Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License

For a bit more of run out i'd recommend Chonburi 
Went to Chonburi city to change my car from Bangkok to Chonburi and get new plates all done in 2 hours ! (Previously it took a couple of weeks to get new plates)
Nipped up stairs to renew my car licence ,copy passport visa,letter from immigration and old licence (No medical letter needed here )
Straight onto doing a couple of eye tests and brake test and line up the 2 poles , Ten minutes in video room then back out to pay and get licence 555 baht and all done in an hour !
Bonus i got nearly five & half years on a sixty day tourist visa [emoji2]
Here? Is English a problem?

Chonburi Provincial Transport Banglamung District Branch
143 Nong Pla Lai, Tambon Nong Pla Lai, Amphoe Bang Lamung, Chang Wat Chon Buri 20150
038 069 055
https://goo.gl/maps/qzoTfRwPPMu

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Banglamung on Christmas Day to renew my 5-year driver's license. From start to finish the process took SEVEN HOURS! (And that was with the help of an agent.) The licensing facility is far too small, it is grossly understaffed, and the equipment is antiquated. The process itself is cumbersome, inefficient, and unnecessarily time-consuming. ONE person performing the various basic tests, ONE cashier, ONE person taking photographs, ONE person checking the mountain of paperwork, while 300 people sit patiently waiting. And they close from 12 noon to 1 a.m for lunch. The Thai government wants to encourage more people to acquire a driver's license. This is not the way to do it!

Edited by Goethe
Typo.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goethe said:

Went to Banglamung on Christmas Day to renew my 5-year driver's license. From start to finish the process took SEVEN HOURS! (And that was with the help of an agent.) The licensing facility is far too small, it is grossly understaffed, and the equipment is antiquated. The process itself is cumbersome, inefficient, and unnecessarily time-consuming. ONE person performing the various basic tests, ONE cashier, ONE person taking photographs, ONE person checking the mountain of paperwork, while 300 people sit patiently waiting. And they close from 12 noon to 1 a.m for lunch. The Thai government wants to encourage more people to acquire a driver's license. This is not the way to do it!

have to agree with pretty much everything you said, they should separate the process for new and renew - there is no need for people renewing their licence to go through all this nonsense, once you have applied and passed the process for a new licence (whatever that is for each individual)  it should be a simple online or postal application to renew - in fact the 5 year years for a licence should be extended to 10.

Maximum resource should be spent on those that are getting a licence for the first time - training - testing - competence etc once done then to renew should be a simple painless process as I have mentioned above - online or by post

The people at the top responsible for this whole thing are quite frankly clueless - uneducated and should not be in the position they are in, it is part of a huge problem in Thailand were those at the top responsible for important Government agencies and their strategies are not fit for purpose - how did they get there ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Renewed my 5 year car and MC licenses Feb. 21, 2019. Arrived at 7:20 a.m., 70-80 people in line already. Received queue number 016 for desk 11 from the lady sitting outside the front door. Doors opened at 8 a.m., about 200 people had arrived by this time. Invited to go upstairs to desk 11 at 8:35 a.m. Clerk checked documents, then sent to room 1 with a red card. At 9:20 a.m. invited to go to testing area. Tested for colour blindness, and depth perception only. 9:35 a.m. test completed and returned to room 1 to watch movie, all sound in Thai, about how to drive properly and some horrific accidents. Had to sign a big register book while attending movie. After movie, received documents, with old licenses and passport. Told to sign a document verifying address, and other details. Next, line-up to desk 15 to pay 760 baht. After paying, received blue card 630, waiting for photo session. 2 out of 3 photo stations were operational. 11:15 a.m. photographed for licenses. 11:45 a.m. received 2 new licenses.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Renewed my 5 year car and MC licenses Feb. 21, 2019. Arrived at 7:20 a.m., 70-80 people in line already. Received queue number 016 for desk 11 from the lady sitting outside the front door. Doors opened at 8 a.m., about 200 people had arrived by this time. Invited to go upstairs to desk 11 at 8:35 a.m. Clerk checked documents, then sent to room 1 with a red card. At 9:20 a.m. invited to go to testing area. Tested for colour blindness, and depth perception only. 9:35 a.m. test completed and returned to room 1 to watch movie, all sound in Thai, about how to drive properly and some horrific accidents. Had to sign a big register book while attending movie. After movie, received documents, with old licenses and passport. Told to sign a document verifying address, and other details. Next, line-up to desk 15 to pay 760 baht. After paying, received blue card 630, waiting for photo session. 2 out of 3 photo stations were operational. 11:15 a.m. photographed for licenses. 11:45 a.m. received 2 new licenses.

what paper work did you have to give them? Residency certificate? Photocopies of passport with visa and extension? what? thank you

Which transport office?
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 2/21/2019 at 5:28 PM, Banana7 said:

Which transport office?

Department of Land Transport (Banglamung Branch) 143 Moo3, Nongplalai, Chonburi 20150, Tel (038) 221 299 (Pattaya) Banglamung near Regent's International school.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:52 PM, likerdup1 said:

what paper work did you have to give them? Residency certificate? Photocopies of passport with visa and extension? what? thank you

One original residence certificate from immigration (3 days old) , one colour copy (signed) of residence certificate, original for MC license, copy for car license. Both original Thai license. For each license, one each of the following, (each page signed), passport photo and data page, passport extension of stay and multiple re-entry permit, current arrival stamp. Also included copy of original non-o visa and arrival card, but I'm not sure they were needed. No medical certificate.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

When I went for the 2 year temp license, both motorcycle and car, 3 years ago mid day after lunch, there was no queue, I just walked to the top floor, gave my papers, did some basic tests, and then spent about 30 minutes in 2 different lines. Out with everything 1-2 hours later.

Is this a risky bet these days? I am renewing from an expired 2 year to 5 year license.

@KhunBENQ It'll be one year past expiration in October so I'll have used it for 2 years and 11 months (I don't drive, I just keep it for ID or if i decide to later).

After I get my latest extension of stay stamp, I'll take care of the residence certificate and then head to the Bang Lamung DLT for the 5 year renewal license.

Just a question of what time to go because it sounds like I may face issues doing what I did 3 years ago and coming after 1pm. 

Also curious if I need a medical certficate, going from the 2 year to 5 year. I think I'll get one  or 2 to be safe (I have both a Car and Motorcycle license).

Edited by Hal65

Good to know thanks, I'll pick up 2 as I hear you need 2 originals for 2 licenses.

Any word on the late arriving strategy? I plan to go on a Tues or Weds. If I don't get any intel here either way, I think I'll try it on Tuesday and if it creates a problem, come back early morning on Wedsnesday. (An early arrival would disrupt my sleep schedule though as I wake up around noon)

Edited by Hal65

On 8/14/2019 at 4:48 PM, johng said:

At the Pattaya /Barglamung DLT

you can use 1 original and 1 copy of "residence certificate and medical certificate as long as you renew both licences at the same time (day)

Yes, despite what the lady at immigration tells you. 

• Like 1

I can either pedal bike for an hour each way to the Pattaya DLT or take a taxi for 200 thb there. Taxi sounds preferable. 

Trouble is on the way back. Anyone know where the closest public transportation is? 

PS: I realize the irony of this, I just want the DL for ID and also in case I get a motorbike in the future.

16 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I can either pedal bike for an hour each way to the Pattaya DLT or take a taxi for 200 thb there. Taxi sounds preferable. 

Trouble is on the way back. Anyone know where the closest public transportation is? 

PS: I realize the irony of this, I just want the DL for ID and also in case I get a motorbike in the future.

Don't think there is any nearby... maybe find some motorbike taxi that could take you to Sukhumvit, 7 km away. There you can find songtaews towards town. How about using Grab?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Ninafarm said:

Well does anyone know if the pink resident card is acceptable at Chonburi instead of a Residence Certificate from Chonburi Immigration?

Does your licence have your passport number on it or your pink card number ?