Thailand criminality on the rise?

gejohesch

12 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

On the rise? I would say yes. But still much less than in many many, maybe most,  other countries.

In your dreams, my friend. 

With crooks running the country, it's 'open season' on foreigners, and everyone else, watch your back.

Thailand is on a downward slide.

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Mine does but only because I nominated that amount. But only at a withdraw al maximum amount never found  over 30,000 per atm transaction.

Easy to say but a simple way to avoid an extortion event as described would be to deliberately enter  incorrect pin  3 times to void further withdrawal.

On a trip to Mexico City years back they had ATMs that had keypads different from what I was used to.  I tried a couple times but gave up before it ate my card. 

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

My Kasikorn for a start, why ? Do you not believe the OP?

I can withdraw that in one hit.

No, you can´t! The maximum withdrawal limit in ATM is 25k baht per hit. Means you must hit it 2 times.

However, about the limit you are right, and for the OP to understand: That is something you can set in your banking app or by calling or going in to your bank. My limit is 200k per day, which is fairy sufficient.

And, before somebody is quick and nifty to quote that I am asking to get robbed. No, it never happened, and no I do not think it will.

14 hours ago, thaiman said:

Which bank allows 50k withdrawl in one day?

all of them ?? 

you set your daily limits on request or even with many in the mobile app.. 

Please tell me you dont think the single max notes the ATM will dispense is all you can access ?? 

12 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

all of them ?? 

you set your daily limits on request or even with many in the mobile app.. 

Please tell me you dont think the single max notes the ATM will dispense is all you can access ?? 

Not sure about the rest, but Thanachart was 20k a day, I think.  And BkkBank is 50k a day, (2X25), which I do, back to back, every month when SS is deposited.  I know some machines spit out 30k at a time, or so I read.

My bank book reads like morris code, in-out-out, in-out-out-out, in-out-out ... ????

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

OP, I hope your mrs is okay, my mrs does most withdrawals from my account when she's out food shopping or paying bills, she will always use an atm inside a bank, never outside.

Yes I know you said the bank was shut - that's very unlucky, but these are dodgy times, one can never be too careful, regards to your mrs and I really hope she's okay.

does the ATM have cctv

I take the OP at face value simply because he said he lives somewhere in rural Issan, I have been to rural Issan more than a few times in my 17 years visiting & living in LOS, one of my friends for example is known by many locals, his wife has a stall on a local market, they are not rich but well off in Thai rural Issan, for anyone wanting to rob him at an ATM it would be supremely easy, he is in his mid 70's and as light as a feather, 3 guys at an ATM would scare the bejesus out of anyone let alone a single female, not difficult for the perpetrators to have been watching him or her and wait for her to go to the ATM again.

I don't know why so many have a closed or doubting mind. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, thaiman said:

Which bank allows 50k withdrawl in one day?

My Bangkok Bank-account for example, 100,000 baht pr. day and 25,000 baht per withdrawal. SCB has similar high withdrawal limit per day, but used to be only 20,000 baht per withdrawal.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My woman is a bit more aggressive, she would have taken the Stanley knife out of her bag and cut them.

I'm betting she would get at least two of them to protect the 2,000bht in her account.

Assuming the guys really existed.

My mrs is about 4'8" & 40kgs soaking wet. She wouldn't be much competition for 3 blokes and she certainly don't have a Stanley knife in her bag. ????

• Like 2

Just mulling this over some more...

It's just a very poor choice of a target unless you know the target and know they have a substantial balance. But how would anybody know this in advance? Just because a Thai woman is married to a foreigner doesn't mean that she has a hefty bank balance; the husband might control everything. 

Plus you're using a gun out on the street out in the open, so if anybody happens to approach or pass by or observe you from across the street while the withdrawals are being completed, there's a risk the victim could cry out, or alert people that a robbery was taking place. Wearing masks are going to attract attention, and there's a risk that your getaway vehicle could be identified, photographed, or captured on CCTV camera. Risk of getting caught: fairly high; risk of low payoff: fairly high as well.

I can think of a lot of stick up targets which would probably be easier and yield a better payoff: gas stations, 7-11's, isolated restaurants, even trying to rob the bank itself. The poor choice of target suggests to me a lack of preparation and planning, perhaps driven by desperation, possibly a drug addiction.

But, then, why a three person team? Maybe one person to do the stick-up, and a second to drive the getaway car, but three people? That seems to complicate things, especially the getaway. Three people could get on a motorcycle, but kind of slows you down a bit, doesn't it?  And a woman was involved, presumably a girlfriend or wife? Entirely possible, but sounds unusual to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't know why so many have a closed or doubting mind.

It's an unusual crime for Thailand (armed robbery at an ATM) with an improbable victim (Thai female in rural Thailand with unknown bank balances), committed by an unusual three-person (two males, one female) armed robbery team.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

My BKK bank allows that,

Really? all I get is one withdrawal per day of 25,000. I asked at the bank why this was and they said it was due to my home bank I asked there and they said they hadn't put a limit on my card so BKK was telling porkies.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Rather improbable crime due to random nature of victim, uncertainty about funds available, not to mention CCTV cameras at the ATM. Many Thais in rural areas have next to nothing in their accounts. What time of day did this supposedly occur?

If bank CCTV footage confirms presence of the three individuals, police can oftentimes fairly easily trace where they went after the crime by checking other CCTV cameras in the area.

OP says account belonged to wife, but was the OP the source of the funds in the account? Not trying to sow seeds of doubt in OP's mind, but possibility that story is concocted shouldn't be ruled out until ATM footage shows otherwise. Possible motives for concocting story include hidden gambling debts.

Armed robbery of a customer at an ATM would be aggressively investigated by the police. The bank would also have an interest in this case and want it to be thoroughly investigated as well.

Good comments overall. Yes, I agree it's an improbable story enough. Lots of things crossed my mind, knowing how bizarre Thai minds can be. Pressure from the family is another possibility that was not mentioned. That being said, my wife's distress is way beyond what it would be if it was faked - and I know Thais can fake very well. And she is not one of those dodgy women picked out from a bar stool or a dancing pole.

That being said, again, Thai minds are so bizarre....

How improbable is my wife's story? I heard of an American guy who went through a similar experience 2 or 3 years ago, that happened in Lisbon which normally is a very safe place.

Webcams .... sure, let's see what the police makes out of it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Your post seems more like BS rather than the OP.

He gave a lot more detail, whereas yours is simply a kneejerk.

Thanks.

And for those who come with that stupid "sick buffalo" scam, please can you stop? It is so tiring to keep hearing those stupid stories from people who think they know everything about Thailand. Similar to people coming back with stupid expressions like "same same but different" which they think shows how clever they are about Thailand. People who most of the time can not say more than 1 dozen words in Thai - half of which would not even be intelligible.

Edited by gejohesch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Really? all I get is one withdrawal per day of 25,000. I asked at the bank why this was and they said it was due to my home bank I asked there and they said they hadn't put a limit on my card so BKK was telling porkies.

I had the 50000/day from beginning with BKK Bank Banglamung Branch and I used the limit very often over the years. Maybe they changed that for newer accounts? I have mine since 2003.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I had the 50000/day from beginning with BKK Bank Banglamung Branch and I used the limit very often over the years. Maybe they changed that for newer accounts? I have mine since 2003.

Mine is from 2005 Surin branch (Isan)