Thai Embassy web site for Non-immigrant Visa O-A now showing 1 Million Baht requirement .

I just came across an article relating to the application of a Non-immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) Visa for Long Stay (retirement) as shown on a Thai embassy web site in Brussels 

The financial requirements shown on that Thai Embassy web site say ……

Financial proof

An original attestation (scanned/electronic version is not accepted) from the bank with at least 1,000,000 baht or equivalent to 27,000 € (bank in Thailand or in Belgium) + 1 copy, + 2 copies of the bank statements from the last 6 months of this bank account
OR An attestation (original version) which mentions that you receive at least 2,7000 € (two-thousand-seven-hundred euros) per month as well as bank statements of the last 6 months which prove that you receive that amount. The communication on the bank statement must indicate that concerning monthly pension.

The 1,000,000 Baht requirement part stands out , as I thought the required amount was 800,000 Baht .

Embassy web site Link ….https://www.thaiembassy.be/2021/09/21/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay-visa-for-long-stay-retirement/?lang=en

Has the financial requirements for a  Non-immigrant Visa “O-A”  gone up ?

Thanks .

Edited by tomgreen
Link
  • Like 2

800k was (and still is I think) the requirement on a Thai bank account for visa renewal. What you are quoting is money on a bank account anywhere, can be in Thailand but also Belgium etc. Plus, this is for getting the original visa, not for renewal. Of course maybe the requirement for the original visa used to be 800k too, don't remember.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, while some here seem to keep stating that these embassy requirements are typos or 'mistakes' we have now seen them show up at 2 or 3 embassy/consulate sites around the world....so my guess is we will see more on the way. But with the insurance requirements increasing every year and now posisbly the financials going up...clearly they have some bias against OA visa holders.......and IOs around Thailand always seem to interpret whatever increases prevail for origination of the visa also apply to in country extensions which is the most absurd aspect of it all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

There are too many requirements after this stupid pandemic has come. For me Thailand is a finished country even if I live here already for a long time

I just obtained my 12 month extension from non O retirement.

Nothing has changed that I can think of.

There was the big one some time back re banking requirements (money in bank method). However certainly not a deal breaker.

If your referring to too many requirements to enter Thailand then yes the TP along with everything else is too much.

If your talking about living here in Thailand I personally don't see any issues.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Yes, I am referring to too many requirements to enter Thailand. We are lucky we live here since long time my friend

Im currently Samet and had chat with stranger. Guy was from UK.

Just arrived and naturally having gone through TP process. For him it was difficult.

How much of his own doing who knows.

Tourists are not all familiar with using computers for some of that process. 

I'm hoping a Thailand Pass MK 1V will be along in the future and even dummies like me can return to Thailand.

Flying out no issue. Flying back scary.

Same reporting about Thai embassy Brussels Belgium changed also  financial requirements for Non O-A...

https://www.thaiembassy.be/2021/09/21/non-immigrant-visa-o-a-long-stay-visa-for-long-stay-retirement/?lang=en&fbclid=IwAR1TeDFOI3halpei_LuInK3EFIz8j4QXpkVgITmTybVIL-GijtyYPs6SfDI  

In attachment word . English translation 

Copy paste translation from the Dutch/Belgium blog in word.pad doc. (In ENGLISH) and  original link (Dutch) for verifiction no fake news 

Original blog post (Dutch)

https://www.thailandblog.nl/dossier/visum-thailand/immigratie-infobrief/tb-immigration-infobrief-nr-069-21-thaise-ambassade-brussel-financiele-eisen-non-immigrant-o-a-verhoogd/

O-A changes Financials Thai Embassy Brussels.rtf

Edited by david555

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And of course: avoid Non O-A if possible (?).

Hard to see an advantage nowadays.

I think this old saying is referring to Non O-A.....

"Death by a thousand cuts" (psychology), the way a major negative change which happens slowly in many unnoticed increments is not perceived as objectionable.

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

proof of owning 1 million baht before even applying for a non O-A ?

It is clear that they do not want poor people come here .

What county wants poor people lol?

Thailand is allowing you to use this visa for up to two years.

27k € doesn't seem like a big ask. Once you have the visa your reporting requirements are over.

• Sad 1

Here's the financial requirements for a Non O-X visa from the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles (TBH I didn't even know there was a "X" retirement visa).

4.  Financial qualification :  

(a)  Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand
          – with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b)  Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand
          – with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and
          – have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year.

(c)  Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated
          money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than
          3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year
     before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left
     in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht
     and can only be spent in Thailand. 

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o-x/

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And of course: avoid Non O-A if possible (?).

Hard to see an advantage nowadays.

Not any advantage anymore  indeed.... , as now the money must be kept in Thailand when living there , before  it was one of the advantages could be kept in home country bank .

Edited by david555

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

Not any advantage anymore  indeed.... , as now the money must be kept in Thailand when living there , before  it was one of the advantages could be kept in home country bank .

Not for a OA visa. See the page linked a earlier post. 

For the Non-OX visa it does have to be in a Thai bank.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

That means that you need to have proof of owning 1 million baht before even applying for a non O-A ?

It is clear that they do not want poor people come here .

Before the excuse for that amount was unpaid hospital bills left by foreigners ... but now the obligatory insurance covers this .

They seem to be very ingenious in finding solutions to prevent people from visiting Thailand .

A million baht isn't that much.  It's about 40,000 Canadian. When I was doing the NON OA I had to provide bank statements from one of my accounts in Canada.  It only had to be transferred in if you went forward with the second year of the program, then they wanted some in Thailand.  I never had to transfer the money in the first year.   That I wouldn't do.  I did get very tired of getting a medical certificate saying I wasn't suffering from the third stage of syphilis. ????

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

What county wants poor people lol?

Thailand is allowing you to use this visa for up to two years.

27k € doesn't seem like a big ask. Once you have the visa your reporting requirements are over.

Can you find the link from the Thai Immigration website which specifically applies to?

Alternatively where did those Thai embassies get their information from?

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Can you find the link from the Thai Immigration website which specifically applies to?

Alternatively where did those Thai embassies get their information from?

only problem is when applying from home country is  you are under THEIR embassy requirements ..... different ministry's .....foreign ministry (embassy's) an interior ministry (immigration ) different dependable 

Once in Thailand you are under Interior ministry by immigration , 2 different powers sometimes showing each their power to each other .

I guess however that nothing changes for those already in Thailand and extending their existing stay ......" grandfathering " probably and extending on immigration rules as before ....., until those  should change ....

Edited by david555

The 800,000 requirement for in-country extension has been at that figure for a decade or more ?  it would be no surprise to see it increased to 1M or more.

In terms of applying for an O-A Visa outside the country, I'm not sure if consistency is needed or not compared to in-country extensions of stay.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

The 800,000 requirement for in-country extension has been at that figure for a decade or more ?  it would be no surprise to see it increased to 1M or more.

In terms of applying for an O-A Visa outside the country, I'm not sure if consistency is needed or not compared to in-country extensions of stay.  

"The 800,000 requirement for in-country extension has been at that figure for a decade or more ?  it would be no surprise to see it increased to 1M or more. "

True , even many of us got in those 12/13 years several times an increase in pension money at 2% each time cumulated , already a reasonable augmentation now comparing the total....,for rise in living expenses (however calculated on home country prizes, so in cheap prices  Thailand = a profit ????)

Edited by david555

On 11/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

So what's the latest count of Thai consulates changing financial requirements for non O-A.

Not really big deal.

THE LATEST NEWS YOU ASK? ..... 

Seems now after Brussel Belgium Thai embassy ,the...  The Netherlands Thai Embassy in The Hague have same changed Financial requirements for O-A visa 

Translated from Dutch

Reporter: RonnyLatYa

One thing we already know for sure. The financial requirements of a Non-immigrant O-A have indeed been significantly increased now that it has also been confirmed on the website of the Thai embassy in The Hague.

However, this also shows that the combination method still exists. Was not so clear in Brussels
"Financial evidence

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount in local currency or in THB no less than 1,200,000 THB; OR

An income certificate (an original copy) for the past 3 months with a monthly income no less than 100,000 THB; OR

A copy of bank statement showing a deposit account together with an annual income totalling no less than 1,200,000 THB."

https://hague.thaiembassy.org/th/page/76475-non-immigrant-visa-o-a-(long-stay)?menu=5d81cce815e39c2eb8004f12

In any case, the information and the requirements are clear.
Whether these amounts will also apply in Thailand, for an extension of a period of residence obtained with a Non-immigrant O-A, is not immediately clear.

As I've been saying for a while, I can't find any official info about it in Thailand at the moment. I keep searching and as soon as I find official info about this I will let you know.

link for verification this no fake news :
https://www.thailandblog.nl/dossier/visum-thailand/immigratie-infobrief/tb-immigration-infobrief-nr-072-21-thaise-ambassade-den-haag-financiele-eisen-non-immigrant-o-a-ook-daar-verhoogd/

Edited by david555

16 minutes ago, david555 said:

THE LATEST NEWS YOU ASK

Didn't ask for latest news ....

I asked this...

"So what's the latest count of Thai consulates changing financial requirements for non O-A."

Latest "count" is referring to number of consulates etc that have posted this change.

Just to give Australia as one example....Sydney has changed it's wording. On the other hand Thai Embassy Canberra has not.

So how many have. 

Mind you not really interested in guess work for future requirements.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Didn't ask for latest news ....

I asked this...

"So what's the latest count of Thai consulates changing financial requirements for non O-A."

Latest "count" is referring to number of consulates etc that have posted this change.

Just to give Australia as one example....Sydney has changed it's wording. On the other hand Thai Embassy Canberra has not.

So how many have. 

Mind you not really interested in guess work for future requirements.

So you prefer consulates above embassy's ? Understand as they have  higher authority ????

As you must be aware that consulates are UNDER embassy rules , more Antwerp consulate must now transfer all those visa demands straight to Bussels Embassy !

You seem to ignore the growing financial changes ...... and yes somewhere  there shall be  a Embassy  using different rules "possible" , but that will be a rare case ..... the money demands are growing by Thailand .... need quality tourists  (?????)  , if they go  reach that is  doubtful , but mean time a troublesome for many visa demanding people .... 

Edited by david555

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

So you prefer consulates above embassy's

Please stop nonsense. I meant honorary consulates and embassies. My question was simply about the number that have posted this change on financials for non O-A on their website. I gave one example to assist. Only two places in Australia issue non O-A. One being Sydney and the other Canberra. One has changed wording and the other not.

Is it 3, 4,... honorary consulates and embassies world wide..

There are other changes possible coming up for same visa. I will await facts. 

In any event minor news/change in my thinking.

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

As you must be aware that consulates are UNDER embassy rules , more Antwerp consulate must now transfer all those visa demands straight to Bussels Embassy !

Antwerp is honorary Thai consulate. Sydney for example is a official Thai consulate and can do everything an embassy can do.

You can find the official consulates listed at the bottom of the webpage. https://www.thaiembassy.org/

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Antwerp is honorary Thai consulate. Sydney for example is a official Thai consulate and can do everything an embassy can do.

You can find the official consulates listed at the bottom of the webpage. https://www.thaiembassy.org/

you are not to beat UBJ ,

is not even the most important , the fact is the move is set by Thailand to higher the financial demands for O-A visa abroad .

Honorary consulate i dealt with ....i know  for all my visas before most triple entry's ,1 ED visa multiple and all those they  could handle , it is only latest the Thai consulates taking more the decision to themselves , not only Antwerp consulate   but same happened in The Netherlands with Amsterdam consulate , and i am only giving general small notice alerts when it crosses my eyes or ears , no intention to be as complete as you.... just trying to give the story as i get them   , just first rumors or facts ....and then up to you the real expert .....

BTW :The notice of  changes in Belgium an The Netherlands are from Embassy's not consulates .....

Said with the highest respect to the  real expert of Aseannow.com for visa and stay Thailand rules 

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1