Driving Miss Daisy into the Next Life: What happens when we die, suddenly, in Thailand, without a plan? Do you know?

GammaGlobulin

Today, while riding in the backseat, like Miss Daisy, I spoke, for the first time, to my driver, about death, in general.

My driver has gradually, over recent years, become sort of a good friend of mine. She is not too close, but yet not a stranger to me.

I told her that I am….All Alone in Thailand.

I explained to her that, when my time comes, which will be either sooner or later, I told her that, next week, I will write down, and verify legally, my wishes, upon my demise.

For example, after living here in Thailand, I also wish to die here in Thailand.  And, I want to go up in smoke at the local temple, with only two or three friends ensuring that I get fully turned into fumes, and that the resulting ashes be totally forgotten, or mixed with the concrete for the next temple building project.

Some guys might get tired of Thailand. However, I just love this place so much that….I just never want to leave, even in spirit.

So, I really have not done much research about this topic.  However, I am sure that I will not live forever.  And, especially these days, during this virus, and since I have not yet been vaccinated, I just think that the wise thing for me to do would be to, somehow, write down my wishes regarding my bodily remains, should I cease to breathe, for whatever reason.

I know that, in the past, I had wished to give my body to some med school here.  However, someone here pointed out to me that my body, as it is a farang body, might not be accepted.

And so now, I am thinking that I would far prefer to have what is left of me, when my heart stops, be sent up in smoke.

Personally, I like this idea.  I like the thought of it.

Of course, there is no rush to formulate my plan, at the moment.  Yet, I do think that I will begin to put my wishes into writing, probably within the next month, or two.  This will provide me with peace of mind, and I will then feel happier as a result.

Please do not misunderstand me, because I really do hope that I can live another five years.

However, who really knows?

And so, I think that it would give me some relief if I could put down in words just what I want to happen when I take my last breath, and when the blood in my veins stops pumping.

So, anyway, when I mentioned this thought to my driver, she was completely in-tune with my thinking.  I really do not know, but maybe, in Thai culture, such thoughts are not looked upon as being odd.  Why should we not think of our own demise, and why should these thoughts be perceived as anything but positive and fruitful?

I rarely dwell on such topics as this.  However, earlier today, this topic just popped into my head while riding in the backseat of my driver’s car, looking out at the glorious day, the mountains, the low humidity, the sunshine, and the beauty of the world.

My existence in Thailand has always been the happiest time in my long life. And, I might even live for another twenty years, conceivably. Or, I might get hit by a runaway TukTuk, tomorrow. Who knows?

This is why I think I would be even happier than I now am if I were to write down clearly, in a legal way, exactly what I want to happen should my life become terminated, suddenly.

I am sure that it will make me feel good if I write down my wishes, now, and if I talk to the temple nearby, and if I can come to some understanding, what will happen to me, should I suddenly become less quick and, maybe, completely dead. 

I guess that some of you, not tourists, obviously, have been here long enough to pay some thought to what you want to happen to your body, when your body becomes just an object, and not you.

What even happens to one’s body IF one makes no provisions, if one is a farang, and one just suddenly stops breathing, anyway?

I really do not know.

============

So, anyway, I am not thinking morbidly, here, in any way.

I am just thinking proactively, because I want things to go my way, even after I have left planet Earth and have headed up to Saturn to commune with Kurt Vonnegut on planet Saturn.

=====

I am a procrastinator.  But, this time, I really need to get my rear in gear and do some writing, so that, when the inevitable happens, then things will go as I wish, and as I had planned.

Do any of you know of any resources helpful in making plans for the hereafter ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

One more fling down to Pattaya? ???? What do you say hansum man?

I have not been to Pattaya for a fling, not even once.

I have seen videos about Pattaya on YouTube, which is plenty, for me.

I think, probably, that if I were to fling my thing around Pattaya, then I would never reach Heaven, should I die.

Or, maybe, flinging one's thing in Pattaya could be Heaven, in itself.  Heaven on Earth.

Each to his or her own.

Instant gratification seems to be the main attraction of Pattaya.

Are you for it?

Or, are you against it?

• Sad 1

I had a friend up north who died suddenly after taking the balcony as an exit route. It was a mess clearly, even we had a decent funeral at the local temple he wasn’t even balmed or prepared and looked like <deleted> on the last day when i said goodbye. 

So having a plan might be worthwhile, doubt he cared but for us it was a shock seeing him like that. Might be a normal practice in Thailand tho, it was my first funeral.

He wasnt poor either and did had plenty of cash and funds prearranged so i that shocked me even more. Nowhere like in the west.

I hate having seen him like that for the last time, a closed coffin been better with memories alive.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I had a friend up north who died suddenly after taking the balcony as an exit route. It was a mess clearly, even we had a decent funeral at the local temple he wasn’t even balmed or prepared and looked like <deleted> on the last day when i said goodbye. 

So having a plan might be worthwhile, doubt he cared but for us it was a shock seeing him like that. Might be a normal practice in Thailand tho, it was my first funeral.

Well, if it was your first funeral, then you can look forward to more, maybe.

The most important thing is planning.

One always hopes that one's funeral is at least one decade in the future.

However, it is always best to plan early, just in case.

My preference is to make my last appearance at the local temple.

I am sure my good friends will follow my wishes.

However, I need to write down my wishes, is all that I am saying.

Although, I am not sure how to do this, in order to make my wishes legally binding, here.

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, if it was your first funeral, then you can look forward to more, maybe.

The most important thing is planning.

One always hopes that one's funeral is at least one decade in the future.

However, it is always best to plan early, just in case.

My preference is to make my last appearance at the local temple.

I am sure my good friends will follow my wishes.

However, I need to write down my wishes, is all that I am saying.

Although, I am not sure how to do this, in order to make my wishes legally binding, here.

My first funeral in Thailand obviously, he looked like <deleted> and nothing was done to prepare him the slightest. 

From his broken neck to a last shave, nails or more, nothing was done at all. It was just sad really.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Why worry about it, you're dead.

Worry? No. Respect those saying good bye: Yes, have some decency to take care and not haunt people like the ones are who cared of my friend. 

Let the last impression be a peaceful and good one, not horror to continue those left behind with nightmares.

Whilst I don't have it on hand but will check, you need to do a will through a legal person in Thailand. They from memory are about 5000 baht, but it gives Thai authorities locally to respect your wishes, even with you died. It's believed best practice if you can afford it. Personal choice of course.

• Like 1

If you have no one, then you have to select a trusted executor to carry out any wishes you may have, but they are only wishes no guarantee they will be other than legal matter etc set out in a will. Anything else frankly is more of a hope.

"Of course, there is no rush to formulate my plan, at the moment."

or so you thought ????  oops, too late, you died today.

Hope not, but advice given.  Let someone you know what your wishes are.  If not having anyone, then your driver seems a good candidate.  Take a minute or hour, put it paper, and your done.  2 signing witnesses make it official.

If that does work, as suggested, who cares, you're dead.

Late one evening a few years ago saw something burning on the lawn beside a house, my wife informed me it was a cremation and would probably burn for couple of days or so.

Body was wrapped and propped up over the fire, looked a good way to finish up to me everything at home no stress for the family

19 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Try posting more uplifting subjects , there is enough doom and gloom

around at this time , to be thinking about death , although it is inevitable .

do you know any good jokes ?  ........

regards Worgeordie

How about    If you don't go to other peoples funerals they won't go to yours.

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2021 at 2:03 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

...next week, I will write down, and verify legally, my wishes, upon my demise.

...I will begin to put my wishes into writing, probably within the next month, or two. 

Next week, next month, next two months...probably.   Make up your mind.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:09 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

My first funeral in Thailand obviously, he looked like <deleted> and nothing was done to prepare him the slightest. 

From his broken neck to a last shave, nails or more, nothing was done at all. It was just sad really.

That service is never free of charge and the same would have happened in any other country if no one was bothered enough to cough up for the  body preparations...that is what is sad.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:10 AM, worgeordie said:

Try posting more uplifting subjects , there is enough doom and gloom

around at this time , to be thinking about death , although it is inevitable .

do you know any good jokes ?  ........

regards Worgeordie

"Try posting more uplifting subjects..."

Try not reading the threads that don't appeal to you.   Some of us appreciate all topics and no one is forced to read any threads.  This one's title is specific enough about it's dreary contents to warn you!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

As someone else wrote on this forum, quoting a source, "I was dead  billions of  years before I was born, and knew nothing about it"    so I doubt  you will know anything about what happens to your body once   you die, so why worry, Ive  seen many dead people, none of them  appeared worried.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You ask: "What happens when we die, suddenly, in Thailand, without a plan? Do you know?"

It's pretty easy: We are dead.

And because we are dead we won't know whatever will happen.

P.S.: This is not just the case in Thailand. And it does not matter if it is suddenly and if we had a plan or not.

• Like 1

Do any of you know of any resources helpful in making plans for the hereafter ?

No, not for the hereafter, but I will attach a Thai Will for you to use, and it is in both Thai and English with the English version taking precedent if the Thai translation is "unsure".

I also made out a document called a Memorandum of Wishes which detailed all that I wanted done after my demise.

I gave both of these documents to a local lawyer, whom I know, and they will be executor of the Will and also carry out my Memorandum of Wishes, using funds from my estate to pay their expenses.

I also gave a copy to a good friend here in Patong, as well as my lawyer in NZ, so I should be covered every which way but loose when I go to the big vineyard in the sky.

Once you've done all this, you should be able to rest easy.

Thai Will template amended.docx

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

As someone else wrote on this forum, quoting a source, "I was dead  billions of  years before I was born, and knew nothing about it"    so I doubt  you will know anything about what happens to your body once   you die, so why worry, Ive  seen many dead people, none of them  appeared worried.

...and none of them whinged about it!