Police will face trouble if caught taking bribes - tourists stopped by traffic cops in Phuket creates stir

webfact

now im confused. if i give all the right information. what would be the scenerio? for the police to give a legal fine?  do they give you some sort of form with the amount stated on it? is that how it works.  and can i offer half that amount to just make problem go away. is that bribery on my part and can i get fined extra for trying that?  has anyone gone thru this ticket business before? what is the typical scenerio.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He notes that Phuket provincial chief Pol Maj-Gen Sermphan Sirikhong would stand for no backhanders being taken by traffic police and promised offenders would face disciplinary action or criminal prosecution.

But he also noted that police were within their rights to let off those who were breaking the law as a first offence and show leniency.

So will they show leniency for all tourists or just for Thais?

I ask for a friend!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

`i have to carry passport with me.  how about a copy of it

After being stopped and having to hand over my licence -- which was then taken from me and no explanation given just told to drive on! Eventually I found out that the system was to go to the police station, pay the fine and also pay the ''fine'' to get my licence back -- which was more than the fine!

After this I carried photocopies of my licence and passport -- but when stopped I was told photocopies were not acceptable!  I paid the fine -- in cash!

I still only carry photocopies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogi yogi said:

what if im shirtless with nipple piercing will that be frowned upon by the white helmet cops

I guess you are writing this tongue in cheek, but it is illegal to ride a bike, or drive a car whilst shirtless..........as for riding a bike, I suggest you google gravel rash. Should be enough incentive to wear a shirt. :clap2:

4 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I guess you are writing this tongue in cheek, but it is illegal to ride a bike, or drive a car whilst shirtless..........as for riding a bike, I suggest you google gravel rash. Should be enough incentive to wear a shirt. :clap2:

If you google ‘gravel rash’... its enough incentive to go ATGATT !!! (all the gear all the the time) with full on leathers !!!

Due to the heat and perhaps some nonchalance and a little overconfidence I’ve found myself wearing full gear less often these days - when nipping down to 7-11 its an open face helmet, trainers and gloves, and T-shirt&shorts of course...  longer distances when going on the major roads a full face helmet, ankle riding boots and jacket... but its so hot in the jacket (airwave)... but I’ve started just wearing shorts on the bike a lot instead of the riding pants or jeans...  Silly, I know.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

`i have to carry passport with me.  how about a copy of it

I went to a copy shop and got a copy of my passport, reduced it in size until it was about the size of a large credit card, and had it laminated, and that's what I carry around with me all the time, and every time I've been asked for my passport, I have presented this and it has been accepted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think some of these tourist need to get a grip and follow the laws, Lots of tourist I have spoken to seem to think being fined or handing money over at the roadside is some form of corruption or bribe,

I remember talking to a couple of tourist in the bar a couple of years ago and they was asking me about police corruption, if you are committing a road traffic offence and you get fined how is that corruption............? 

Right now you are drinking in the bar you have no helmets, I saw you pull up, do you have a license on you.........Nope! so right away there is 3 offenses, Oh bye the way do you have your passports on you? Nope, ok add that to the list

So if you get fined tonight with that little lot you are calling that corruption? 

I told them I have lived here 25 years and been fined twice and both times was my fault,

I follow your logic. Where it falls down is when the cops allow those same people they just fined, to continue on their way still helmetless, without licence ( therefore no insurance) and without passport.

can you explain that?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The spokesman told Manager that police were requesting that motorcycle rental shops checked tourists' documents and said that it was important that tourists knew the requirements and road rules before taking to the roads.  

How about offering a helmet to riders?

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think some of these tourist need to get a grip and follow the laws, Lots of tourist I have spoken to seem to think being fined or handing money over at the roadside is some form of corruption or bribe,

I remember talking to a couple of tourist in the bar a couple of years ago and they was asking me about police corruption, if you are committing a road traffic offence and you get fined how is that corruption............? 

Right now you are drinking in the bar you have no helmets, I saw you pull up, do you have a license on you.........Nope! so right away there is 3 offenses, Oh bye the way do you have your passports on you? Nope, ok add that to the list

So if you get fined tonight with that little lot you are calling that corruption? 

I told them I have lived here 25 years and been fined twice and both times was my fault,

Fair comment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Finances are clearly tight if they are stopping and fining Thais now. A few years ago I was at this location and watched the cops stopping many bikes. They were only stopping farangs, most who were wearing helmets, for licence checks and fining pretty much all of them. At the same time there were hundreds of Thais riding past helmetless and often 3 or 4 per motorbike who didn't even get a glance from the cops. 

Been watching the cops at the same location many times and fully agree with you, mom, dad and 2 kids on the motorbike, no helmets but the cops didn't bother to stop them. Not even looked at them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

what if im shirtless with nipple piercing will that be frowned upon by the white helmet cops

It is actually an offence to be shirtless, obviously not on the beach.

Re wearing helmets, if your head is only worth 200baht or less, then you don't need to wear one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It is actually an offence to be shirtless, obviously not on the beach.

Re wearing helmets, if your head is only worth 200baht or less, then you don't need to wear one.

An offense to bare one’s skin and under wear is a requirement when out and about