Curfew, alcohol ban to be lifted in Bangkok, other provinces, from Nov 1

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Chad3000 said:

Sorry, if you cannot purchase alcohol in pubs and bars the curfew / ban has not been lifted.

It just means you can enjoy a beer with a burger or steak. Big deal. Can do that at home.

Your totally missing the point. 

Edited by onthedarkside
personal / flame comment removed
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Two days ago they arrested 61 people at a bar off of Sukhumvit road by Asoke for drinking alcohol. 

I was in a crowded splace tonight in Pattaya where there were at least 300 people all drinking - the place was ramed .....................................................go figure 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I welcome the news but don't really understand it. Is Pattaya on the list of cities where alcohol can be consumed in restaurants and bars? Are go go bars going to open? Are G clubs allowed? And what about bars that don't sell food?

TBD this weekend.

42 minutes ago, smedly said:

I was in a crowded splace tonight in Pattaya where there were at least 300 people all drinking - the place was ramed .....................................................go figure 

Sounds like you had a few. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There you go, the exception which proves the rule.

Careful what you wish for, you won't recognise the place as it stands right now.

Yea, your right, I saw a recent picture of Treetown and it was way too busy for my liking.  All tables full and people walking around looking for a place to sit.  It's only going to get busier in the next couple months.  Maybe I should wait till after Dec/Jan when there are less people.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, neillyweilly said:

So wait a minute. Let me get this right. 

On Monday we can once more drink pints pulled from taps? 

Don't have to bother with the bottle decanted into a mug thing anymore?

In restaurants in some Provinces if the local Governors agree! (according to an earlier report in Pattaya News;

"this will in all cases depend on the governors of those provinces if they will allow alcohol sales at restaurants. (Phuket already had.)

There were also mixed messages on if tourist zones/districts in provinces (Like Hua Hin, Pattaya, Cha-am, or Chiang Mai) could sell alcohol in restaurants or if governors could allow them to do so and this is NOT YET CRYSTAL CLEAR.")

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, johng said:

Is Chonburi still in  "prohibition"  or not ?

According to the CCSA, Bangkok, Krabi, Phang-Nga and Phuket are the only provinces where alcoholic drinks may be served in eateries.

No pubs and bars in Thailand can reopen at this time.

I do  expect Pattaya authorities to be pushing to change this..... (serving of drinks in restaurants).

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 2long said:

But who is able to define what a 'manner that could spread the virus' looks like?

"But on Friday, an announcement was published on the Royal Gazette banning any public gathering "in a manner that could spread the virus".

They are probably referring to the anti-government demonstrations ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, johng said:

No they covered that with "eateries"

Yes but in other formally very touristic places they jump on every offence they can find

that's not to say that the drinking and dancing and partying doesn't go on but it's now rather risky   like the "prohibition" times in America  ..I wonder if there will be a Thai NASCAR (ish) or something else phenomenon emerge from this era.

Thai NASCAR (ish) already exists on most roads!

Edited by animalmagic
typo
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not quite.....

Did you read the full news report?

"No pubs and bars in Thailand can reopen at this time."

but on Nov 01,   there are no bars & pubs in Thailand,  they will all call themselves restaurants ......

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Only in the new “dark red” zone, which now includes Chanthaburi, Tak, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala and Songkhla, where COVID-19 infections are still surging, the curfew from 11 pm to 3 am will remain in place, as the restriction has been lifted in Thailand’s remaining 70 provinces.

And Chiang Mai is at critical level... but?

13 hours ago, johng said:

Well from the PBS linked article

"According to the CCSA, Bangkok, Krabi, Phang-Nga and Phuket are the only provinces where alcoholic drinks may be served in eateries."

and

"No pubs and bars in Thailand can reopen at this time."

Looks like prohibition to me.

Prohibition was in the USA complete ban on the sale, distribution and production of alcohol, so not quite...

• Like 2

Will this change anything?

The only thing I can see that will change is that restaurants in shopping malls will again serve alcohol. Virtually every BKK restaurant not located in a shopping mall has been serving alcohol all along. The glasses might change, but not the libation.

Maybe a second thing could be that Pattaya residents will head to BKK, where they can openly enjoy a libation with their meal, though Patts seems to have its share of scofflaws.

Oh, this bears repeating, as some seem to be missing it:

Restaurants have "Restaurant" Licenses. Bars have "Bar" licenses. Bars are supposed to remain closed, even if they serve food, because their LICENSE says "Bar". (Oddly, there is one agogo in Patpong that occupies a venue that was once a restaurant, and the new owner inherited the 'Restaurant" license, so he should be able to open and serve alcohol from Monday, with plenty of scantily-clad, non-dancing servers.

As for whether this will entice new tourists to come....unlikely. Everyone knew, or at least suspected, that 1 Nov would be the day to relax alcohol restrictions. Also, if airlines have given back 80% of their allotted slots at Suvarnabhumi for the Oct-April'22 period, bookings are likely to be at a minimum. The ones who long planned to come will come, but that's about it.

It is highly likely the average visitor is going to be a single male, as such folks have specific reasons for wanting to come, are willing to jump through the various hoops, and as single travelers are less likely to be caught up in a 'proximity' infection and forced into 14 days self-paid quarantine. All are maybe not quite the 'quality' tourist the govt was hoping to attract, but beggars can't be choosers.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Bangkok, Krabi, Phang-Nga and Phuket are the only provinces where alcoholic drinks may be served in eateries.

Alcohol can be served in many restaurants on Koh Samui as well, but not in the rest of Suratthani province

Edited by Tropicalevo

15 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

I’d bet some baht they’re going to somehow categorize gogos, clubs, and beer bars as distinctly risk-laden and keep them shut until there’s almost none left. Oh well! Off to a villa party 

Exactly as I predicted a couple of months or so ago. This has been and still is a steady strategic plan to be rid, eventually, of "publicly visible" sex for sale to foreigners, at least in the heart of BKK. What's a "Villa Party"? Is this connected to NightWish's move from regular soi 6 buildings and into DarkSide detached premises which are often referred to as villas? How does it work? Presumably invite only. Therefore pushing the business underground to an extent and out of sight of eyes which dislike the industry. Good in some ways, bad in others. Things appear to be evolving. Let's see how it looks in another 3 months - how many old favorites will still be standing (in terms of establishments).

...and if Villa Party culture really kicks off and takes hold, expect within a year for a Thai version of the UK's Criminal Justice Act to be put in place, which, in the UK, came about a couple of decades ago for the purpose of banning parties in private properties (large congregations usually running all night long with music and narcotics often), making them then illegal.

Edited by OishiRefill