Thai-based department store owner Central sizes up Selfridges takeover

webfact

9 hours ago, DeaconJohn said:

Another iconic British brand name on sale to the highest bidder.

Do the Brits own anything anymore?

Sign of the times - last several decades.

Don't own anything of substance and don't produce anything. 

Similar situation with their close English-speaking cousins across the waters. 

Yet, they go on to speak that their delusional economies are the strongest and most influential in the world. 

How does that work?

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If only they read this forum they wouldn't be doing this - if only someone could enlighten them!

Sorry, but I think it's safe to assume the Central Group have a bit more business savvy than you - they have a pretty good track record of success globally.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/861908/selfridges-retail-limited-revenue-worldwide/

Do not agree. Too many takeovers like this dramatically failed and billions have been lost. Do some research.

25 minutes ago, Deli said:

Do not agree. Too many takeovers like this dramatically failed and billions have been lost. Do some research.

Great, so maybe the random forum geezer has greater business insight than the family who built a multi billion dollar international business empire from scratch.  He says they are looking at it through a Thai lens and so it will fail.  And you go with the random notoriously anti Thai forum geezer.

Okey dokey.

5 hours ago, chilli42 said:

That’s right.  These kinds of stores are in trouble around the globe.  Thing is this Thai company is looking at this ‘takeover’ through their own local lens.  It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

In the UK Debenhams have gone BHS,British Home Stores , plus others ,high streets are looking like ghost towns .

My town of Northampton has been on locale news more than once ,for shops closing down .

Will see next year how many more have bite the dust .high streets are almost history ,unless you are a supermarket or a coffee chain .

• Like 1

I bought my first VHS recorder, in about 1982, from the TV and Hi-fi department in Selfridges Oxford Street.

It was sold to me by a foreign gentlemen who was determined never to return to his country of origin, as the UK was so much nicer.

That country?

Clue: His name was "Chai" Chotiphong.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Kind of a worthless ranking without knowing the source

If you were actually interested you use the Google machine, not make a whiney, gotcha forum post... the info is out there for those who care to look. Many different lists depending on criteria and year of study. The one I picked is an "interesting" (as I said) reflection of the data, not a "definitive" ranking which requires debate.

As the west donates money and vaccines  from its struggling taxpayers into places like Thailand, the Uber wealthy in places like Thailand donate nothing to the cause and instead buy up multi million dollar companies in the West. 

All the while arguing that foreigners shouldn’t be able to buy land in Thailand, as they buy up prime real estate in cities like London.

Our politicians are complete mugs. Absolute muppets.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If only they read this forum they wouldn't be doing this - if only someone could enlighten them!

Sorry, but I think it's safe to assume the Central Group have a bit more business savvy than you - they have a pretty good track record of success globally.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/861908/selfridges-retail-limited-revenue-worldwide/

Have we met?  You seem to think you know something about my background. In any case, if it’s such a brilliant idea and the Central Group such a savvy high performing company perhaps you should put some skin in the game and invest in their common stock.  Easy money it would seem.

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

Have we met?  You seem to think you know something about my background. In any case, if it’s such a brilliant idea and the Central Group such a savvy high performing company perhaps you should put some skin in the game and invest in their common stock.  Easy money it would seem.

Apologies, you are right, I made assumptions about you.   I just assumed you haven't built up a $10 billion dollar international business empire from scratch, silly me.

Amazing the people you can meet on this forum!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Does that mean we might get a 7-11 in Oxford Street?

Back in the mid 90s when I used to work in London there was a 7-Eleven on Oxford Street.

And to be pedantic the Central Group has nothing to do with 7-Eleven, you're thinking of CP.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mikebike said:

If you were actually interested you use the Google machine, not make a whiney, gotcha forum post... the info is out there for those who care to look. Many different lists depending on criteria and year of study. The one I picked is an "interesting" (as I said) reflection of the data, not a "definitive" ranking which requires debate.

Interesting is irrelevant if inaccurate. I asked because the list you provided does not appear accurate when juxtaposed against the other lists provided by the “Googen machine”.  But hey you keep posting whatever makes you feel good, accuracies and relevance be damned. 

On 11/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, johng said:

That very thing just happened to me...luckily my wife said she would wear them so no need to send them back

I then ordered the XL size ????

So, she wears the (under) pants in your house ????

18 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Interesting is irrelevant if inaccurate. I asked because the list you provided does not appear accurate when juxtaposed against the other lists provided by the “Googen machine”.  But hey you keep posting whatever makes you feel good, accuracies and relevance be damned. 

Nice try. Please explain your methodology in determining "accuracy". Or are we just going on your say-so?

Edited by mikebike

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Apologies, you are right, I made assumptions about you.   I just assumed you haven't built up a $10 billion dollar international business empire from scratch, silly me.

Amazing the people you can meet on this forum!

No not from scratch. Just spent my time making a larger international business much bigger.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, mikebike said:

Nice try. Please explain your methodology in determining "accuracy". Or are we just going on your say-so?

You make no sense at all. Circular reasoning is what you are employing. I simply asked you for the source of the ranked list you posted, so as to verify its veracity. You keep implying the information is now somehow mine? Are you high? Taken a blow to the head? A bit shy of a full deck?

If Central were to adopt their tried and tested model and open a Selfridges branch in every shopping mall in England then the brand wold be totally devalued and they'd go out of business.

The flagship Oxford Street store survives on the back of it's name and reputation. Only the well-off and tourists shop there these days as prices are well above anywhere else.