Anutin: Pfizer Won't Give Paxlovid Formula to Thailand

webfact

For all those celebrating this news, note that as foreigners in Thailand, if and when you get this drug, it will be imported, taxed, and charged  to you at a price higher than what it would sell for in the West.  All to make Pfizer's stock price go higher.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Is there an explanation of why Thailand, and other countries: Brazil, China, Russia, Argentina, are not part of this?

And might it not be easier, and faster to just buy this drug from Pfizer already manufactured. No need to set up a factory, obtain precursors, etc?

• Like 2

It will be easy enough to decipher the ingredients and some companies (with or without government knowledge) will offer a generic based on the Pfizer formula. Quality control standards might be less but the formula should be near exact. Pfizer will be busy suing these companies.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Is there an explanation of why Thailand, and other countries: Brazil, China, Russia, Argentina, are not part of this?

And might it not be easier, and faster to just buy this drug from Pfizer already manufactured. No need to set up a factory, obtain precursors, etc?

Best guess: they don't want to pay for it; they don't want to set up the strict controls required to insure quality or security of the process/product.

But that is just off top of my head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dyertribe said:

Well ... they did decide that the patent held on a drug by Japan wasn't valid in Thailand and so they promptly started making it without any royalties ...  Thailand has to lay in the bed it made.

Hearsay rubbish. Post a link to your claim which I bet you can't. Can't even name the drug.

Edited by Chris.B

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

For all those celebrating this news, note that as foreigners in Thailand, if and when you get this drug, it will be imported, taxed, and charged  to you at a price higher than what it would sell for in the West.  All to make Pfizer's stock price go higher.

No to fill the pockets of Thailands inland revenue.

Pfizer gets the selling price before any taxation in Thailand, that has nothing to do with what the government sell it to you for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ourdon said:

obviously I'm missing something here.  Pfizer does not charge any import duties.  Pfizer does not have any rights of taxation in Thailand or any country for that matter.  The price for the vaccine is set by the Thai legal entity that purchased the vaccine under government purview.  

None of these monies other than the original contract price goes to Pfizer and thus does not affect its' stock price.

Now if you were talking about some unknown and unnamed Government officials that inserted themselves into the supply chain for their modest surcharge of 30% to 40% the story might vary somewhat.

Pfizer is only guilty of living up to its' contract at an agreed upon price.

Yea, you're missing just about everything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Pfizer gets the selling price before any taxation in Thailand, that has nothing to do with what the government sell it to you for.

Clueless. Drugs are imported and repackaged in Thailand. An acquaintance of mine does this. The company he owns is worth over $2 billion. Drugs imported are then taxed and repackaged. That is how things work. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Clueless. Drugs are imported and repackaged in Thailand. An acquaintance of mine does this. The company he owns is worth over $2 billion. Drugs imported are then taxed and repackaged. That is how things work. 

Nonsense. That's only the case if a private company is going to be selling the drugs in Thailand. The Thai govt is doing the purchasing. Pfizer will have nothing to do with how the drug is packaged and distributed. So there's no way taxes or the price it's sold for in Thailand will benefit Pfizer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Drake said:

As I said, Pfizer sell for a price.

After that it depends on what the purchaser does with the product.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Pfizer is making arrangements to have Paxlovid available at concessionary prices in low and middle income countries:

"Under the licensing agreement, the United Nations-backed Medicines Patent Pool will work with other drugmakers to manufacture the pill for use in 95 countries, including in sub-Saharan Africa, Pfizer and the nonprofit said Tuesday."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-licenses-promising-covid-19-pill-to-u-n-backed-nonprofit-11637063101

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As I said, Pfizer sell for a price.

After that it depends on what the purchaser does with the product.

Well, Pfizer might have a sales division in Thailand. I'm not saying that they do. But even if that were the case, I don't see what the imposition of taxes would have to do with their profitability. Also, it's generally the practice of pharmaceutical companies to charge the highest prices in the USA. Anyway, in this case, ithe sale is being made to the Thai government. So those considerations are utterly irrelevant.