'Thailand Pass' Ready to Welcome Visitors on Nov 1

webfact

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

About time and a move in the right direction, now that the idea seems to work on paper, let's hope that it also will in practice with very little hiccups and minor adjustments...

????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Inbound foreigners and Thais can apply for “Thailand Pass” at  tp.consular.go.th  before their trips and wait 1-3 days for approval which will depend on their vaccination certificates"

They will probably have Embassy or consulate staff checking the "Thailand Pass" applications, then download a QR code then get tested so it could possibly take the best part of 5 days, much the same as a COE took!

Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

20 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

If a passenger tests negative when he gets on the plane, why does he require a test when he gets off? Makes no sense

Ah but as the head of the department of illhealth here in TIT will be thinking think that Thai tests are to be trusted - dirty foreigner (never shower) tests are not. I suppose from some countries he may have a fair point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradise Pete said:

It takes days for an infection to progress to the point of being detectable by the test.

It's a trade-off between how much testing to require and the inconvenience/cost. To maximize safety they could require another test several days after arrival, which would detect an infection that occurred during travel.. To maximize convenience they could require no testing at all. There's no "correct" answer and this is what they've settled on.

SPOT ON !!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

If a passenger tests negative when he gets on the plane, why does he require a test when he gets off? Makes no sense

In Sweden one company got caught not sending the samples to a laboratory for testing.

They just pocketed the money and wrote certificates.

Makes me think of my PCR test before I left, I just spit in a test tube and got my certificate 12h later.

1 hour ago, Paradise Pete said:

It takes days for an infection to progress to the point of being detectable by the test.

It's a trade-off between how much testing to require and the inconvenience/cost. To maximize safety they could require another test several days after arrival, which would detect an infection that occurred during travel.. To maximize convenience they could require no testing at all. There's no "correct" answer and this is what they've settled on.

They could vaccinate the people in Thailand thus reducing the need for such strict testing of fully-vaccinated arrivals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Lots of reasons....  How does the Thai government know an overseas test has been carried out correctly.

Example: I order a PCR test kid. I pick it up. Self administer the test. Drop it of at a collection point, receive the result the following day..... How do they know I tested myself ? how do they know I swabbed correctly etc ??

It makes perfect sense that a Pre-flight test protects others on the flight and an arrival test confirms before release. 

The other facet is that someone can contract Covid-19 and not test positive for it for a couple of days: Thus someone could contract Covid-19 2-5 days before their flight but not test positive at the pre-flight PCR test but test positive on the arrival in Thailand (hotel) test. 

A Pre-Departure and Post Arrival is always going to provide more assurance. 

15 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

They could vaccinate the people in Thailand thus reducing the need for such strict testing of fully-vaccinated arrivals.

Thats ultimately where it may end up.. but for now, not many are vaccinated. 

I envisage that once the vast proportion of Thailand is vaccinated the Pre-Travel PCR test may be acceptable along with an arrival PCR test taken anywhere, or even just an ATK test. 

Ultimately, Thailand has to trust arrivals to travel responsibly and take an Antigen test on arrival and self isolate if positive or they have symptoms. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

To which I will answer, even though it does not prevent the communication of the disease, why all this fuss about getting vaccinated, which in some countries has become mandatory. 

LOL. So, the "Thailand Pass" website will 'welcome' the tourists to cyberspace?

Even there it is mentioned, twice or thrice, that one should register at least 7 days in advance, meaning that tourists who do this won't arrive in Thailand until the second week of November.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No.. you’ve dumbed it down and simplified it to make an immature and sarcastic poke at Thailand. 

PCR testing on arrival is the right thing to do because overseas tests cannot be verified, ultimately they are just a piece of paper which can be faked. 

While Thailand can be criticised for many things, the requirement for 1 night Quarantine until the results of a PCR test are issued is a very sensible measure.  

Very, true. I have heard cases of people photoshopping results of previous tests.

This will keep people honest and at the very least confirm you are negative before you get on a plane and possibly get quarantined on arrival.

Edited by hioctane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No.. you’ve dumbed it down and simplified it to make an immature and sarcastic poke at Thailand. 

PCR testing on arrival is the right thing to do because overseas tests cannot be verified, ultimately they are just a piece of paper which can be faked. 

While Thailand can be criticised for many things, the requirement for 1 night Quarantine until the results of a PCR test are issued is a very sensible measure.  

Not everyone thinks Thailand tests are reliable. I left Thailand on Singapore airline last month and my Thailand vaccine certification was ok. But now to return the same airline will no longer accept that same certification and insisted on a certification fron the USA in order to board a plane back to Thailand  so I had to get another vaccine or change airlines.

...together with the results of their COVID-19 tests conducted no longer than 72 hours before their flights, the spokesman said.

So is it 72hr before the flight or 72hr before entering the country?  I've heard the latter from some people. When some itineraries can be more than 24-48hrs, distinctions like that matter. 

That could easily be one of those things some low level immigration person could interpret different/wrong and ruin your day.  The only safe bet imo would be to try get it the day before, but then you don't get the results till the day of your flight, which is cutting it close.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Makes sense to me.  Seems some are not keeping track of what has been going on over the past 18 months.  People have come after testing negative prior to boarding, then testing positive on arrival.  72 hour window and a flight is a long time you can get infected.   A good policy to test on arrival.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Makes sense to me.  Seems some are not keeping track of what has been going on over the past 18 months.  People have come after testing negative prior to boarding, then testing positive on arrival.  72 hour window and a flight is a long time you can get infected.   A good policy to test on arrival.

The general false positive rate for the PCR tests for Covid is 0.6%. The reports positive rate for people entering the Phuket sandbox scheme is surprisingly 0.17%! Someone could interpret that to mean that most, or all, of those positive results were false. If that were true, then the testing before flight was effective at screening out infected people.