Have you been afraid of Covid-19 in the past 1.5 years?

peter zwart

5 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is what happened to me 10 years ago when I flew to Japan. Some American doctor kept insisting to chat with me while spitting on my face. 4 days later while in Tokyo I got sick. Returned to Canada and was getting worse. Doctors just said the usual, drink and rest... Which I did for almost 3 months. Then I noticed breathing problems which I never had before, but last to this day.

Yeah, Ok as I feel sorry for you, that´s like one in a million.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

can you please send me a link to those studies , It would be interesting to see.

published by WHO

published in "Nature"

...are two of them.

I know John Ioannidis is a red flag for some people, but he IS still the most quoted scientist of his subject. And despite the defamation campaign against him he never was or is an "anti-vaxxer". The linked study uses only official data provided by different countries.

Hendrik Streek is a well known and respected virologist and director of the Institute of Virology of Bonn Univercity.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

published by WHO

published in "Nature"

...are two of them.

I know John Ioannidis is a red flag for some people, but he IS still the most quoted scientist of his subject. And despite the defamation campaign against him he never was or is an "anti-vaxxer". The linked study uses only official data provided by different countries.

Hendrik Streek is a well known and respected virologist and director of the Institute of Virology of Bonn Univercity.

The first thing you need to do when reading these articles is to look at the date. 

One is dated "(Submitted: 13 May 2020 " and the other is dated "Published: 17 November 2020

both are almost two years old, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. 

The article I posted was dated  "Updated: September 28, 2021 "

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The first thing you need to do when reading these articles is to look at the date. 

One is dated "(Submitted: 13 May 2020 " and the other is dated "Published: 17 November 2020

both are almost two years old, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. 

The article I posted was dated  "Updated: September 28, 2021 "

The Ioannidis study was updated in May or June this year but I can't find that in English. I could provide much more in German, but that is not allowed here.

An older study does not mean automaticly that it is outdated.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The Ioannidis study was updated in May or June this year but I can't find that in English. I could provide much more in German, but that is not allowed here.

An older study does not mean automaticly that it is outdated.

Don't fall in the trap of conformational bias. Plenty of returns if you do a google search on the subject.

" COVID-19 infection is two orders of magnitude more likely than the annualized risk of a fatal automobile accident and far more dangerous than seasonal influenzahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19#:~:text=An analysis of those IFR,dangerous than seasonal influenza.."

"COVID-19 appears to be more contagious and to spread more quickly than the flu. With COVID-19, you may experience loss of taste or smell. Severe illness such as lung injury is more frequent with COVID-19 than with influenza. The mortality rate also is higher with COVID-19 than the flu. "

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vs-flu/art-20490339

" COVID-19 is far more harmful and deadly than the seasonal flu, new studies confirm. "

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201218/covid-19-is-far-more-lethal-damaging-than-flu-data-shows#1

"Is Covid more deadly and contagious than seasonal flu?the short answer is yes, "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/14/is-covid-more-deadly-and-contagious-than-seasonal-flu

"The risk of death from COVID-19 is more than triple that from seasonal flu, researchers in Canada say. "

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=252335

I can go on all day, and easily provide links to prestigious publications that support my assertion. But if you want to search for this Ioannidis guy to support your position please do. 

I have said all I will on the subject. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Indeed. It appears that the greater percentage succumbed to the omnipresence of the establishment's sensationalized and overblown propaganda. 

Almost two years into the Covid Era the rate of recovery and asymptomatic still holds at 98.5% - yet never is promoted to our consciousness. 

Quite the usual racket that is ongoing.

It's a good thing hospital ICUs aren't repeatedly being overrun with covid cases..oh..wait a minute...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

published by WHO

published in "Nature"

...are two of them.

Ionaddis repeatedly underestimated the death toll from Covid-19.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

please do

To be honest, it's not worth the time to search the English originals or translations of German studies and articles.

Most of us do not even have the background to check the reliability of those studies and though I'm in the business I could not say I can.

In the end it's a question of believe.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And how often in those 1.5 years the "herd imunity", the immunisation quote of the vaccines were overestimated?

Afaik the Ioannidis numbers were criticised but not debunked.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

And how often in those 1.5 years the "herd imunity", the immunisation quote of the vaccines were overestimated?

Afaik the Ioannidis numbers were criticised but not debunked.

Given that he repeatedly underestimated Covid deaths and deprecated social distancing measures, I'd say a lot of his predictions and analyses were debunked.

Don't you mean that the immunization quota of the vaccines was underestimated. Early on, estimates of as little as 20% were bruited about.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

To be honest, it's not worth the time to search the English originals or translations of German studies and articles.

Most of us do not even have the background to check the reliability of those studies and though I'm in the business I could not say I can.

In the end it's a question of believe.

That's why we rely on trusted mainstream institutions. There are many out there who want to muddy the waters with half truths.

Propaganda always sounds right. What you are being told is true, but out of context. The propaganda lies in what you are not being told. 

From your Avatar I assume you are German.

Below is a very interesting documentary by DW , concerning misinformation. 

I am sure you will find it interesting 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackprince said:

But that's because of the specifics of my lifestyle in Thailand, not because I'm ill-informed enough to underestimate the seriousness of the disease or of the reality of hospitalisation in Thailand due to Covid.

I'm more worried about the possible side effects of the vaccine than I ever was about COVID.

And what about the reality of hospitalisation in Thailand if my brain starts bleeding after shot 2 next week?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Early on in the pandemic, that particular scientist estimated that the U.S. might have up to 10,000 deaths from COVID.... Turns out, he was more than a little bit wrong about that, along with various other things too.

"If we assume that case fatality rate among individuals infected by SARS-CoV-2 is 0.3% in the general population — a mid-range guess from my Diamond Princess analysis — and that 1% of the U.S. population gets infected (about 3.3 million people), this would translate to about 10,000 deaths. This sounds like a huge number, but it is buried within the noise of the estimate of deaths from “influenza-like illness.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

That above was Ioannidis' flawed delusion in March 2020.

Here's the current reality he totally missed:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/580006-us-passes-grim-milestone-of-750000-covid-19-deaths

"The United States has surpassed the sobering milestone of 750,000 COVID-19 deaths despite the widespread availability of vaccines.

According to Johns Hopkins University’s official count, the U.S. had 750,431 confirmed deaths due to the coronavirus as of Thursday morning. The U.S. has had more than 46 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

97+% to 99% (depending where you live and your age) recovery rate from a virus ... NO

Wish I had a 97% recovery rate from all the ailments out there that actually are scary.

This is very misleading. It ignores LONG COVID which is very common.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'm more worried about the possible side effects of the vaccine than I ever was about COVID.

And what about the reality of hospitalisation in Thailand if my brain starts bleeding after shot 2 next week?

Thank you for sharing your irrational fear with us.

• Haha 1

I was, and still am out of Thailand, when the pandemic hit.  I have a fairly good background in biology and science, so I was probably a little better informed than some.  I also have worked overseas in areas when epidemics occurred.  

I have a number of conditions which put me in the high risk category for a severe infection.  

All that didn't help a whole lot when it started applying to me and those close to me.  I wasn't what I would call 'scared', but I certainly did take all the recommendations seriously.  Unlike a lot of people, I am quite comfortable living in isolation and so the whole lockdown, stay at home, etc. was no hardship whatsoever.   I don't really like shopping, so it was easy for me to avoid places and when I did shop, it was OK to get in and out quickly. 

I did suffer from some anxiety and probably a bit of low level depression.  It wasn't noticeable until the vaccine came out.  When I got my first shot, I suddenly felt a lot better, the sun was a little brighter and all I could do was think about places I wanted to go, things I wanted to do, etc.   Oh, I knew I was far from protected yet, but a lot of minor psychological effects disappeared.  

• Thanks 1

Comparing the flu to Covid is normal, but they are different and how they react is different.  Flu is seasonal, Covid is not -- at least not yet.   Flu strikes different geographical areas at different times.  It doesn't affect the entire world at the same time. 

Hospitalizations for flu are less than for Covid and we have a vaccine and known treatments for flu, these are in the early days for Covid.   The flu kills world-wide around the same number that died in the US alone.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

Don't fall in the trap of conformational bias. Plenty of returns if you do a google search on the subject.

"COVID-19 infection is two orders of magnitude more likely than the annualized risk of a fatal automobile accident and far more dangerous than seasonal influenza

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19#:~:text=An analysis of those IFR,dangerous than seasonal influenza.."

"COVID-19 appears to be more contagious and to spread more quickly than the flu. With COVID-19, you may experience loss of taste or smell. Severe illness such as lung injury is more frequent with COVID-19 than with influenza. The mortality rate also is higher with COVID-19 than the flu. "

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vs-flu/art-20490339

" COVID-19 is far more harmful and deadly than the seasonal flu, new studies confirm. "

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20201218/covid-19-is-far-more-lethal-damaging-than-flu-data-shows#1

"Is Covid more deadly and contagious than seasonal flu?the short answer is yes, "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/14/is-covid-more-deadly-and-contagious-than-seasonal-flu

"The risk of death from COVID-19 is more than triple that from seasonal flu, researchers in Canada say. "

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=252335

I can go on all day, and easily provide links to prestigious publications that support my assertion. But if you want to search for this Ioannidis guy to support your position please do. 

I have said all I will on the subject. 

All that tells me is the seasonal flu isn't much to worry about.  So less than 2 or 3% die of that.  Sounds like a good thing.  Apples & oranges.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Have any stats or a link to info ?

My stats are easy to calculate.  Most don't die from covid, and many never knew they had it till randomly tested.  

Yes.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-news/newsroom/studies-show-long-haul-covid-19-afflicts-1-in-4-covid-19-patients-regardless-of-severity/2021/03

Covid has reinforced how many people think they know more about a highly infectious disease than scientists and doctors who have spent decades studying a wide variety of infectious diseases.  People who have actually treated patients for decades with all manner of flu etc.  It has also reinforced how many people don't seem to care if their vaccine refusal has continued to drag out the pandemic to the detriment of worldwide economies not to mention disrupted families with preventable deaths.

That scares me more than covid itself as I believe I know enough to know what I don't know but am willing to trust people who get their information from decades of first hand studies and practice and not some whackjob on the internet who wouldn't know which end of a stethoscope goes where.

• Like 1