Clear As Mud

Ty Hareways

4 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

I honestly don't know why i still call the thai embassy in London as they are worse than useless (in my experiences anyway).

I'm trying to find out what my 'punishment' would be if i test 'positive' on arrival, would it be hospital or quarantine hotel and for how long, it may take longer than 14 days to get a negative result by the way.

Nobody at all seems to know, when nobody tells you anything alarm bells should ring!!

Thats most definitely a question too far - I would never expect any Embassy Staffers to know this as there is no official policy. This is one of those issues which is typically handled by Thailand in a ‘kick the can down the road’ type of manner whereby no one wants to address the issue until it happens. 

I suspect:

IF you have serious symptoms you will be hospitalised - insurance covers.

IF you have mild symptoms you will be sent to a hospitel (hotel-hospital) - Insurance covers ??

IF you test positive with no symptoms you will have to isolate in your hotel until you test negative - Insurance covers ?

But - there is no hardline official information. You may get a better response from the actual AQ hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes, for positives 14 day quarantine - you know it very well. Everybody knows it. At hospital or rather hospitel (hotel with medical personel and some equipment). It won't AQ hotel.

Some patients were released after 7 days when turned negatives - that is at discretion of doctor.

You can test daily with atk's, when they turn negative you can ask for pcr

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1

Why would the workers at the embassy know? They have nothing to do with it, that's up to the health authorities in Thailand.

You will be put into quarantine, where depends on hospital capacities and severity of symptoms. You will be put there at least until you test negative.

• Like 2

Your time and inconvenience is but sansara to them.

Unless your pilot is sealed in your Lear Jet no one can control fellow travelelrs, First Busines or at the back with teh sardnes and " Budget travellers" its the same recycled air .

If cost is a concern ensure fne print of you

rpolicy cover asymptomaic costs ?

Once in with an address you may be able to insure locally , hardly a welcome mat for tourists.

One good aspect is yachtsme can isolate and in the months transit from Seychelles know you wont have caight it en route

27 minutes ago, flinc2020 said:

... either test positive on arrival, or worse still, have been sat near someone on the flight who tested positive and find the money they shelled out for a hotel is wasted because the government has shoved them in a hospitel that their insurance may not cover as they themselves hav tested negative for Covid. 

Only one person to blame in that position.

Almost 2 years into this, if someone doesn't do their due diligence (ensure the hotel will reimburse if positive - as per government guidelines, and ensure their insurance policy covers the eventuality) then that's on them.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why would the workers at the embassy know? They have nothing to do with it, that's up to the health authorities in Thailand.

You will be put into quarantine, where depends on hospital capacities and severity of symptoms. You will be put there at least until you test negative.

Because, were it to be a properly organised setup, the Govt dept in Thailand would have informed the embassies before releasing the news to the general public.

That this is not the case is presumably because...TIT

• Like 1

My father was planning on coming to LOS in November. Due to the confusion surrounding the subject of the OP, he asked a reputable travel agency and was advised that a failed PCR test would result in him being transferred to hospital at cost to his insurance.

They also advised that there was no apparent way to verify the result of the test independently, therefore avoid any travel to Thailand at this time.

Reading between the lines, travel agencies are viewing this a potential scam. they'll put you on a flight but, once you hit Swampy, you're on your own.

• Like 2

not so, you can do daily atk's (bring your own, the most reliable you can get) and if they turn negative you can ask hospital for their own atk and then pcr, so they would release earlier.

All tests have error margin. For pcr it's 0.6. Properly done atk are more reliable.

Also worth to look into antibody test, which might explain positive pcr result.

If there was recent infection or strong reaction after vax, it might turn positive.

I think it's too far fetched to call it test scam. 

I will look into motives of this agency - maybe they don't have any packages to thailand, so they were trying to turn away.

It's absolutely everywhere in the world, if test positive, there is quarantine or self isolation. Thailand turns it hospitalisation, for a reason. That was being done from the very beginning of the 1st wave  

You asked a hypothetical question and expected a definitive answer, the embassy did right, how can they speak as to what those on the ground will do when you arrive in country without knowing the degree of your imaginary infection?  Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

This is the land where being flexible is the best way to go, have the correct aura and things go smooth, have the wrong aura and you're swimming up stream. 

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, Ty Hareways said:

Nobody at all seems to know, when nobody tells you anything alarm bells should ring!!

One would assume if you test positive you will go to a quarantine facility until you test negative... at your expense.

@Ty Hareways don't forget to factor in what happens if one passenger on the flight or cabin crew test positive.

I assume it's quarantine for all at one's own expense depending on the T&C of of the insurance policy (if you are not the positive one).

Edited by Finlaco
  • Sad 1

On 10/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, Finlaco said:

@Ty Hareways don't forget to factor in what happens if one passenger on the flight or cabin crew test positive.

I assume it's quarantine for all at one's own expense depending on the T&C of of the insurance policy (if you are not the positive one).

FYI, all scaremongering but the whole plane doesn’t go into quarantine. Only close contacts (within meters) go to quarantine. Although, how many meters is not clear. Positive goes to hospitals/hospetals and negative goes to ASQ.

• Like 2

Just know the numbers and understand the risks. 0.3% of vaccinated tourists tested positive on arrival to the Phuket Sandbox. However, how many of those entered on fake tests, we will never know (you can’t verify tests from foreign labs). It is so easy to to just change the name/date on a test… which I know some have done.

As an example of risks. If condoms are only 98% effective, should you abstain from sex because of that 2% chance?

If you test positive in the UK, you then just have to isolate for 7 days.

After that you can go back out.

Do not take another covid test after the 7 days as you will more than likely test positive again due to to it still being in your system.

This is official advise from the government as some of my family have caught covid (symptoms were very mild)

Not sure if its the same in Thailand?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:57 AM, Finlaco said:

Only those sat close to the positive one have to then quarantine, think about within 3 rows.

Staff unaffected and dont have to isolate

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:44 AM, Xavnel said:

You CAN test as Positive on a PCR Test up to 90 days after you have had COVID-19. 

That would seriously ruin someone's vacation if they landed, then tested Positive. 

That's not quite true, your two posts here are hyping up the situation with sensualistic comments that just do little more than inflame the situation and posters on here.

If in the UK as an example if you test positive you just isolate for 5 - 7 days then you can go back out again into the general public. Thats it no more testing nothing.

Of course Thailand might be slightly different but the whole situation is not quite as worrysome as you make out.

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

Only those sat close to the positive one have to then quarantine, think about within 3 rows.

Staff unaffected and dont have to isolate

I'd say this is yet another reason not to take the risk.

I can handle things going wrong if it's my fault as i've only got myself to blame but would  be 'angry man too much' if someone else put a spanner in the works for me.

Wife has joined quite a few Thai Wives Facebook groups and apparently the rule is if you are positive you will be sent to a private hospital. She also said nurses and doctors were up in arms about having to deal and put up with tourists considering the country is in the middle of a pandemic as they are already over worked, and the government should have come up with a better plan. 

The answer was was rather vague to me and could turn out costly, so coincidentally I emailed the Thai Embassy in London this morning before seeing this thread. They have replied to my emails in the past.  When I get a response I will share with you here.

Edited by MaiChai
  • Thanks 1

@hioctane FYI, all scaremongering but the whole plane doesn’t go into quarantine. Only close contacts (within meters) go to quarantine. Although, how many meters is not clear. Positive goes to hospitals/hospetals and negative goes to ASQ.

within meters - one row of seating is 10 people.  Many flights wont be full but the risks multiply with the number of 'near' passengers.  Many people will be doing two legged flights etc...  As you said in your reply 'how many meters is not clear'.  That's the reason for the posting. This is not scaremongering.  As an adult you can take your changes and see what happens.  If a member of crew who has been serving your section of the plane tests positive, that might fall within your definition  of close contacts (within meters).

• Like 1