Thailand enters digital age! No more photocopies of Thai ID and House registration necessary

webfact

On 10/13/2021 at 10:27 PM, MRToMRT said:

I always wondered where these files and copies were stored, if at all. 

So what does the decision mean? Does it mean theres an online system or copies are no longer need to be seen/stored? I am confused.

Oh, yes they keep it... I went in a few months later and they had to retrieve paperwork and they were in bundles by date (they actually were able to identify the specific bundle fairly quickly).  I don't know if they were interim (i.e. scanning), or were delivered in bulk to storage.  It is not just government, it is the banks and any large institution.  I know my home bank was ahead of times technologically - but they had done away with bank books and required paper slips years ahead of others (but the others have caught up).  [if a slip is needed it does not need to be filled in, just printed - handed to you and signed (for cash)].

• Like 1

21 hours ago, timberpond said:

Now I have to spend a whole morning in Chaeng Wattana for arrival stamp transfer to new passport and a whole afternoon to transfer my Visa to new passport with a 2,000 baht fee. 

Visas cannot be transferred and can be used from an old passport... is it perhaps an Extension? I thought the transfer of that +entry stamp_ was free. (I ask as I expect to do it soon). 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Visas cannot be transferred and can be used from an old passport... is it perhaps an Extension? I thought the transfer of that +entry stamp_ was free. (I ask as I expect to do it soon). 

The entry stamp is free but the transfer of Visa fee is charge by the elite visa for service. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:17 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Photocopies make tremendous revenue at immigration, some charging 5  baht a copy !

I can't see that being stopped in a hurry. 

Indeed and how else can hundreds yes hundreds of photos of us hansum men be spread randomly so effortlessly to eager ladies than have them recycled in every of many government depts I have visited down the years..

Handily Immi uses photo page and nationality etc so avid readers may compare pension rates/age available by race, comparing hansum Nordic Viking or US /Ozzie pensioner, well endowed Mr Frog or Herr Wurstshortz  from impoverished UK beggars as "targets"(Tho I often think the sox and sandals "look" is a bit of a giveaway!

Note to self sell shares in fotocopy industry

On 10/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm going for the marriage extension renewal next week. I'll have the bank letter dated that day, but do I need the passbook updated as well? If so why, when it has the same info as the letter. I normally never update the book because if it fills up the bank tells me I have to make a 1600km round trip to my branch in Bangkok to renew it. And I can't move the account or open a new one with them because I have no work permit.

Doesn't sound right mate. I have my account with the Pattaya branch of the yellow bank. Now I live in Korat, and I'm on retirement and don't have a WP. Last July when I got my bank statement for Imm at the Korat branch of the yellow bank I had no problems, they made up the statement, updated my bankbook, the book was filled due to all the monthly interest updates, so they made up a new bankbook for me. It's still for the Pattaya branch acc, but Korat issued the new book. 

12 minutes ago, grain said:

Doesn't sound right mate. I have my account with the Pattaya branch of the yellow bank. Now I live in Korat, and I'm on retirement and don't have a WP. Last July when I got my bank statement for Imm at the Korat branch of the yellow bank I had no problems, they made up the statement, updated my bankbook, the book was filled due to all the monthly interest updates, so they made up a new bankbook for me. It's still for the Pattaya branch acc, but Korat issued the new book. 

As we know, every branch and every employee make up their own rules. When the time comes and if I get a 'no' again I'll ask for the manager.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As we know, every branch and every employee make up their own rules. When the time comes and if I get a 'no' again I'll ask for the manager.

I think a lot of it is laziness. TGF I had years ago in HatYai went to the bank to get a statement and she was told to go to her branch, which was in Nonthaburi. Being a TG she just accepted that. When she came home and told me I went with her to the bank and got hold of the manager. She got her statement half an hour later. Just some jerk was too lazy to deal with her. 

Edited by grain
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, grain said:

I think a lot of it is laziness. TGF I had years ago in HatYai went to the bank to get a statement and she was told to go to her branch, which was in Nonthaburi. Being a TG she just accepted that. When she came home and told me I went with her to the bank and got hold of the manager. She got her statement half an hour later. Just some jerk was too lazy to deal with her. 

Best move to get some action is tell them you need an updated the account as you are going  to close it and transfer it to another bank, usually gets some immediate action,  particularly if it's a reasonable amount of money.

Friend of mine recently had an issue with his bank, they were screwing him on the exchange rate for money coming from overseas - so went virtually next door to another bank, discussed opening an account with them and the reason why he was going to change banks - the assistant manager accompanied him back to the other bank and helped close the account. 

The customer is always right, especially if it's your money. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, fangless said:

How many times have we heard this? 

Also it only applies to Government agencies not every other tin pot bureaucrat/office.

The other pertinent detail is -- this announcement is from the DPA and relates to Thai ID card and tabien ban photocopies.

So it has very little likely impact on most farangs, who generally don't possess Thai ID cards that supposedly no longer need to be photocopied.

DPA, for example, has absolutely zero to do with Thai Immigration's rules or the mountains of paperwork that Thai banks require from accountholders, especially farangs.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:13 PM, MadMuhammad said:

It’s always a lottery as to whose passport details are printed on the back of the documents I receive from immigration. 
looks to me that they’re used as ‘scrap’ paper and recirculated 

Anyone who thinks that IO CARES about safeguarding your passport details, is delusional. The situation you mention has outraged me for years. I certainly don't want copies of my passport ending up in someone else's hands.  No possible remedy for this, either. Mention it to Immigration and there could be reprisals.

9 hours ago, Nickelbeer said:

Anyone who thinks that IO CARES about safeguarding your passport details, is delusional. The situation you mention has outraged me for years. I certainly don't want copies of my passport ending up in someone else's hands.  No possible remedy for this, either. Mention it to Immigration and there could be reprisals.

Agreed. Mildly frustrating but very concerning at the same time. 
I had politely questioned it the first few times it happened many moons ago, only to be met with blank stares or looks of annoyance. Obviously I’m the problem ????

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I've never heard, in all my years here, of anyone who's personal details have been copied from an immigration waste bin and used in a criminal act. Falang tink to mut.

Just because you’ve never heard of it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. Just recently there has been huge data breaches here, and details aren’t necessarily used immediately. Once they’re out there in unscrupulous hands there’s no deleting them again. 

On 10/14/2021 at 6:42 PM, Neeranam said:

All countries' national anthems are like that. You are paranoid. 

Really ?

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by sea
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty, rich and rare
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair!
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share

With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair
Advance Australia fair!
Our home is girt by sea
Of beauty, rich and rare
Advance Australia fair!
Advance Australia fair!

50 minutes ago, ozbanglamung said:

Really ?

Our home is girt by sea
Of beauty, rich and rare
Advance Australia fair!
Advance Australia fair!
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share

With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair
Advance Australia fair!
Our home is girt by sea
Of beauty, rich and rare
Advance Australia fair!
Advance Australia fair!

How on Earth could Australia talk about their land like other countries? They stole it, remember, from the indigenous people. It is not theirs to share. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How on Earth could Australia talk about their land like other countries? They stole it, remember, from the indigenous people. It is not theirs to share. 

Much the same as the USA and many other ex colonial countries. The way things are going on in Britain it is being colonised itself. But then it was built on incoming ethnic groups since time immemorial????  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Neeranam said:

Most ALL countries are "stolen" to some extent. Deeds and titles are fairly recent things. I came, I conquered and political correctness vilified me for it. ????

• Like 2