More private schools in Thailand to close due to pandemic related cashflow problems

snoop1130

3 hours ago, arick said:

I am tutoring a girl Phyics IGCSE she had no clue of even what  exam board she was taking at her school! This school is charging 900,000 a year  tuition. 

Must be one of the American International schools.

900 k is heavy but I pay over 700k too.

47 minutes ago, CosmicSurfer said:

"Private" and "International" schools are 2 completely different Systems... "Private" is usually 100% Thai..  Middle Class and Upper Middle Class... "International" are where expense account Expats send their kids, and is much more expensive than the Private Schools!! 

Hi-So Thai kids go to school abroad!! 

CS

Wrong.

At my daughter's school, there are plenty of Hi-So Thai children who stay until finishing their IGCSE or IB before going abroad to study.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

People will never pay for something they are not getting. It was always going to happen, I've been predicting this for months. I do not think this is monetary loss causing this, but refusal to pay for something their kids are not getting.

Agreed. In our area the regular school fees of 53,000THB per term were not dropped for the entire period of home schooling. Parents were expected to pay this to secure exam results and passes through next term. They did so and then promptly removed their kids from the school. Sad. Big school and lots of interaction of kids. Now it's home schooling at a quarter the fees or less with another provider.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1

All the while the government prioritises the defence budget as No 1 education will always suffer - losing some private schools will just affect the rich Thais and so they must take a long look at themselves and what system they want running this country - an elitest system for the few or a comprehensive public education system that trains teacher to teach and supplies education to all

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Best school in the country.

Exactly. School fees are very high and experienced and qualified teachers make 250k+ a month, but we are worth it and money is accounted for. Furthermore, as a teacher I can send my kids here for FREE.

From the article...

Although private schools have eased the financial burden on thestate, estimated at about six billion baht annually, he complained that many people have a misconception about private schools, accusing them of being business-orientated and focussed solely on making profits.

Private schools are business, and therefore the goal is to make money.

A real problem might well be online tuition. which for several reasons is not worth the school fees; some private schools are relative expensive. I fully understand parents that saves their money until normal conditions re-appear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MarcelV said:

I teach at a very prestigious private school and we have been having online classes since May. I'm not worried about the school closing down for good. The school has been in business too long to forfeit. The fallout would be unthinkable.

You should be worried. There are very few businesses that are too big to fail.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andygrr said:

I hope you teach Physics better than you spell it or is Phyics a new subject.

Sigh. Another grammar nasty with nothing better to do. 

Have YOU never made any typo errors?

It is a simple typo and nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CosmicSurfer said:

"Private" and "International" schools are 2 completely different Systems... "Private" is usually 100% Thai..  Middle Class and Upper Middle Class... "International" are where expense account Expats send their kids, and is much more expensive than the Private Schools!! 

Hi-So Thai kids go to school abroad!! 

CS

It might be depending on where you live in the nation.

Where I live the hi-so thais - and there are relative many of them - sends their children to a local private school with English program for the primary years, i.e. kindergarten to P6, and then to a selected "right" private schools in mainly the Bangkok area; some boys would be send to a military school for potential career options.

The better, and also more expensive, private Thai school with bi-lingual program - the school has English language and other subjects on Cambridge level with native English speaking teachers, and furthermore tuition in Chinese language - has about half fully Thai children, and the other half is children from mixed marriage plus a few with foreign parents. Most of the children from the mixed or foreign parents continue in international schools after P6, either domestic or abroad, while most Thai children are send to boarding schools in mainly Bangkok area.

In the later few years a number of better off Thais began to send their children to the international schools for better later education options, which might include finishing Cambridge A-level or IB in a boarding high school abroad. or some of the excellent, but also quite expensive, international schools in Bangkok. However the majority in the international schools in my area are children from mixed marriage or foreign parents.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fangless said:

It goes without saying that the biggest losers will be the kids themselves, not the fat cats "running" the schools!

No, not really. It depends on the family. My children are doing great, but my wife and I have a huge burden on our time now. Sure, some parents are not involved and the children are largely neglected. Remember also that schools are not just school owners, but teachers, staff... 

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, sherwood said:

By the look of things my daughter is learning all she needs to know about living in Thailand under this sham of an administration.

244380148_4360381457408734_2102911450614739769_n.jpg

I am in the exact same situation.  My wife and step daughter have gone back to the village.  Better off there than here in town, with no school to go to.

2 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Exactly. School fees are very high and experienced and qualified teachers make 250k+ a month, but we are worth it and money is accounted for. Furthermore, as a teacher I can send my kids here for FREE.

You have a high opinion of yourself and your fellow teachers at this 'prestigious' school, I hope you are worth it.  By the way, you mean your kids can now be taught online for free?  Don't you agree that interaction between children at school is a very important part of education?  The children are not getting that, so why are the fees not being reduced in many of these schools?

Edited by mikosan
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mikosan said:

You have a high opinion of yourself and your fellow teachers at this 'prestigious' school, I hope you are worth it.  By the way, you mean your kids can now be taught online for free?  Don't you agree that interaction between children at school is a very important part of education?  The children are not getting that, so why are the fees not being reduced in many of these schools?

Yes, I do agree that there's nothing better than face-to-face contact between teachers and students. Perhaps student fees should be reduced somewhat.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fangless said:

It goes without saying that the biggest losers will be the kids themselves, not the fat cats "running" the schools!

And yet, a bit more understanding would show that there are few "fat cats" in education and schools. Mainly, it's people who have a love of teaching and knowledge.

1 minute ago, cape said:

And yet, a bit more understanding would show that there are few "fat cats" in education and schools. Mainly, it's people who have a love of teaching and knowledge.

A lot of the Teachers Yes. a Lot of the Bosses no!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khunyod said:

My children are doing great, but my wife and I have a huge burden on our time now.

So are you saying that you consider teaching your children to be a burden to you and your wife?

10 hours ago, Mike KIWI said:

My daughter is at a private school in Nang Rong. They did not refund the fees i had paid when they closed due to the deadly pandemic.  I complained about not getting my money back but in retrospect they can keep the money as long as they open back up next month. I cant imagine having to send her to a govt school.

Has she been learning online with the school since it closed? It so, that is the normal operation of schools during the pandemic. The refunds at my school have been minimal - they kids are mainly missing out on activities and formal assessment as they cannot attend school.  

9 hours ago, dutchweller said:

I pulled my son from his school when they decided they were going online zoom classes every 2nd day for 1 -2 hours and provided "education packs" that parents were expected to teach kids with 3 hours a day..

But still charged full term fees..

That's a bit rough. We are giving 5-6 periods online each day, which is hard on parents with young kids. Some schools are doign a full 8 period schedule online each day. How much of music or PE you can do online escapes me lol. 

The schools that I am associated with have had some financial problems.  At one point, the salary of teachers was reduced.  The agreement was that once the school was in better shape, it would be paid. 

There are fewer parents willing to pay for either no class or online classes.  Some parents have withdrawn their children and some have demanded (and gotten) fees lowered.  

Another factor to consider is that a fair amount of money is made on the sale of food/drink, books, uniforms, bus services and a host of other services.  A lot of schools have after-school tutorials in which the teacher and school get a portion of the special tuition.  

• Like 2