Bangkok and upcountry crackdown on vehicle emissions - black smoke vehicles face bans

webfact

Every year since I arrived in Thailand in 2013, it has been announced that farmers who start fires and drivers of vehicles that emit black smoke will be "ruthlessly" pursued - what is easier to determine who owns the land which is on fire, or to take a smoking vehicle off the road? It's all hot air, and probably Thailand's biggest contribution to global warming.

• Like 2

Thailand has been cracking down on vehicles with ‘black smoke’ emissions for at least 20 years !!!

There has been more talk and announcements of cracking down without any actual cracking down than anywhere else I know....  Its as if those in positions of decision making power really believe that all they have to do is make an announcement and this is enough to get things done.... 

‘Thailand.... the Hub of the imaginary crackdown’ !!!... 

• Like 2

They need to set up a website (not Immigration programmers) where people can submit dashcam footage of offending vehicles, with cash rewards of 50% of the fine for the informants and 10% for the courts/police who process them. Make the fines large enough to encourage owners to fix the vehicles and informants to send the videos. Start with bus and trucking companies and move on to the tuned pickups.

Edited by Classic Ray
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Metropolitan Authority official Khajit Chachawanich reiterated that there is currently a crackdown on filthy vehicles emitting black smoke in both Bangkok and 15 provinces.

After all the previous crackdowns one would think there would be none left on the road.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in BKK & other affected cities they need to implement congestion charges & pollution charges as they do in London and other large cities, far too many people drive into these places with no controls at all.

Buses & large trucks including modified pickups spew & belch black smoke everyday, the boy racers think their clever but it must be costing the bus & truck companies dearly for the damage being done to their vehicles & people's health.

• Like 1

Total nonsense. Nothing has changed. A while back they had another campaign similar to this and they had posters with phone numbers that you could call to report vehicles that were polluting. We were driving and we saw this truck that was pumping out huge black clouds of smoke and I copied down their license plate and I dialed the number, and handed my phone to my Thai wife and ask her speak to the department. She asked the person who answered the phone what can they do? He ask my wife why are you calling us and she said, well you have phone numbers posted to report polluting vehicles? The guy said well I don't know anything about this, nor who I would report it to, and she said well that's not really our issue is it? You're supposed to be monitoring polluting vehicles. He said OK, give me the license plate number and I'll see what I can do. My wife said are you going to do anything? He said, I don't know, I need to look at the regulations first and see who I'm supposed to report it to, and then maybe somebody will do something. 

• Haha 1