Is this the end of Thailand as a Retirement Destination

Robin

7 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If you want to be pedantic, you should take it up with the so called "journalists" at Pattaya Mail. But before doing so perhaps rethink your numbers. You called it "pure loss", but is it? There's a massive difference between actual loss and billed loss, particularly when you're talking about dual pricing in hospitals for foreigners.

I like to put things in perspective, because this is just not right. To compare turnover with loss is not correct. 

Your point is also well taken that billed loss might not be the actual loss. You were the one quoting it and you know better too. 

But sure im all for paying 100-500 bt extra and not have this stupid rule. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

You were the one quoting it and you know better too. 

I was quoting it purely for the alleged losses figure to compare to 2013 (hence bolding the figures), not the gumph around it.

Edited by Salerno

Yes love to pay extra 100-500 bt but the losses they are talking about are small compared what they could be if they NOW let people in without health insurance. Because the risk of getting sick is a lot higher because of covid. So these figures would jump if people had no insurance.

Lets hope that this mess gets changed or that they make the rules easier for us who do have insurance. 

42 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

great idea, let's all get Comfortably Numb!

Yeah dunno what retirees are worried about if you wanna come here and stay, stay or go somewhere else where's the problem.

If someone here left Thailand to visit there home country at the beginning of the pandemic and find it expensive to come back then wait longer or be expected to pay more. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I agree with some of what you said, but you think an expat should be allowed to live here on 300-400 baht a day?

That seems ridiculous if you ask me.

An expat should be able to live a comfortable, moderate life, not a life of poverty.

There is a reason there are so many jumpers here in Pattaya.

A lot of expats run out of money or their income streams do not keep pace with inflation.

Of course an expat should be allowed to live on 300 baht a day if they so wish, just as long as they are covered in the event of hospitalisation. I have zero sympathy for any that are not.

The day someone can tell me how much I have to spend per day is the day I end it, as the world really will be in the toilet, IMO.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Im just <deleted> off because I do have insurance always had and a good one too, but these rules make it hard for me anyway as i pay yearly for it. So it will never match my travel dates. Meaning I have to change my policiy with every trip (hassle)

All this because of those ************ who thought insurance was not needed and got in trouble. 

If your insurance is yearly and renewed yearly how on earth can it effect your traveling

you are insured year round so it matters not when you leave or return

you could in all reality do you return  thai pass whatever its called before you left Thailand

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, poohy said:

If your insurance is yearly and renewed yearly how on earth can it effect your traveling

you are insured year round so it matters not when you leave or return

you could in all reality do you return  thai pass whatever its called before you left Thailand

What I have heard is that your insurance validity has to match when you enter Thailand. So i pay in january for the whole year. Now if i go out of Thailand in februari and go back in march. My insurance would be 3 months short (so i might have to pay them 3 months have a new policy). 

Its just annoying that there are new rules that make it harder. Now if they would just accept that i pay insurance every year and look at my insurance history and see it never lapsed. But i doubt they are that flexible.

Though there are reports that they are not that strict. 

• Like 1

[quote]

When you reach that magical "use by" date set by insurance companys, and your of absolutley no value to them, and your policy is cancelled,  come and tell us about it, wont you, and join the  compulsory self insured brigade.

[/quote]

Huh, if you chose the right insurance policy in the first place, then the company legally can't cancel your policy, nor increase your premiums individually if you've claimed before.  They are stuck with you for life.....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

So i pay in january for the whole year. Now if i go out of Thailand in februari and go back in march. My insurance would be 3 months short (so i might have to pay them 3 months have a new policy).

sorry i am confused this makes no sense

Your insurance only has be up to the date of reentry permit so i really do not see a problem

At worst just amend ins policy to coincide with expiry date of visa 

never any more problems

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

did so here happily a long time before crooks stole the goverment and steered the country into a mire

There were problems brewing in latter days of Taksin regime. Abbasit was no friend despite we have him proper western education.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Thailand will always be a retirement destination.

I think once the world is vaccinated and the cases of covid amongst the locals dissipates, things will almost go back to normal.

I have a feeling they may keep some sort of insurance requirement as it really saves their butt so they don't have to worry about medical free loaders.

There are a lot of expats that really cannot afford to be here.  So I think they want to prevent these types of people from moving here.  That is why they have the 800,000 requirement.

The recently announced they are looking into a 10-year visa for expats LINK..

This shows they are still trying to make Thailand attractive to expats.

Do you often come out with stuff as good as this PTMD. Worth following. 

Correct me if I am wrong:

With an O visa, even though insurance is not required like O/A.

You still need the 50K insurance the whole year or your duration  unless you do not plan to travel outside Thailand, kind of of like your re-entry permit where you purchase (3900 baht) when you renew your extension.

So insurance is always available for over 70 years old cause i cannot imagine there were be no tourist over the age of 70  years old. Come in as tourist and reapply to O every time or keep a  year 50K insurance which for your visa ext O  stay

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

A retirement destination will be a country which actually wants you to retire there, not just a country where you want to retire!

So it needs to encourage foreign retirees by offering:

- A long-term (at least one year) visa aimed at retirees

- A safe environment

- Benefits that locals get, such as free/reduced travel for pensioners etc

- A good local health system that foreign retirees can pay into

etc etc

Now, countries in the world which actually meet the above can probably be counted on the fingers of my 2 hands!!

Face the truth - most countries do not want you to retire there, unless you are rich and like to throw your $$$ around.  For us lesser mortals, the number of welcoming countries is small, and probably getting smaller every year.

Although I'm in the process of moving from Laos, (due to local police hassles over my ham radio hobby!), it was always my plan to move at 65/66 years old to a country which actually encourages British expats to retire their, and where the UK pension is pegged to annual increases.  My new destination will be either Turkey or TRNC (North Cyprus).  Thailand was never on my list of choices!

Thought Turkey or Cyprus are frozen places now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alotoftravel said:

With an O visa, even though insurance is not required like O/A.

It is my understanding that you are not required to have the $50,000 insurance for the 0 visa.  If however you travel outside of Thailand and return, you need the $50,000 insurance covered through the expiration date of your extension.
Upon expiration you could again extend the 0 visa with no insurance. 

So what the policy really does is it forces those on 0 visa's to have insurance if they travel outside of Thailand and return. 

18 minutes ago, poohy said:

sorry i am confused this makes no sense

Your insurance only has be up to the date of reentry permit so i really do not see a problem

At worst just amend ins policy to coincide with expiry date of visa 

never any more problems

That is what i am talking about having to amend the insurance policy each time i travel instead of just paying by year and not looking back. Its ok if you go somewhere incidentally but if you travel more frequently it will become a pain in the ass. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is what i am talking about having to amend the insurance policy each time i travel instead of just paying by year and not looking back. Its ok if you go somewhere incidentally but if you travel more frequently it will become a pain in the ass. 

I think we are at cross purposes 

My retirement visa  has expired on 5 August for 8 years

so if i wanted yearly insurance which i haven't i would arrange ins to that date or as near as possible as a one off

So then  My reentry permit I would always be admitted until 8 august 

As would  insurance be always valid to that date

Everybody happy

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

I think we are at cross purposes 

My retirement visa  has expired on 5 August for 8 years

so if i wanted yearly insurance which i haven't i would arrange ins to that date or as near as possible as a one off

So then  My reentry permit I would always be admitted until 8 august 

As would  insurance be always valid to that date

Everybody happy

Ah i get you, sorry I am on an elite visa, each time I enter i get a full year. So that is my problem. I get how it works for retirement visa. Its just a bit different for elite. Will probably be on retirement in a few years. 

• Like 1