Survey suggests 70% of Thais ready to travel abroad within the next six months

webfact

Economic immigration is not exactly travel and in some other surveys the majority of youth wanted to do so. 
On fb there is a very large (around million) discussion group about packing bags for good. They share ideas about practicalities. 
The thing is - borders are still no opened wide and consulates are not keen to give visas to all applicants. But the exodus will happen just after pandemic ends, whenever it will be

• Like 1

T

The survey was the work of digital wallet group YouTrip in collaboration with Kasikorn Bank. 

It should be noted that this was a survey of their customers rather than the Thai population as a whole, notes ASEAN NOW. 

Sounds a bit more plausible then

"The media interpreted this as Thais saying that if foreigners can come here, we want to go there."

I think a better interpretation is that this subset of relatively-wealthy thais know it is safe to travel internationally, and that in 6 months they expect that it will be less of a hassle to return to thailand.

52 minutes ago, zoltannyc said:

I have worked in statistics for 20 years. so I was compelled to look into the survey methodology:

The survey result is based on user feedback from YouTrip a multi-currency mobile wallet for travelers. so 70%  is actually low, why do you need a multi-currency mobile wallet if you don't travel.

It's like going around asking people eating icecream that "Do you like icecream?" and you get a shocking result that over 90% of people like icecream.

That little critical piece is omitted from the above "news" item.  I would be surprised if more than 10% of Thais ever had a passport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I would not have thought 70% could afford to travel overseas, even in a normal year. Even in more developed countries 70% do not travel aboard annually. More utter tosh from the country of utter tosh filled with marketeers and snake oil sellers.

The 70% they are talking about are people that have the funds or the ability to get the money to travel.  It is not the Thai population which would have a hard time going on a holiday to Phuket let alone outside the countries.

• Like 1

LOL

Fake news?!?!?!

Where was the survey conducted, at Central Embassy or IconSiam or Siam Paragon?

15/70 million Thais are living in poverty; most Thais are struggling to make ends meet.

Maybe 70% of Thais want to get away from Prayut's Thailand?

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

So they'd have us believe that 50 million Thais have got the latest holiday brochures out and are checking the resorts in the Maldives? I doubt if 70% of Thais have ever left the country in their lives, apart from maybe illicitly popping across the border to the market in Cambodia, lol. Maybe I'm just a working class type of guy, but I can only think of one Thai person I know well who's ever really been abroad (she lived in Norway for a few years and hated it).

Do 70% actually own a passport?