Anyone notice grocery prices going up here lately?

Kenny202

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

waiting for the tax reduction on wines spirits, when is that meant to happen?

I have given up on that supposed price reduction on wines, and now I'm just about to celebrate my 74th birthday, I decided to treat myself from here on in and buy only good quality wine, with just the occasional swigger thrown in!!!

After all the saying is, "life is too short to drink bad wine".

On another subject mentioned above somewhere, my local Makro here in Patong does have promotions on Aussie tenderloin beef (Harveys) and it is exceedingly cheap (and delicious), and I've also found that the Thai/French minced beef is great for chili con carne and similar.

Harvey Beef.from HarveyWA. Did you know owned now by mining magnate Twiggy Forest.Great meat! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know if you can get it up your way, but there is a Thai/French place in Sakon Nakhon that sends their meat around the country and it is right up there with Australian meat in my opinion, as for the price last I checked it was pretty much on par with Oz as well.

Betagro Pork chops in Big C are really good if you can get them, if I can't get them there, I go to Betagro or Lotus.

Those Betagrow chops are excellent. They had the Betagrow select meat in Tesco before CP took over. Always more expensive but so nice and tender. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Goodonya.

The name of the place is Pon Yang Kham, you can Google it or type their name into your Facebook search engine and it will take you to them.

I may be wrong but I didn't thin Pon Yang Kham is a company or place, it's a Thai term for French Thai beef and I think there are many suppliers in Nakhon Sawan. My Mrs uses beef in her restaurants and the few times she checked it was far more expensive than the Aussie beef we are getting in Makro, which isn't A grade admittedly but pretty damn good for the price particularly for beef mince. Anyway I will give her this number to try as I am sure that Harvey Beef in Makro isn't going to be available forever, not at current prices anyway. From memory there was an issue with their delivery as well, we would have had to pick it up from the bus station. Was a while ago so worth checking again. I have bought Aussie rib fillet for 300 to 500 baht and sometimes eye fillet even cheaper. The cheaper cuts you can mince still under 300 baht for a whole piece.  

• Thanks 1

I suggest the OP should expand his shopping experience beyond Tesco-Lotus. From my seven plus years of shopping in Mueang Surin at Big C, Tesco, Makro and Tops,

I find that Big C generally has lower prices on meat, vegetables and other food products than Tesco and somethings are comparable to Makro. 

Makro generally has lower prices on bulk or pre-packaged produce, meats and some dairy products, plus they stock items the other three don't have.

Tops Market has higher prices on most of their produce, meat and frozen foods, but does offer stock unavailable at the other stores.

Yesterday, I shopped at Big C and some of the things I bought were cabbage, potatoes and onions each priced 39 baht kg. Large imported tomatoes for 75 baht kg. (Tops price 145 kg)  30ct eggs on sale 87 baht. Two rotisserie cooked chickens 99 baht each. 

Rising prices are inevitable, but higher prices haven't forced me to reduce my spending for products that I prefer. 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, BritManToo said:

15Kg gas has reduced from 400bht to 365bht this month.

I've not really noticed anything going up in price.

75" LG TV is down from 40kbht to 35kbht.

Yes, non-essentials are on sale.....

Food, shelter, etc, is not.

Sleight of hand.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:01 AM, internationalism said:

get to makro for half price (or even less) expiring vegies and fruits (other supermarkets have less of those special offers). 

They have also catering size around 5kg bags.

Also check on their makroclick website for frozen.

Investing in a large fridge-freezer will pay back within a year. Get your produce at season at rock bottom price to last you for months

Thanks.  I followed your advice.

5C1D9385-D384-444B-8324-F2D3BE7665EB_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Haha 1

The ponzi fiat based system is coming to ad end. Before that central bankers will print endless amount of currency will devalue it until 0 to make sure you stay poor and dependent to them all your life.

Hey but don't worry..buy Bitcoin and get out from this ponzi.

• Sad 2

Yes. Totally. Happening for at least 3 years now.

There was a long thread about inflation arriving months back. Many big name posters scoffed and said no evidence despite it being under their noses.

Waiting for Thailand to inflate money supply....boom!

• Like 1

What I do notice is that I was able to extend my rental lease this month without the landlord's even asking for any increase.  In fact, we pay a lower rent now for a bigger apartment than we did ten years ago for a smaller unit in the same building.

So, groceries are chickenfeed, relatively speaking.

3 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

There was a long thread about inflation arriving months back. Many big name posters scoffed and said no evidence despite it being under their noses.

Sorry to disagree with you but,

HP Sauce, Typhoo Tea, Robertson's Mincemeat, and other imported foods have never been cheaper in Thailand. Pepsi is down from 40bht to 32bht for a 2 litre bottle in BigC.

About the only item I'm finding more expensive recently is cooking oil.

I think rising food prices in Thailand is more to do with CP taking over all the supermarkets.

If you don't shop at supermarkets, you won't see many price changes.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry to disagree with you but,

HP Sauce, Typhoo Tea, Robertson's Mincemeat, and other imported foods have never been cheaper in Thailand. Pepsi is down from 40bht to 32bht for a 2 litre bottle in BigC.

About the only item I'm finding more expensive recently is cooking oil.

I think rising food prices in Thailand is more to do with CP taking over all the supermarkets.

If you don't shop at supermarkets, you won't see many price changes.

Where is HP sauce available in shops other than supermarkets ?

I noticed that HP sauce is now 160 Baht in Tops , up from 120 Baht when I last looked 

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

What I do notice is that I was able to extend my rental lease this month without the landlord's even asking for any increase.  In fact, we pay a lower rent now for a bigger apartment than we did ten years ago for a smaller unit in the same building.

That is due to supply and demand and the fact that due to Covid, there are much more properties available than people wanting to rent . 

Nah, just buying what I need all the time. No problem! I thought that was how it is supposed to be when you move to a foreign country. If you have to complain about such trivial things, you did not have a solid enough economy to move.

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

170 Baht now at Lazada , used to be 120 Baht in Tops supermarket a few months ago  . 

Sorry, I originally made a link to the small bottle 285gm which is the same price as the big bottle 600gm ..........

255gm 109bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/the-original-hp-sauce-255g-255-i1410696227-s3621406988.html

600gm 189bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/the-original-hp-brown-sauce-600g-600-i2875213595-s10495229530.html

And an extra 7% discount if you spend 700bht.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, cmarshall said:

My contracts end on 31st October and on 01st/10, I made a much lower offer to the landlord via my agent.

Accept it or I move on.

Was accepted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Yes. Totally. Happening for at least 3 years now.

Waiting for Thailand to inflate money supply....boom!

I have been waiting 15 years.........................................

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the big bottle (600 gms) is now 210 Baht , 

Still 189bht on my Lazada page, just ordered 4x 600gm for a total of 738bht COD. 

(inc delivery and 7% discount)

Typhoo Tea 1 cup now down to 95bht for 100 bags.

Also cheapest ever (and good for 2 cups).

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, BritManToo said:

Still 189bht on my Lazada page, just ordered 4x 600gm for a total of 738bht COD. 

Add on the 22 Baht  postage to bring the total to 211 Baht for a 600 gm bottle of HP sauce . 

Lets hope that the delivery is quicker than you are , otherwise the sauce will be off when it arrives 

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Add on the 22 Baht  postage to bring the total to 211 Baht for a 600 gm bottle of HP sauce . 

Lets hope that the delivery is quicker than you are , otherwise the sauce will be off when it arrives 

I paid 184bht/bottle inc delivery.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:06 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, and I would assume it's pre packed from Oz. The brand is CAG 100% Australian Beef, best I have had in a long time.

What I have found with Makro is that the only have limited amounts of Oz beef, but bucket loads of Thai beef, so I would imagine they try to push their product which I wouldn't give to a dog, if I had one.

My wife gave me beef the other night I asked where was it from , she said Lotus. Not the answer I was looking for.  Anyway it had good texture , cut easily , no fat but tasted of nothing. Now this could be caused by my advancing years .  In the mid last century Sunday dinner was a joy , roast beef , roast pots. cauliflower etc. follwed by treacle tart and custard.  Oh oh I made treacle tart over here but used caramel . Close but not close enough.

• Like 1