PM stresses Thailand-U.S. partnerships in meeting with Congress members

snoop1130

fbef6eb5cb8bbf8f863a8cda57c7dff8_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Prime Minister of Thailand has emphasized the partnership between Thailand and the United States in a meeting with U.S. Congress members, expressing his willingness to pursue cooperation in every aspect.

Mr. Amerish "Ami" Bera, member of the U.S. House of Representatives, and chair of the Subcommittee on Asia, the Pacific, Central Asia, and Nonproliferation, led members of visiting U.S. House of Representatives in a courtesy call to Thailand’s Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, upon their official visit to Thailand.

The group of U.S. officials is the first to visit Thailand since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, reflecting a longstanding relationship shared by both countries.

Both sides expressed their willingness to extend bilateral cooperation and acknowledged similar approaches shared by both countries on global topics, such as climate change, human security, human trafficking suppression, and COVID-19 responses in the aspects of public health and economic recovery.

Both sides acknowledged the continual growth of Thailand-U.S. trade even during the pandemic, and the support provided for U.S. firms to invest in Thailand. Both sides agreed that security and military cooperation is an important part of Thailand-U.S. relations.

On this occasion, Thailand pledged to cooperate with and support constructive roles of the U.S. in the Mekong subregion, particularly through regional and subregional cooperation frameworks.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, greeneking said:

Why does Thailand need donations?

It is a country with many rich and proud families.

It has Siam Bio-Science, the hub of vaccines for South East Asia.

And it seems to have loved China more than the USA for some years now.

All obvious points, but what is going on?

So, what about the Moderna vaccines that everyone paid in advance for and never got. Are they ever going to get here? Also Siam Bio-Science is testing a DNA vaccine, when will it be available? In my area we still haven't run out of Sinovac vaccines as advised, it seems like it is a bottomless pit.

• Like 1

Ask the pseudo PM about "free speech" with regard to Section 112 and the students ...

Ask the pseudo PM what happened with the 1 million doses of US donated Pfizer ...

Ask this pseudo PM about the whole Chinese coziness ...

Ask the pseudo PM why they need such high import tax ... 

Edited by HaoleBoy
  • Like 1

I fear it is too late for any continued meaningful relationship between Thailand and the US.

Thailand has disappeared way too far up China's jacksy for that to be possible, never to return. Of course Thailand will offer lip service when required but the relationship if it continues, will be completely one sided.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

What about the million doses of Moderna that the US offered to Thailand?

I don't recall a Moderna pledge but I and other foreign Expats have already received our two does of the USA donated Pfizer donations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yes, these were the Pfizer donations that have now already been received and distributed to many countries. Moderna was not mentioned in Senator Duckworth's statement.

Moderna was ordered from a private firm.  Not a donation by the US.  Though it would be a good idea for the US to donate more.  They've got a surplus now.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/10/15/moderna-vaccines-will-arrive-in-november-firm-says/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Moderna was ordered from a private firm.  Not a donation by the US.  Though it would be a good idea for the US to donate more.  They've got a surplus now.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/10/15/moderna-vaccines-will-arrive-in-november-firm-says/

Correct. Moderna vaccines have been ordered and were not part of the USA donations addressed in the post I replied to. The USA has been and is continuing to make donations around the globe. My wife has signed up for and paid for the Moderna vaccines we are awaiting ... I received my two doses of Pfizer vaccine from the US donation. My Stepdaughter has received her first Pfizer shot with her public school classmates.

• Like 1

If what Prayut says is for real I guess its called "sitting on the fence" or "keeping your options open" and running with whichever side you can get the most benefits from.

Prayuts comments would not make the CCP happy although the way Thailand sucks up to China I guess Thailand would only side with the US when china fails!!

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Both sides agreed that security and military cooperation is an important part of Thailand-U.S. relations.

Did anybody ask where the 1 million Pfizer doses went that Tammy Duckworth arranged for?

• Thanks 1

Just now, tonray said:

"at the conclusion of pleasantries, General Prayut proposed an 'expat swap' whereby he will send back to the USA a bunch of old 800K retirement expats in exchange for a handful of wealthy US expats and/or digitall nomads"

Why not the UK too? 

I am waiting for a similar offer, although I expect they would buy my house off me, and allow me to send my 800k home first!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kenneth White said:

America on one side, China on the other with Thailand in the middle...Hum what could go wrong here?

Didn't do too badly for them in the past when it was the French and the Brits (what's a bit of land compared to colonisation).

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Didn't do too badly for them in the past when it was the French and the Brits (what's a bit of land compared to colonisation).

Actually, throughout contemporary Siamese/Thai history - the politics of balancing a geopolitical "in betweenism" has fared well for them up to present day.  

• Like 1