Help weighing 20 year Elite Visa vs. marriage visa with 20 annual extensions

I see on the Thailand Elite website that the 5 year visa for 600,000 baht touts the included privilege of the right to upgrade to the 20 year membership for an additional 400,000 baht. So given that, it doesn't make sense to me that anyone would go for the 20 year off the bat unless they're worried that the price of the visa may change or the availability window will close. 

In my opinion, the Thailand Elite visas may suffer reduced demand if these new SMART visas, including a digital nomad visa with no investment requirement (only a monthly income requirement) actually materialize. In such a case maybe the Elite visas will become discounted again as I believe they were once during the pandemic (I think for a brief time it was possible to get the 20 year version for 500,000 instead of 1 million).

I might be able to get a remote job that would qualify me for the nomad visa if it actually materializes but I'm not holding my breath as it seems like these new visa types are covers for attracting criminal money from Russia and China. Only for criminally earned or laundered money would investment in Thailand be safer / more attractive than non-investment IMO. The inability to obtain permanent residence, at least with realistic odds, is probably the worst thing about Thailand for foreigners and I expect that to remain the case as long as the government is trying to use visa schemes as methods of extortion to buffer against the growing losses in the economy.

Edited by wml22

2 hours ago, wml22 said:

What a big misunderstanding on my part. So I guess the freedom from 90 day reporting and not having to keep 400,000 baht tied up in the bank are the main benefits for someone who is married to a Thai anyway. Along with freedom from the risks that the marriage visa extension requirements could become inflated. But it sounds like if the government for reasons of corruption wants to turn Sinovac or Sinopharm boosters into an ongoing cash cow for bribes from the CCP, for example, to keep ordering more of them every year, then it's likely that having an elite visa wouldn't spare me from being forced to get the booster every year in order to get the extension when I pay the 1900 baht. (That may sound like tinfoil hat thinking but there's almost nothing I wouldn't put past this government at this point.) I doubt I'd be able to get exempted for having an autoimmune disease (not like they care if they kill me IMO).

Did your doctor tell you you can't take Sinovac and Sinopharm? They are older type vaccines and should be the safest, yet not so effective.

The Chinese influence is likely to increase in the next 20 years in Thailand, as the Chinese economy gets bigger and the countries around are more interconnected. You may to bake this into your 20 years time frame, as you seem to have issues with the China and the Chinese.

Personally 20 years is too long to do any reasonable planning for Thailand, I would go to the marriage extension path. Things may get worse, or better, you never know.

Just now, gearbox said:

Did your doctor tell you you can't take Sinovac and Sinopharm? They are older type vaccines and should be the safest, yet not so effective.

The Chinese influence is likely to increase in the next 20 years in Thailand, as the Chinese economy gets bigger and the countries around are more interconnected. You may to bake this into your 20 years time frame, as you seem to have issues with the China and the Chinese.

Personally 20 years is too long to do any reasonable planning for Thailand, I would go to the marriage extension path. Things may get worse, or better, you never know.

My main issue with Chinese influence over Thailand is that stronger Chinese influence means weaker chances of democratic reform here IMO, and we see how the current economic and human rights situations have been deteriorating since the last coup (which started to have negative effects even before Covid IMO).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wml22 said:

My main issue with Chinese influence over Thailand is that stronger Chinese influence means weaker chances of democratic reform here IMO, and we see how the current economic and human rights situations have been deteriorating since the last coup (which started to have negative effects even before Covid IMO).

I'm not sure how you can exercise your democracy rights here in Thailand as you are not a Thai citizen, and don't have a say how this country is governed.

If by democracy you mean the right to whinge, all is good, look at all of the whingers on TVF, they don't have any obstacles and issues.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wml22 said:

I see on the Thailand Elite website that the 5 year visa for 600,000 baht touts the included privilege of the right to upgrade to the 20 year membership for an additional 400,000 baht. So given that, it doesn't make sense to me that anyone would go for the 20 year off the bat unless they're worried that the price of the visa may change or the availability window will close. 

In my opinion, the Thailand Elite visas may suffer reduced demand if these new SMART visas, including a digital nomad visa with no investment requirement (only a monthly income requirement) actually materialize. In such a case maybe the Elite visas will become discounted again as I believe they were once during the pandemic (I think for a brief time it was possible to get the 20 year version for 500,000 instead of 1 million).

I might be able to get a remote job that would qualify me for the nomad visa if it actually materializes but I'm not holding my breath as it seems like these new visa types are covers for attracting criminal money from Russia and China. Only for criminally earned or laundered money would investment in Thailand be safer / more attractive than non-investment IMO. The inability to obtain permanent residence, at least with realistic odds, is probably the worst thing about Thailand for foreigners and I expect that to remain the case as long as the government is trying to use visa schemes as methods of extortion to buffer against the growing losses in the economy.

If you are above 50 and from certain countries you may be able to get 10 years O-X visa which may be cheaper in the long run than the 20 years Elite visa. After the first year you need 1.5 mil in a Thai bank, and that could be in a foreign currency account. Separately medical 40/400 medical insurance is needed, but at least you get something for your money, and you can cancel that arrangement and any time, get your money back from the bank and let the insurance expire without renewing it.

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can't you just do 40k transfer a month non O based on marriage?

90 day report is easy

Elite is only worthwhile if in 20s to 45 and single i reckon

I was reluctant to consider the 40k baht per month route with the annual marriage extension because I wasn't sure what qualifies as "income" for this purpose. If I can demonstrate that I have simply transferred 40,000 baht from my U.S. bank account to my Thai bank account once per calendar month, over 12 consecutive months, I guess that counts as "income"? Because if the source of funds must be employment and I don't have a work permit, but earned the 40,000 baht from a remote job for example, then would they possibly perceive the monthly income meeting the extension requirement as evidence that I'm breaking the law by working inside Thailand without a work permit?

If the 40,000 baht can be sourced from anything and isn't transferred under the assumption that it's employment income then it seems like I can just transfer mostly the same baht back and forth, theoretically, and that doesn't make sense. For example: transfer 40,000 baht into Thai bank account from my U.S. account, then transfer back 30,000 baht to the U.S. account. Next month, transfer 40,000 baht into the Thai bank account again, but 30,000 of that is the same money I recycled. Doing this would enable one to effectively maintain the "income" requirement while making much less salary from a remote job or drawing from much less savings than 40,000x12 per year.

So I assumed the definition of "income" could create risks from using this method if they think the source of funds is remote employment and I don't have a work permit. That's why it seemed safer to just use the 400,000 baht deposit route. Does this make sense?

Edited by wml22

4 hours ago, wml22 said:

3) What is the cost analysis of how much more or less expensive the 20 Year Elite visa is compared with getting 20 one-year annual extensions of a marriage visa?

1mbht Vs 42kbht + 400kbht in a bank account (2,100bht x 20 inc cost of bank letter and 3 months bank statement)

This year my 1 year extension at CM immigration took less than 2 hours and included a 90 day report. Normally I use the drive through 90 day report, less than 5 minutes.

Edited by BritManToo

58 minutes ago, wml22 said:

I was reluctant to consider the 40k baht per month route with the annual marriage extension because I wasn't sure what qualifies as "income" for this purpose. If I can demonstrate that I have simply transferred 40,000 baht from my U.S. bank account to my Thai bank account once per calendar month, over 12 consecutive months, I guess that counts as "income"? Because if the source of funds must be employment and I don't have a work permit, but earned the 40,000 baht from a remote job for example, then would they possibly perceive the monthly income meeting the extension requirement as evidence that I'm breaking the law by working inside Thailand without a work permit?

If the 40,000 baht can be sourced from anything and isn't transferred under the assumption that it's employment income then it seems like I can just transfer mostly the same baht back and forth, theoretically, and that doesn't make sense. For example: transfer 40,000 baht into Thai bank account from my U.S. account, then transfer back 30,000 baht to the U.S. account. Next month, transfer 40,000 baht into the Thai bank account again, but 30,000 of that is the same money I recycled. Doing this would enable one to effectively maintain the "income" requirement while making much less salary from a remote job or drawing from much less savings than 40,000x12 per year.

So I assumed the definition of "income" could create risks from using this method if they think the source of funds is remote employment and I don't have a work permit. That's why it seemed safer to just use the 400,000 baht deposit route. Does this make sense?

For an American i think you can transfer in 40k a month from abroad, no one cares source of income, someone else can confirm, sure I've read it loads of times

I have a 5 year Elite Visa. I live in Kanchanaburi - so Thai Elite are useless for me for 90 day reporting.  Honestly , the 90 day report takes me between 5 and 10 minutes in the local immigration office.

I have to do the annual extension here myself as well - no big problem - I just needed a letter from Thai Elite, along with all the other bumff required.

Thai Elite say they will help you open bank accounts & get a local drivers licence.  I did not need the banking help - and their 'help' in me obtaining a Thai Drivers licence was simply telling me the protocol for getting a license here - so not much help really!!

The Only reason why I got the visa was to return to Thailand a little sooner, as the borders were opened to Thai Elite Visa holders a little earlier than some other visa categories. Now I am here, when my 5 years is up - I will go for either a marriage or retirement visa. It is a matter of weighing up leaving 4-800K baht in a bank account (That in theory I still have access to) or giving away 600K + to Thai Elite... A no-brainer in my book.

• Like 1

Elite vs Retirement - Family

Different situations for everyone - No one size fits all. Not socks. 

I took the Elite because

1)

My Retirement needed to be renewed. 

Thanks to problems with traveling and the Virus, I could not access some docs without risky travel. 

2)

I also had just taken the newly required insurance for the 1st time for retirement extension. Did a lot of research. 

The Insurance Company  still pulled two bait - switch price increases right before I signed. 

(Used the insurance that 1st year - It's overpriced <deleted>. Better to be self insured. )

3)

We used to live walking distance to the Jomtien immigration office. 

Very convenient and efficiently run. 

Kohn Kaen office is over 2 hours from us. 

Makes annual extensions a PITA.

Bit the bullet and went for the 20 year Elite for 1 Million Baht. 

Yes, it's a lot of money, and the Govt may change the rules.

But, I'm still glad I did this. 

1) 

No insurance requirement. No longer forced to spend min 30 to 40k baht for mostly useless coverage that would only increase every year. 

2) 

No annual extensions (If you leave & return once a year). Otherwise, 1900 baht needed for renewal "entry" stamp. Thanks to the Virus, I did need to do this. The Elite staff helped get an appointment with local Immigration. Made it easier. 

3)

No re-entry permits or fees. 

Cons

1)

Obviously, the 1 Million Baht price. 

I traded that for the 800k Baht retirement deposit. 

As I explained to my somewhat unhappy wife - Sorry Darling, but  If I die way before the 20 years is up, the lost 800k baht is the least of my problems. 

2)

We don't live in Bangkok. So many of the benefits of the visa (Help with 90 day reporting) don't apply. 

3)

When we went to wire the fee, our bank took several hours calling around before they were convinced it wasn't a scam. Apparently, there aren't many people here in KK on the plan. 

Hint- Confusion when the  bank called Immigration, they asked about a 20 year visa.  Those don't technically exist.  The Elite 20 is actually four - 5 year visas. 

(The people at the bank were trying to do the right thing - I did sent a letter to headquarters thanking them).

When I've had questions, the Elite staff have responded quickly. 

So - again, am happy with the choice.  

• Like 1

for what it's worth I wouldn't waste my time on an elite visa. Investigated that option a couple of years ago and it's not worth it. First you don't get to keep your money, that liners the pockets of the elite visa crowd whereas with the marriage visa you get to keep your money in YOUR bank account. Yes the marriage visa has lots of extra hoops to jump through, but so does the elite visa. Based on the information I was given by the elite visa personnel you still have to do 90 day reports AND the equivalent of annual extensions. IMHO not worth it at all, in fact the way they advertise & promote it is quite misleading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbb said:

No insurance requirement. No longer forced to spend min 30 to 40k baht for mostly useless coverage that would only increase every year. 

That’s one of the reasons I opted for the elite visa, even though I’d have been eligible for the so-called retirement visa-that’s-not-really-a-visa, but of course there’s no guarantee that elite visa holders will be exempt from compulsory insurance in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

That’s one of the reasons I opted for the elite visa, even though I’d have been eligible for the so-called retirement visa-that’s-not-really-a-visa, but of course there’s no guarantee that elite visa holders will be exempt from compulsory insurance in the future.

I just got done at Muang Thong immigration branch in Bangkok (first went to Chaeng Wattana which was a waste of time because the extension services were moved "temporarily" and there was no way to know in advance of going to the wrong office). I saw that this same building is where the 90 day reporting is done in Bangkok. What a huge pain to go there if it's required every time. So for Bangkok residents I assume they were there despite what a pain it is to get there because the online reporting website isn't working? And I assume there's no more convenient location near the city center? If that's the case then the 90 day report assistance from the Elite staff is worth a lot more for people living in Bangkok than in other places because (a) these jerks put the offices so far out from the city center, and because (b) the online reporting is often or usually broken. Can anyone confirm points (a) and (b)?

Regarding the health insurance requirement, that's only for retirement visa right? So it wouldn't be a relevant point of comparison for choosing between elite and marriage visa, unless the risk of the insurance requirement being added to the marriage visa is higher than the risk of it being added to the elite visa.

Edited by wml22

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Whatever visa type you get, will not protect you from a vaccination requirement on entry if one is enacted later.

I'm already vaccinated with the j&j vaccine but I had a bad reaction to it and don't want to be forced to get booster shots down the line. If there arose some situation where vaccination was required but not boosters, for tourism category visas such as the elite visa, but boosters were required for non-o visas, then I'd be glad if I had the elite visa. But I realize it's pretty far out speculation to imagine that scenario.

31 minutes ago, wml22 said:

If that's the case then the 90 day report assistance from the Elite staff is worth a lot more for people living in Bangkok than in other places because (a) these jerks put the offices so far out from the city center, and because (b) the online reporting is often or usually broken. Can anyone confirm points (a) and (b)?

Regarding the health insurance requirement, that's only for retirement visa right? So it wouldn't be a relevant point of comparison for choosing between elite and marriage visa

Sorry, can’t answer (a) or (b), as pre virus, my plan was to never spend 90 days straight in Thailand anyway, wanted to use Thailand as a base for pretty much constant travel, and I’m now stuck in Australia. As for a marriage visa, I thinks it’s exceedingly unlikely I’ll ever need one of those!

• Like 1

1) For the 20 Year Elite visa, it has to be renewed every five years, but the renewals are all pre-paid (without additional fees or costs at time of renewal), correct? Meaning that when you buy a 20 Year Elite Visa, it's not giving you 20 years as one visa, but it's giving you 5 years plus three five year extensions that have been prepaid. So if I understand correctly, that means that if vaccination booster requirements are eventually imposed for getting visa extensions or renewals, and if I had bought my 20 Year Elite visa in January 2022, then I would not be spared from subjection to the booster requirement until January of 2042. Rather, I would be facing the booster requirement at the time of needing the first of the three 5 year extensions, in January 2027. Is this correct?

Requirements could be added at any time.  Most likely at 5-year renewal, but possibly whenever you have business at the immigration (extension of stay if staying over 1 year in Thailand, 90-Day reporting, getting a Certificate of Residence, even entering the country).  I don't think you are purchasing immunity from changes of the conditions of the Elite Visa.  Can be changed at any time.

That said, there are no vaccination requirements involved with staying in Thailand at the moment.  92.7% of the things talked about in the Thai media don't ever come to pass.

2) If I buy a 20 Year Elite visa for 1 million baht, do I have to pay any additional extension or renewal fees during the next 20 years, or will the 1 million baht actually be my all-in, total cost for the 20 year period?

If you stay continuously in Thailand for a year you have to apply for an extension of stay at immigration costing 1,900 baht.  You have to do this, Thai Elite doesn't do it for you, doesn't notify you that are due to visit the immigration office as you approach a year long stay in Thailand.  You do it.  If you don't you go on overstay.  If you are on overstay long enough and caught you get deported and depending on how long you have overstayed a possible ban from entering Thailand.  Yes, this exact thing happened to some Elite visa holders who stayed in Thailand for over a year without realizing they had to apply for an extension of stay.  Granted these people weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer, but Elite visa seems to cater to these sort of people who want things "taken care of" for them.  I'm referring to people who have people to do things for them because they can't be bothered to do them for themselves (sorry, just my opinion).

3) What is the cost analysis of how much more or less expensive the 20 Year Elite visa is compared with getting 20 one-year annual extensions of a marriage visa?

The extension of stay each year costs 1,900 baht (all extensions of stay cost exactly the same price).  Whether you get that extension of stay for purpose of retirement (over 50) or marriage, or because you are on elite visa and have been in Thailand continuously for a year.  The 400/800k baht is your money to do with as you please when you leave Thailand. 

You can also use portions/entire amount of the money during certain months of the year, so it's not true that you can't touch it.  For marriage you have to have 400k in the bank 2 months before applying for extension and then an extra month or so before you receive your extension.  The rest of the year there is no minimum balance requirement.  For retirement you must have 800k in Thai bank 2 months before applying for extension and then 3 months after applying.  During the rest of the year you must maintain 400k minimum balance, the rest can be used as you wish.  The Elite visa is paid for in advance and there are no refunds.

4) I currently have 600,000 baht in a Thai bank account in case I was going to go the marriage visa route. But if I want to buy a 20 Year Elite Visa instead, can I pay 500,000 baht from my Thai bank account and 500,000 baht from my U.S. bank account, and would that be accepted without causing other problems (e.g. to make sure, are there any minimum Thai bank balance requirements for maintaining the elite visa, as there are for maintaining the marriage visa)?

No, there are no Thai bank balance requirements for maintaining an Elite visa.  I don't think there are requirements about where the money comes from to pay for the Elite visa.

5) My fiancee and me do not plan to have children, so the prospect of permanent residence through marriage requires that we stay married for five years before applying instead of three years (the time required if we had children). I have read how difficult it is to actually get permanent residence granted. I am inferring that even meeting the five year requirement, my chances of approval would be poor without having had Thai children with my partner. Should permanent residence eligibility even be a realistic consideration when deliberating between choosing the 20 Year Elite visa or the marriage visa route?

You can apply for citizenship (better/cheaper than permanent residence) after three years if you are married to a Thai (having children doesn't effect the duration).  BUT, in order to gain PR or citizenship it requires that you be legally working continuously (and paying taxes in Thailand) for those three years (at least) and any additional time it takes to approve your application.  So if you aren't working in Thailand legally and paying Thai taxes for at least three years (if married) or five years (if unmarried) it doesn't really seem realistic to consider pursuing either PR or citizenship. 

If you are interested in the PR/citizenship subject this is an excellent website that explains the issues involved (it's the gold standard of information about this subject):

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/

6) I know this is speculation, but maybe some well-reasoned and educated guesses would be helpful to read, so I'll ask: do you think there's a greater risk that the government in the future will renege on the promise of 20 Year validity after purchasing the 20 Year Elite visa (e.g. if they cancel the elite visas 10 years from now, then they effectively will have stolen 500,000 baht from me, or half of the purchase value), or do you think there's a greater risk, comparatively, that the marriage visa requirements will become more onerous and exclusive (e.g. maybe they could raise the minimum bank balance requirement from 400,000 baht to 2 million baht, or maybe they could change the 90 day reporting to become 45 day reporting, etc.)?

They can change anything at any time.  My crystal ball is very cloudy.  Raising the minimum balances required is a real possibility as they have not been raised in a fairly long time.  They may (or may not) grandfather people in who have been on continuous extensions under the old rules rather than making them adhere to the new minimum balances (there is precedent for doing that in the past, but it is not required, and certainly not guaranteed).

I don't personally see them changing 90-Day Reporting to 45 days rather than 90.  I think it's more likely 90-Day Reporting is abandoned entirely.  But yes, anything is possible.  (An aside:  90-Day Reporting is an annoyance but not a serious problem, if you don't do it the worst that happens to you is you get fined 2,000 baht for being late to file the report.  It's in no way, shape, or form, the equivalent of an overstay of permission to stay (which is very serious).  Many can do it online (some can't), and in Phuket I can do in a drive-through lane at the immigration office and takes 5 minutes and all I need to show is passport and my previous 90-day receipt stapled into the passport.  A lot of ink is spilled over something that is fairly trivial.

Mandatory health insurance is not trivial and in fact a very big deal.  It can be imposed on any extension of stay and on any visa (including the Elite visa).  Nothing prevents them from changing the requirements.

7) Are there any other angles that I should consider for making this decision, that I've neglected to ask about in questions 1-6?

I can see why people chose the Elite visa if they are under 50 years of age and unmarried to a Thai, as it's the easiest way for them to stay in Thailand for a long term.  I should think it would have zero appeal for people who are 50 and over or married who can chose the retirement or marriage extension routes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wml22 said:

I'm already vaccinated with the j&j vaccine but I had a bad reaction to it and don't want to be forced to get booster shots down the line. If there arose some situation where vaccination was required but not boosters, for tourism category visas such as the elite visa, but boosters were required for non-o visas, then I'd be glad if I had the elite visa. But I realize it's pretty far out speculation to imagine that scenario.

More than far out. Downright unlikely.

There is already a vaccination requirement for entry, applicable to all visa types. (Alternative, if unvaccinated, is quarantine).

And there is currently no booster requirement.

Whatever they decide to do in future, is not going to vary by visa type.

• Like 2

The 1m is sort of a membership fee to allow you to stay in Thailand up to 1 year instead of the 30 days (under the visa waiver program) as a tourist. I do not see why the government or immigration should change this, as it does not grant you a status in the country other than being a tourist.

Everybody has his or her own reasons for choice of visa, my preference is a marriage visa. It definitely gives you a different standing than a tourist, but whether that has any value for you I don't know. Financially, you probably need to weigh the 1m against 20 years of 1900 Baht annual visa renewal fees plus 1000 Baht per trip reentry permit fee or 3800 Baht per year multiple reentry permit fee.

As for the 90 days reporting, which you need to do irrespective of the visa type unless you leave before 90 days and reenter, why are you not doing it online? It's simple and fast and does not require you to visit immigration.

• Like 1

Here is my take on it. 

My wife and I moved to Thailand in November 2017. 

Both from USA, in 40's, I work in Saudi Arabia (so, I was always coming and  going). She got an ED -Visa for Learning Thai Language.  

I added up the total cost of everything.... 

Her School, the Visa Cost, air tickets for us to leave Thailand for ger Visa, Rented Condo, the costs for ger to use a Grab while I was at work....

I added up the entire, total costs. 

That all came up to between $3500-4000 a year. 

We had to move back to USA June of 2020 (I could not travel for work, COVID-19 shutdowns).

We DO plan to move back to Thailand in the Future. 

We also will be getting the Family Elite Visa for 800,000 Baht instead of doing the ED-Visa.

Why? ...  my wife also hates hates hates dealing with the Immigration constantly.  Plus the cost difference is minimal....  $3,500 a year for only her to have a Visa vs $5,000 a year(average) for us Both to have an Elite Visa. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

In MANY threads I have suggested and in some cases recommended agents.

Have assisted several via pm and directly in that regard. 

In this thread the OP did not ask about that option or seem to have a need. 

Maybe he didn't know about it or thinks it is illegal. I was here about five years before I knew anything about agents.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 12:22 PM, jackdd said:

With the elite visa you have to apply for an extension every year at immigration and pay 1900, just as if you applied for a marriage extension. You just don't need any money seasoned and fewer documents.

elite visa is a complete waste of money. a marriage visa extension is a pretty simple process just keep 400,000 bt in your bank for 2 months every year. The same requirements have been in force for the last 20 years why should there be any changes now. 

34 minutes ago, antony77 said:

elite visa is a complete waste of money. a marriage visa extension is a pretty simple process just keep 400,000 bt in your bank for 2 months every year. The same requirements have been in force for the last 20 years why should there be any changes now. 

Well, the OA visa/extension requirements stayed basically the same for 20 years also....then around two years ago out of the blue they added the medical insurance requirement, required 400K to 800K throughout the year versus just 3 months before,  and there was no grandfathering (except the Phuket IO seems to grandfather the insurance requirement).    Thai visa/extension requirements can change with little notice and with no grandfathering. 

• Like 1

I might be wrong here so please correct me if I am.

On Elite VISA you can NOT get a Work Permit to work in Thailand.

Also on Elite VISA it will NOT be possible to apply for Permanent Residency or Citizen ship. Even if you have it for 5 years. Only thing you must do is repurchase 5 more years.

Edited by Eaglekott

12 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I might be wrong here so please correct me if I am.

On Elite VISA you can NOT get a Work Permit to work in Thailand.

Also on Elite VISA it will NOT be possible to apply for Permanent Residency or Citizen ship. Even if you have it for 5 years. Only thing you must do is repurchase 5 more years.

You are correct on both points.

An Elite Visa does not allow one to work in Thailand.

As you cannot legally work in Thailand on an Elite Visa, and legally working in Thailand and paying taxes for a minimum of 3 years (if married to a Thai) or 5 years (if unmarried to a Thai) is required to apply for a PR or citizenship, there is no way to apply if you are staying on the basis of an Elite Visa.

If interested in PR or citizenship one must be on a visa or an extension of stay therefrom of a Non-O for marriage (which allows one to work), or a Non-B visa or an extension of stay therefrom, or another long term visa or extension of stay therefrom that allows one to legally work in Thailand and pay taxes.

• Like 2