it does now offer logiin.gov log on.  (Can you enter the mySSA.org site using login.gov?)

On 11/11/2021 at 8:11 AM, mtls2005 said:

I registered (from Thailand) with login.gov ages ago, I honestly do not recall what was required back then. I'm pretty sure I used my address and phone number here in Thailand.

It may have been for my GlobalEntry/Trusted Traveler registration/renewal?

For me it does use SMS for 2FA, and it works with my Thai mobile number. The SMS is delivered reliably within a few seconds. You can use other forms of 2FA, like a FIDO key.

It didn't help me with registering with mySSA.com, which still, AFAIK, requires a U.S. physical address (or similar), matched against credit reports. I'm reluctant to fib on this one as the IRS and SSA already know I've lived in Thailand for many years.

It does show CPB and SSA as "connected accounts".

What are you hoping to use it for?

A US address is not required to open an account at ssa.gov.  My wife opened hers from Thailand.  But she had to use the id.me option which required an online authentication.  Continues to work fine.

image.png.5c2fb4a19c241241033098756e9ca96d.png

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

A US address is not required to open an account at ssa.gov.  My wife opened hers from Thailand.  But she had to use the id.me option which required an online authentication.  Continues to work fine.

I tried ID. me some time ago and it wanted a phone number to call but it would only accept a US phone number. I tried my US skype number but it would not work. They did reply to a email about it to send an email to schedule a interview by calling them but I never followed through on it.

Of course it might of changed now. I might try it again to see if things have changed.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I tried ID. me some time ago and it wanted a phone number to call but it would only accept a US phone number. I tried my US skype number but it would not work. They did reply to a email about it to send an email to schedule a interview by calling them but I never followed through on it.

Of course it might of changed now. I might try it again to see if things have changed.

I can't remember now whether my wife used her Thai phone number or her Google Voice number.  One of them worked.  The security of id.me is better than the old login method.  You have an online video session.  You have to send a copy of your passport and also have your picture taken with the passport in your hand.

When you login to myssa you have the option of logging in the old way IF you opened your account before Sept. 18 2021. I did. In my case they do require a code sent to my email address which of course is no problem.

If opened after that date, you must use the new scheme.

No idea if there will be a time limit on the grandfathering for older accounts.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Interesting.

I was able to finally register for myssa - I did use my U.S. address.

I used id.me and a FIDO card. Quite convoluted - used my passport card (front and back), my T-Mobile number of record and live facial scanning.

I can log-in to myssa.

Thanks cmarshall for the nudge.

I could not log in to login.gov today, I was unable to receive the SMSes to my Thai phone. I did receive SMSes on Nov 11, so not sure what's up there. One win today, maybe one loss?

For id.me I did add an Android Authenticator.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.id.auth

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I could not log in to login.gov today, I was unable to receive the SMSes to my Thai phone. I did receive SMSes on Nov 11, so not sure what's up there. One win today, maybe one loss?

There may be an issue with login.gov originating SMSes today? I opted for the automated call to my Thai mobile, it rang in from Alabama (caller ID) with an automated passcode. I was able to log in and added another phone number (U.S. mobile) and my FIDO key as authentications. So win win today.

Again thanks for the info.

56 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Interesting.

I was able to finally register for myssa - I did use my U.S. address.

I used id.me and a FIDO card. Quite convoluted - used my passport card (front and back), my T-Mobile number of record and live facial scanning.

I can log-in to myssa.

Thanks cmarshall for the nudge.

For id.me I did add an Android Authenticator.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.id.auth

When you logged in the first time you should have received a recovery code.  Very important to save that in a handy place, because you will never see it again.  My wife has had to use the recovery code to login several times.  When that happens they immediately give you a new recovery code for the next time.

19 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

When you logged in the first time you should have received a recovery code. 

Yes.

19 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Very important to save that in a handy place, because you will never see it again. 

Of course.

Adding another phone number (three now, text and voice, so six options), and the FIDO key give two (seven?) extra options before resorting to the recovery code.

I think you can also request backup codes. It's an  option on the left side of the dashboard.

I'm still not clear on the link, if any, between login.gov and myssa? SSA and CBP Trusted Traveler Program show as "connected" to login.gov in my account. The SSA link throws the 

This service is not available at this time.
Please try again during our regular service hours (Eastern Time):

message so need to follow up on that.

18 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes.

Of course.

Adding another phone number (three now, text and voice, so six options), and the FIDO key give two (seven?) extra options before resorting to the recovery code.

I think you can also request backup codes. It's an  option on the left side of the dashboard.

I'm still not clear on the link, if any, between login.gov and myssa? SSA and CBP Trusted Traveler Program show as "connected" to login.gov in my account. The SSA link throws the 

This service is not available at this time.
Please try again during our regular service hours (Eastern Time):

message so need to follow up on that.

Hours of operation of ssa.gov:

image.png.9de6fa21354c9246a5fd482a181a20af.png

I can log on to ssa.gov without using login.gov.  However, after 31-Dec-2021 I won't be able to log on to pbgc.gov without login.gov.  (Until then I can get a "read only" version of pbgc.gov)

My problem is that PBGC (Pension Guaranty Benefit Corporation) – who inherited my pension during my employer's bankruptcy – has not been able to figure out how to mail the 1099-R tax form that I need to file my taxes with the IRS.  I have *never* received one in the mail and rely on downloading it from the pbgc.gov web site.  As it stands now, I won't be able to file my taxes next year.

I talked to a pbgc.gov rep on the phone last week Monday and she acknowledged the problem I was facing.  She said it was a new system and they were "still ironing out the kinks" in it.  She said she would forward my issue to tech support and I would hear from them either that day or the next.  She said they would call me, but I said an e-mail would be fine, too, if they were unable to make international phone calls.  It has been twelve days since I talked to her.  No contact from tech support.  (Quelle surprise, non?)

I think you might be hosed re: setting up a login.gov account? Without a state-issued ID, with an address potentially matching that on your credit reports, and a legitimate U.S. mobile phone number, you may not be able to proceed. Evidently the account creation process is far more complex than when I did it several years ago (2018)? I may have created this account during a trip to the U.S. as I needed it to renew my Global Entry account.

https://login.gov/help/verify-your-identity/how-to-verify-your-identity/

https://login.gov/help/verify-your-identity/accepted-state-issued-identification/

You cannot verify your identity on Login.gov without a state-issued ID. We’re currently working to add more ways to verify your identity.

In the meantime, please contact the partner agency’s help center to find out what you can do.

For tax filing I assume you can determine the gross proceeds, perhaps from direct-deposit bank records? And any tax withheld, allowing you to file a return. Just add a cover letter detailing the situation. Or contact PBGC in February 2022 and see if they can email you a copy of your 1099? I know, for example, that SSA/Manilla will email a SSA-1099 upon request (locked PDF with separate email with PW). Or ask them to mail it to a family member, then ask them to open it and provide the box details.

Going forward, maybe get a security key, and consider a U.S. mobile number. I still use T-Mobile, but would recommend UltraMobile, which has WiFi calling, which I can confirm works fine here. Better than T-Mobile actually. You'll need someone in the U.S. to help set up the UltraMobile SIM, and then mail it to you here. Or have them amil the SIM, but then you'll need their help, or someone here with a real U.S. mobile number, to set it up. UM is $3/month.

My login.gov is connected to ssa.gov but it really only takes you to the website to create a new account, which I don't want to mess with as I already got it set up with id.me. 

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting article on Id.me:

How Did ID.me Get Between You and Your Identity?

Military veteran Blake Hall’s cybersecurity company has become the government’s digital gatekeeper. Its unproven estimate—$400 billion in pandemic unemployment fraud—is also very good for its business.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-01-20/cybersecurity-company-id-me-is-becoming-government-s-digital-gatekeeper

• Thanks 1

I have to admit I was, and remain, concerned about id.me and their stranglehold on my details. 

That said, I did my research, and made an informed decision that the benefits outweigh the risks.

And I continue to re-evaluate that decision. I'm not certain I can evaporate my account and be sure the details aren't still available.

The constant barrage of promotional emails - bordering on Ron Popeil territory - are not exactly inspiring.

Was there fraud, breakage and mis-directed spending in the various stimulus programs put forth in the wake of the COVID outbreak? D'oh. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/05/tom-bradys-company-tb12-received-more-than-960000-ppp-loan.html

But I guess I'm ok with that given the severity of the crisis and the need for a timely response. And I'm not sure that's related at all to the security of my details on id.me? Maybe a separate topic where political issues can be discussed?

OK, I just did it using my passport card, front and back required. But I used an Ultra US number and a US address I know is linked to a credit report, so no guaranty it'll work otherwise. But did do this from outside the US, no VPN needed.

Anyway, it's convenient to now be able to download all my tax files from the IRS, so worth the effort.

Yes, I too used my passport card (I think, maybe it was my Global Entry card?), my T-Mobile SIM, and a U.S. address also linked to my credit reports, also from thailand, didn't use a VPN. Worked for me.

I use a FIDO security key as my 2FA first option.

I can log in to my IRS (mySSA, and CBP) account.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently "synced" my grants.gov account with login.gov, because on 22 February grants.gov will require login.gov.  So far, it's working. There was no requirement for uploading photos, passports, or using any phone numbers, just the email account associated with grants.gov. Then, decided to try ID ME for use with the IRS.  Got to the point where it required a US telephone number, although it asked for and allowed my Thai phone number and address when I started the process, and could go no further. Sent an email and never heard back from them. Why is an unresponsive private company allowed to stand between me and my IRS financial information? Seems just like the Covid vaccine. If you're an expat you're on your on, until you owe them money of course for the "services" they provide you.

Quite a bit of pushback on the id.me requirement for a facial scan.

IRS says it will scrap facial-recognition ID.me plan following backlash

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/irs-id-me-facial-recognition-abandon/

IRS to drop facial recognition verification service

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/593137-irs-to-drop-facial-recognition-verification-service

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WePo1CZHPZ8

With the IRS dropping facial recognition and quite possibly ID.me all together, I wonder if this will have a domino affect in other "federal" agencies like the SSA, VA, etc., also getting pushed into doing the same thing....that is transitioning away from ID.Me.  Or maybe they will stick with ID.Me but just not use facial recognition/require upload of key docs like U.S. drivers license/State ID, passport, etc....instead, revert to using credit agency type info they have on you...like how they have been it for many years...and what I used years ago to create my IRS online acct...and SSA acct...and other accts.

If federal agencies switch to using say login.gov that does not use facial recognition AFAIK and apparently only accept folks with U.S. addresses then expats without a U.S. address may find it very hard creating an IRS/SSA/VA/etc., online acct.   

A few weeks ago I created an ID.Me online acct....the facial recognition didn't work for me so I instead I had to use their alternate method where you upload certain docs to prove my identity/etc., and also do an online video chat with a ID.me "referee" who reviewed the docs you upload, has you show them during the video chat, etc.   When the dust settled I was approved and could access my IRS acct via ID.Me credentials. 

I applied for the ID.Me credentials because I although I currently have IRS online acct credentials created directly with the IRS years ago the IRS website says those credentials will not work after Summer 2022 (no specific date given....just says summer) and an ID.Me acct would be required.   If the IRS drops ID.Me, I wonder if they will keep my original logon credentials alive or just switch to using another identity verification entity/company.  Time will tell.

But anyway, the ID.Me online video chat feature or what they call Trusted Referee is a nice feature to verify you are who you say you are when trying to proof you identity use credit agency/public data type info does not work.

The issues with id.me seem focused on:

privacy and security of biometric data

long wait-times to successfully register

that id.me could share biometric data with authorities

inherent bias (racial) in facial recognition 

The first three are probably issues for any identification application?

I think the pushback this week is in response to the facial recognition bit, which is a step too far for some/many/most?

I don't understand why the facial recognition bit is vital to verifying identity, I mean it's not used subsequently to verify log-in. Maybe it would be used to re-verify identity in the case of a lost/forgotten credential or 2FA?  Will be interesting to see if the government demands that id/me scrub their existing facial recognition data? 

Verifying identity is vital for governments in their ability to deliver services. Login.gov, the government's (GSA) own in-house secure sign-in service, has had challenges gaining traction with other government agencies. I successfully registered for login.gov a few years ago, and while I don't recall the procedures, it must have been quite easy. 

An older FOIA Login.gov list...

https://cdn.muckrock.com/foia_files/2020/10/09/001084-Galbraith-RD-UR.pdf

Regarding using ID.me for IRS logon credentials....talks the revised procedure....various changes such as but not limited to no longer requiring face scan or live selfie as of 7 Feb 2022.  It says a U.S. mobile number registered in your name is needed; however, if not having a U.S. mobile number registered in your name then the activation code can be mailed to you.  

The activation code can even be mailed to your foreign address although using a foreign address for IRS online acct credentials will place limits on your IRS online acct usage such as only being able to use it for online payments versus also being able to use it to get transcripts, IP-PIN, etc.  But if you've been using a U.S. address on your federal return and also use that address to create your ID.Me/IRS online acct there should not be any limitations.  

I expect only a "postpaid" U.S. mobile number would work as such a number is registered in your name; however, a prepaid number may not work as normally it's a number that is not registered in your name although you may use your name & U.S. billing address to pay for prepaid services.  However, if you can't use your U.S. mobile number in the validation process then you can have the activation code mailed to you but the code must be received & used within 30 days.   By used you would go to a certain weblink and enter the code to complete the activation process based on my past experience.

A couple years back when I applied for IRS logon credentials (pre-ID.me...when IRS used another identity verification service which was  one of the credit reporting agencies) my Google Voice number or prepaid T-Mobile $3/month mobile numbers didn't pass muster under the IRS validation process since they are not formally registered in my name....instead, I got the activation code via mail which allowed me to complete the IRS credential validation process.   To get the activation code via mail vs mobile number you still have to pass the other validation requirements...getting the activation code is like the final step.

A a few weeks ago I completed the ID.Me IRS validation process when face scan/selfie was still required although the face scan method did not work for me and I instead had to upload some docs and do a ID.Me "Trusted Referee" video call which worked out for me.

Keep in mind that's it "not" ID.Me that sets the identity verification requirements for its customers such as the IRS, SSA, VA, and many other state govt and private companies/organizations.   It's the customers who tell ID.Me what is required. 

In some cases the identity verifications requirements set by the customer are stringent (kinda like IRS identity verification requirements) and in other cases not so stringent like maybe only requiring basic identity info along with a unique customer membership/license number which the applicant has.   I found this out in some correspondence with ID.Me a month or so ago when getting ready to apply for IRS credentials thru ID.Me.  Plus, from some personal experience, a year or more ago when I first created my ID.Me acct in order to access a certain Veteran Administration (VA) website which used ID.Me, the VA identity verification requirements for this particular website were not stringent.

Anyway, see below for revised procedures for ID.Me IRS online acct credentials based on the efile.com knowledge base article.  Will also be interesting to see if other federal govt agencies which use ID.Me like the SSA also dump the face scan/selfie requirements---I expect they will.

https://www.efile.com/kb/ef0012/

Important: The IRS will be migrating all old accounts to use an ID.me account some time during 2022. All new accounts will be set up using this method and old account users will no longer be able to sign in using their IRS accounts login. ID.me is a secure way to verify your identity to be linked to your IRS account. To set this up, you will need to create a username and password, enter a few pieces of identifying information (date of birth, Social Security Number, etc.) and verify your identity. The ID.me platform will walk you through this; have your SSN, license, or passport handy when creating this account. The face-scan or "live selfie" is no longer going to be required.

Here is what you will need to verify your identity during the 15 minute IRS account and registration process through ID.me:

• A valid email address; check your spam folder during the process as you might get emails from the IRS.
    • Your valid Social Security Number - SSN - or Individual Tax Identification Number - ITIN.
    • The tax filing status of your latest tax return. Obtain a copy digitally or retrieve a physical copy.
    • The mailing address on that tax return. Enter the exact address as shown on the last return. Note: If you just filed a return with a new address, try entering the old address as that might still be stored.
      • In case of a PO Box address, enter 'PO Box" in the ‘Address Line 1‘ field with no periods and the number; e.g. PO Box 123. 
      • Military Address: Enter APO, FPO or DPO as the ‘City’ and select/enter AA, AE, or AP from the ‘State/U.S. Territory’ dropdown.
      • A foreign address can only be registered for the online payment portal, not IP-PIN, transcript, etc. See more: information on taxes for foreign aliens and U.S. Citizens and resident aliens working or living abroad.
    • Financial account number(s) linked to your name. For example, you might be asked to enter or select the last 8 digits of your credit card - American Express, debit, or corporate cards are excluded. Your financial information will be verified by Experian; some account numbers could fail the verification process.
    • Loans: You might be asked to enter your student loan account number - the number might consist of numbers and/or letters, but does not include any symbols - provided on your student loan statement. Student loans issued by Nelnet can not be verified.
      • Or, you might be asked to verify or enter mortgage information or home equity loan data.
      • Or, verify or enter home equity line of credit or auto, car loan information.
    • A mobile phone must be linked to your name; it must be U.S. based and able to receive text messages. During registration, you will receive a one-time activation code to your mobile phone number. You have limited time to enter this code.
      • If you do not have a U.S. based phone registered in your name, select to receive the activation code by postal mail. Once you have the code, you have 30 days to complete your account registration. After that, you can download the IRS mobile app to receive codes.
      • If for any other reason you can not register with your phone, request the activation code by mail.
    • During the registration process or later, you might receive tax messages originated from IRS number 77958 or phone number: 202-552-1226. If you previously opted out of receiving text messages, send this text message: Text IN to 77958.
    • No longer required: A mobile phone or computer with a camera. The ID.me registration process will require a "live selfie" which would use biometric data to compare your facial features to a government issued ID, such as a driver's license. The IRS is no longer requiring this as of February 7, 2021 due to backlash.

If you are unable to create an account with the IRS for any reason, there are two options to request a Tax Return Transcript by mail. Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery.

1. Visit this IRS Get Transcript page. Scroll down and click the blue Get Transcript by Mail button on the right side of that page. You will need your SSN/ITIN, Date of Birth, and the Address on your latest filed Tax Return. After you enter that information, you will then be able to select which tax year you need a Transcript for.
  2. Call 1-800-908-9946 and request your Tax Return Transcript over the phone.

ID.Me dropping facial recognition requirement across the board.  Go to Washington Post weblink for full story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/02/09/irs-idme-facial-recognition-login/

The private contractor ID.me says it will drop the facial recognition requirement in the identity-verification software used by 30 states and 10 federal agencies, a major reversal following a backlash due to the technology’s accuracy and privacy concerns.

The announcement came one day after the Internal Revenue Service said it would abandon its plan to require anyone seeking to access their tax records online to submit a “video selfie” to ID.me, which scans people’s faces to look for identity theft or fraud.

The company’s face scans have been run on millions of Americans seeking unemployment insurance, tax credits, pandemic assistance grants or other government services in states including California, Florida, New York and Texas as well as the federal agencies handling Social Security, Labor and Veterans Affairs.

After questioning from The Washington Post, the company also announced that anyone could delete their selfie or photo data starting March 1. The company said its technology has been used by 73 million people, with more than 145,000 new people joining every day.

“We have listened to the feedback about facial recognition and are making this important change, adding an option for users to verify directly with a human agent to ensure consumers have even more choice and control over their personal data,” Blake Hall, the company’s founder and chief, said in a statement late Tuesday.