Pattaya is so desperate for workers daily salaries have doubled

webfact

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Can't help wondering if any expats would be willing to work for those wages if they were allowed to. Not too proud to do menial work myself, but the snickering and guffawing you'd have to endure from hotel guests would make working anywhere in front of the public intolerably humiliating.

No one ever died from embarrassment.

Worked as a dishpig when doing my PhD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ah yes, the pandemic has awoken people all around the world with most of them now realising that during the lockdowns, that they can actually survive on the basics and not needing to do 8-12 hour shifts per day, 5/7th, sometimes 6/7th of their weekly lives. 

The shortages will of course push costs up on basically everything, fuel prices already rising, electricity prices already rising, imports already rising, interest rates will be next as inflation starts to show it also rising, wages having remained low for so long, now also starting to rise.

Sure are going to be interesting times ahead for some, I just hope for me that I can repeat my last years (Nov20-Oct 21) total living costs to be no more than 10 baht per day, that is the worst it's been for me in the last 6 years when I woke up and said, working is no longer for me, sold up and relocated here, happy days ever since.

10baht per day?

Accommodation, food, power, transport clothing? doubt it

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

wage inflation and short supply is an opening up problem everywhere and yes it will be passed on to customers especially in bars and resturants

This is basically how normal capitalism is supposed to work.  If low wages can't attract workers, employers have to pay more.  This, of course, leads to higher prices and inflation.  So the higher income doesn't necessarily relate to more spending power over time. 

This is one of the reasons why services in Thailand are cheaper than the west, because of low wages.  If wages steadily increase in Thailand, prices of most services will gradually increase.  Good for the working Thais.  Not so good for folks on a fixed income (e.g., retired expats). 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This is basically how normal capitalism is supposed to work.  If low wages can't attract workers, employers have to pay more.  This, of course, leads to higher prices and inflation.  So the higher income doesn't necessarily relate to more spending power over time. 

This is one of the reasons why services in Thailand are cheaper than the west, because of low wages.  If wages steadily increase in Thailand, prices of most services will gradually increase.  Good for the working Thais.  Not so good for folks on a fixed income (e.g., retired expats). 

Please.... The story doesn't get any more fake than this.

7 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Please.... The story doesn't get any more fake than this.

I get it.  I honestly don't believe that there's going to be a massive wage increase in Thailand, especially outside of tourist districts.  I was just opining about how some expats criticize Thai employers for the low wages Thai's typically receive, but don't seem to understand that low wages means low prices....which is one of the reasons why they're in Thailand in the first place. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Can't help wondering if any expats would be willing to work for those wages if they were allowed to. Not too proud to do menial work myself, but the snickering and guffawing you'd have to endure from hotel guests would make working anywhere in front of the public intolerably humiliating.

If Lisa was booked I'd offer to clean her room for that money,

I'd even do the laundry.. as a personal touch.

Lol

• Haha 2

Weird they hire migrant workers, as in Thai law they cant work in Thailand.

Already surprised so many migrant workers are working in Thailand.

But this one will have a catch, i think, the workers have to pay back when all is normal.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Returns from investment vs money spent for the last 365 days, or 2,070 baht out per day, less 2,060 baht in per day = 10.86 baht per day to be exact.

Not on a pension, having to use own savings to invest to obtain a return that will allow me to survive here as opposed to watching my savings go south, and that was never the plan as out is out, we also need in to counter the out.

Melbourne Cup tomorrow mate, you can increase your income with a good bet.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I would do it just to keep busy and show thais who I am instead of the "stereotypes"....My background is hotel/service so I used to love washing dishes, no one messes with you, is easy work, have your own area, etc....only problem was your hands get raw from the water and chemicals----wearing gloves makes it all a pain

So go ahead thais..let us work and solve the problem but noooooo......cant have the dirty falangs stealing our jobs and making us look bad.......

I have never had a problem telling someone to F off as these jobs as usually such low pay, the feeling of telling off a Hiso outweighs any low paying service gig

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sure are going to be interesting times ahead for some, I just hope for me that I can repeat my last years (Nov20-Oct 21) total living costs to be no more than 10 baht per day, that is the worst it's been for me in the last 6 years when I woke up and said, working is no longer for me, sold up and relocated here, happy days ever since.

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Returns from investment vs money spent for the last 365 days, or 2,070 baht out per day, less 2,060 baht in per day = 10.86 baht per day to be exact.

These posts are misleading. You're calculating daily change in net worth rather than cost per day.

Using your method anyone who is running a surplus would have negative living costs per day, which makes no sense.

More accurately you're spending ฿2,070 per day, or an average of ฿62,963 per month. And you're offsetting those costs with gains from investments in lieu of other income. If, for whatever reason, your investments decreased in value, ฿10.86/day wouldn't see you through and can't be thought of as a generalization of what's possible.

15 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Melbourne Cup tomorrow mate, you can increase your income with a good bet.

The race is on in 14 minutes.

I like the GB horse  16.  Grand Promenade 

but the favorite will be very hard to beat .....   imo. 

18 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Weird they hire migrant workers, as in Thai law they cant work in Thailand.

Already surprised so many migrant workers are working in Thailand.

Yes, they can.  Which Thailand are you talking about?  There are millions of migrant workers employed legally in Thailand.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

11 hours ago, The Cipher said:

These posts are misleading. You're calculating daily change in net worth rather than cost per day.

Using your method anyone who is running a surplus would have negative living costs per day, which makes no sense.

More accurately you're spending ฿2,070 per day, or an average of ฿62,963 per month. And you're offsetting those costs with gains from investments in lieu of other income. If, for whatever reason, your investments decreased in value, ฿10.86/day wouldn't see you through and can't be thought of as a generalization of what's possible.

The posts are not misleading in my opinion, they are a reflection of what it costs me to live in Thailand per day, which is 10.86 baht after an income 2,060 baht per day goes towards the 2,070 baht expenses per day. You can work that out monthly if you like, I just find it better for flipping the 10 baht coin.

You can look at it any which way you want, but at the end of the day, it is costing me 10.86 baht per day to live here once I offset the gains (money in) from investments, against the losses (living expenses), again, that's 10.86 baht out of my own pocket per day, that said, there has been no capital gains above my living costs which have been met every year for the past 6 years, in other words, it's been a break even event every year, furthermore with no capital gains in the past 6 years on my investments, I suppose you could say that I have been idol, but it has been costing me basically nothing to live here for those 6 years.

No different to someone who receives a monthly pension, money in, money out, and as I don't have a pension, it works for me as opposed to me dipping into my savings or selling some of my investments.

Investments go up and down depending on how you play the market, e.g. how deep you want go in, and how long you want to stay in, in other words if you are a long term investor or a short term investor.

If you buy and sell, and are comfortable with small gains each time while also receiving your investment outlay back, your a safe investor, if you like to receive dividends things can work out good or bad for you depending on which way your investment goes, up or down.

Personally, I like to buy and sell the same day if it works out that way, or the following day, generally speaking there are no losses for those stocks that fall unless you panic and sell, however I choose a number of stocks and watch them, time my purchase and then exit when they reach a certain level, it works for me as I use those gains to survive here as mentioned and it works for me. 

Not a rocket scientist, but I have a plan that works for me, no doubt if I could create larger gains I would, but with larger gains, larger risks come with it, suffice to say Bitcoin is not for me.