Holiday/Golf in Chiang Mai Area

JAS21

For anyone who may want to have a few days golfing in Chiang Mai before, I guess, prices will rise on Nov 1st. We are up there for two weeks.  BUT maybe not such a great idea as seems now that there is an outbreak of Cov19. Golf prices are all in pp  and hotels prices include breakfast

On the way up stopped the night in Phitsanulok at D11 800thb

Went to Sirikit Dam as that is a nice course ... should have realised when only charged 700thb. What a mess the fairways and greens are ... gave up after seven holes. Caddy said many do the same!!

So went to Chiang Mai Highlands. 3300 for two night package, also have a one night package with lunch or dinner for 2100.  Golf 1400 before 1pm and 990 after. Fairways on course A a little wet in places but B and C fine. Very lovely course to play.

North Hill 1400 before 1pm and 990 after. After starting the 2nd nine remembered why I said a few years ago that I'd never go there again...Even MrsJ lost a couple of balls (well that was what she would admit to!). A lot of water especially before, after and all around the greens.

Then based ourselves at Shangri la...seemed a bit over the top but just incase we couldn't play golf due to the weather ...  the staycation package was 2980 BUT they gave 1000 credit for meals each day. Somewhat fortunate due to the outbreak as spent a lot of time in the hotel when not playing golf..

Alpine is 1500 but 900 on Wednesday which is sports day. Still to play

Mai jo  is 1500 if two playing but only 1000 if three playing. Still to play

Summit Green Valley is 1300 before 2pm and 1000 after and can play at night. Still to play

Gassan Khutan is only 720 to stay (from 1200) as MrsJ will use the government scheme. Golf is 800 on a week day. Not there yet. Think MrsJ is playing some ladies comp there on 26th.

Still planning to go to Bhunibol Dam on the way home.    

• Like 1

don't waste your time at Bhumibol Dam course. You'll most likely walk off of there too. If you want to try a reasonably good, inexpensive 9 hole course, check out Harapunchai G C in Lamphun.

Also, ALL the golf courses up here have water everywhere, so be prepared to lose lots of golf balls over the course of your stay.

Also if you are a Thai resident, viz. a long term expat, and have proof of that with you, you should only pay Thai rates not foreigner rates in CM & Lamphun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Gassan Legacy is one of the best course in the area.  Price has been 900 bt, sometimes 750 bt on the weekends (all inclusive).  But come 1 Nov, who knows.

those rates are for Thais and Thai residents only. They are not for foreigners who are tourists. 

6 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Check out Arthitaya. In Lamphun Province, but only 40 minutes from CM. 600 baht includes green fee, caddy, cart. 

What does "pp" mean? 

Per person

Thanks for Arthitaya… will look see. Will probably not go to Tak now as look like they have ‘some extra water’

Just got back from Alpine, played B and C… OK but prefer Chiang Mai Highlands. The plus at Alpine was that the buggy could go on the fairway unlike CMH.

Summit Green Valley tomorrow is plan.

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

don't waste your time at Bhumibol Dam course. You'll most likely walk off of there too. If you want to try a reasonably good, inexpensive 9 hole course, check out Harapunchai G C in Lamphun.

Also, ALL the golf courses up here have water everywhere, so be prepared to lose lots of golf balls over the course of your stay.

Also if you are a Thai resident, viz. a long term expat, and have proof of that with you, you should only pay Thai rates not foreigner rates in CM & Lamphun.

Yes paying Thai Resident prices.. Harapunchai is a possibility… tks

21 hours ago, TigerandDog said:
On 10/20/2021 at 9:23 AM, Berkshire said:

Gassan Legacy is one of the best course in the area.  Price has been 900 bt, sometimes 750 bt on the weekends (all inclusive).  But come 1 Nov, who knows.

those rates are for Thais and Thai residents only. They are not for foreigners who are tourists. 

Correct.  Non-Thais would need to show a local ID to get this rate (e.g., Thailand driver's license).

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Correct.  Non-Thais would need to show a local ID to get this rate (e.g., Thailand driver's license).

some of courses up here won't accept a Thai drivers license anymore. It has to either be a pink ID card, a yellow book or your passport with an extension of stay stamped in it.

5 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

some of courses up here won't accept a Thai drivers license anymore. It has to either be a pink ID card, a yellow book or your passport with an extension of stay stamped in it.

Which ones, just out of interest…anyway have pink card etc.

Played Summit today. Liked it… tomorrow no golf but intend to go back there on Saturday as told Mai jo rough is a bit high.. that is true?

10 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Which ones, just out of interest…anyway have pink card etc.

Played Summit today. Liked it… tomorrow no golf but intend to go back there on Saturday as told Mai jo rough is a bit high.. that is true?

Mae Jo rough is ok, BUT a couple of their greens are in terrible condition. Why not give Royal Chiang Mai a try.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Mae Jo rough is ok, BUT a couple of their greens are in terrible condition. Why not give Royal Chiang Mai a try.

Thank you for that...... Royal Chiang Mai have a very good offer 1500thb in total for two players all in and each has a cart, so there tomorrow morning. Their accommodation is closed.

Then Sunday ... back to 'rough' plan ... Gassan Khutan and leave on Tuesday ... after MrsJ plays a ladies comp there ... and stay Artitaya (800 for room) and play next day and then HariPhunchai day after... then maybe head home...money gone!!!!!  

From what I read it seems Cov. is gaining momentum  so maybe have to hide away again for a while.

Hopefully back here next October ......

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, TigerandDog said:

Not sure which course you're talking about.  I have not played 1 course in Chiang Mai that would not accept a TH driver's license as resident ID.

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Thank you for that...... Royal Chiang Mai have a very good offer 1500thb in total for two players all in and each has a cart, so there tomorrow morning. Their accommodation is closed.

Then Sunday ... back to 'rough' plan ... Gassan Khutan and leave on Tuesday ... after MrsJ plays a ladies comp there ... and stay Artitaya (800 for room) and play next day and then HariPhunchai day after... then maybe head home...money gone!!!!!  

From what I read it seems Cov. is gaining momentum  so maybe have to hide away again for a while.

Hopefully back here next October ......

Legacy is 750 bt this weekend.  And it's in way better condition than Royal.

15 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Not sure which course you're talking about.  I have not played 1 course in Chiang Mai that would not accept a TH driver's license as resident ID.

Royal Chiang Mai actually has a sign up in the pro shop saying driver's license no longer accepted as proof of being a Thai resident, and Summit Green Valley wouldn't accept one either.

Edited by TigerandDog

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Royal Chiang Mai actually has a sign up in the pro shop saying driver's license no longer accepted as proof of being a Thai resident, and Summit Green Valley wouldn't accept one either.

Interesting.  I haven't played Royal in awhile, but Green Valley is still accepting as of a week ago.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Summit accepted my driving license … it actually has my pink card number on it and not my passport number…probably not the best thing I ever did!

Went to Royal Chiang Mai earlier … the course looked ok but quite wet so decided to give it a miss.

Looked at the accommodation … not impressed as quite old… so won’t ever be staying there in the future.

Gassan Khutan tomorrow… hope to play around lunchtime.

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Interesting.  I haven't played Royal in awhile, but Green Valley is still accepting as of a week ago.

they wouldn't accept mine 2 weeks ago, so had to show them my passport with the extension stamp as I didn't have my pink ID card with me. I guess like most things Thai, it depends on the individual you are dealing with at the time. 

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Summit accepted my driving license … it actually has my pink card number on it and not my passport number…probably not the best thing I ever did!

Went to Royal Chiang Mai earlier … the course looked ok but quite wet so decided to give it a miss.

Looked at the accommodation … not impressed as quite old… so won’t ever be staying there in the future.

Gassan Khutan tomorrow… hope to play around lunchtime.

the accommodation at RCM is old on the outside, but the rooms are quite spacious and not to bad to stay when it's open, which it isn't at the moment.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:12 PM, TigerandDog said:

Can you name the courses in chiang mai that request those items? Most courses up here are more than happy to take your money and not even ask for anything these days. 

1 minute ago, Tonypandy said:

Can you name the courses in chiang mai that request those items? Most courses up here are more than happy to take your money and not even ask for anything these days. 

I've played every course in CM except Gymkhana, and I play with a golf society, and every course wants to see proof that I'm a resident and not a tourist. As for the courses that wouldn't accept my Thai driver's license, I named them in an earlier post.

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

the accommodation at RCM is old on the outside, but the rooms are quite spacious and not to bad to stay when it's open, which it isn't at the moment.

Well we actually looked at two different rooms, just in case for the future. Suite is quite spacious but for me not too good. The place really is dated.

TBH I wouldn't stay at the Shangri la again either. Room was good, bed nice, staff very helpful. The buffet breakfast was better some days than others, but the restaurant let the place down. And our daily 1000thb credit was swallowed up with one green curry and one duck curry . Tried their burger and chips one day... if you are ever there give that a miss! Went to the Duke's for lunch ... now that was good and at a very reasonable price.   

Actually just used the rest of our credit on what the restaurant called Angus Rib Eye ... TBH it was far better that I expected and cooked exactly as i had asked. Could recommend that. MrJ didn't attend as she was still full from lunch ....

5 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I've played every course in CM except Gymkhana, and I play with a golf society, and every course wants to see proof that I'm a resident and not a tourist. As for the courses that wouldn't accept my Thai driver's license, I named them in an earlier post.

This month I have played at Panorama, Khuntan, Attatya, Alpine, North Hill, Hangdong, and I was not asked for any form of ID. Just pay the Thai and Thai residents rate. Its been this way since the start of Covid, Golf clubs need the money to survive. 

Played Khutan earlier… really like the course… only 900thb today and 800thb tomorrow. Only here for two nights at present as full on 26th. Might come back though.

Food was vary fairly priced and tasty… and MrsJ get 40% off that price… some government scheme.  Sitting outside the restaurant what lovely views.

• 5 months later...

Here is an update as we are there now.

Gassan Legacy ….. Normal all in price is 1000thb.

On Monday and Wednesday there is a 150thb discount.

On Tuesday and Thursday there is a 150thb discount if over 55 years old.

With every all in purchase you are given 4. 25thb vouchers. Can be used for food, cloths, golf balls etc use one voucher every 125thb spend. Limit of two vouchers on golf ball purchase.

As I understand these offers are at least until 15th April BUT you can buy 5 vouchers for 4500thb and use them after that date.

Room stay with breakfast is 800thb. Big room and swimming pool is in service.

Went to Gassan Khutan today… very disappointing, course dry and greens very slow.

Legacy is in very good condition, greens are ‘rapid’!   So we will also stay here next weekinstead of moving to Khutan as planned.

23 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Here is an update as we are there now.

Gassan Legacy ….. Normal all in price is 1000thb.

On Monday and Wednesday there is a 150thb discount.

On Tuesday and Thursday there is a 150thb discount if over 55 years old.

With every all in purchase you are given 4. 25thb vouchers. Can be used for food, cloths, golf balls etc use one voucher every 125thb spend. Limit of two vouchers on golf ball purchase.

As I understand these offers are at least until 15th April BUT you can buy 5 vouchers for 4500thb and use them after that date.

Room stay with breakfast is 800thb. Big room and swimming pool is in service.

Went to Gassan Khutan today… very disappointing, course dry and greens very slow.

Legacy is in very good condition, greens are ‘rapid’!   So we will also stay here next weekinstead of moving to Khutan as planned.

Panorama not open?

37 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Panorama not open?

Yes- we will play there tomorrow. Caddies from Legacy can caddie there  so we will follow them … been told it is 100thb cheaper…..Will know tomorrow

On 3/31/2022 at 6:58 PM, JAS21 said:

Yes- we will play there tomorrow. Caddies from Legacy can caddie there  so we will follow them … been told it is 100thb cheaper…..Will know tomorrow

Can’t keep up with the price changes … today Legacy 1000 and Panorama 900. Tomorrow and Sunday Legacy 850 and Panorama 750.

Panorama also in good condition… it has huge greens…set today  at 10.2 caddie said.