No more UK trips planned with new travel rules.

Scouse123

50 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Cold , yeah , but at least the air is much cleaner in europe.

Not looking forward to spend the next 5 months in very bad PM2,5 air .

I don't have any problems with the air quality in the area of Isaarn that I live. There is no burning, traffic is light and the air is quite pleasant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Why ,unless you had to ,chose this time of year ? A totally different perspective would apply had you chosen june - September or wished to avoid the horribly hot April May here. 

I think I covered the above in point 4 of the opening post.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, Scouse123 said:

The weather is now lousy in the UK and freezing cold and I can think of nothing worse than returning there for the next few months.

I went in Aug, came back Oct, was getting a bit cold for me by then. I was stood on the platform of Forres station waiting for the train south and quite glad to have the mask on. No alcohol on the trains so hipflask came in handy.

Will be May before going back.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 8:14 AM, BritManToo said:

I never once forgot the freezing cold, sideways rain and aching joints.

Haven't been back since Spring/Summer 2016 where the weather was actually quite nice.

I experienced harsh northern winters, trudging through snow to school, years of outdoor working, moved south and for the last 15 years cycled a 28k round trip to work. 

Never felt I was suffering, gained great satisfaction, pleased I carried the energy and fitness to do it ???? but yes ingrained in the mind, as I now sit appreciating the warmth of Thailand viewing photos of the current snowstorm in the north of England

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fangless said:

When were you last stuck in a UK  city centre with it's congested roads clogged up with polluting traffic due to the stupid cycle lanes?

There's more to the UK than congested city centres, same as there's more to Thailand than Bangkok. Why do people have to talk in generalisations?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Why do people have to talk in generalisations?

In my case above it was because I was replying to a generalisation!

I wonder sometimes why do people ask rhetorical questions?

Edited by fangless
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Yep,

There's asylum seekers, boat people, dinghies in the channel and charity and pound shops in the city centres as all the major brands have gone online.

Nothing wrong with pound shops. Get some great bargains in those. Same as there's nothing wrong with Thailand's 20 baht shops. They have similar shops in Spain, run by Chinese. They're always packed with stock in whichever country and I have no idea how they make a profit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 473geo said:

as I now sit appreciating the warmth of Thailand viewing photos of the current snowstorm in the north of England

Here's one from the south east taken less than an hour ago.........

IMG_20211129_081948.thumb.jpg.e4e4a21762a51f76e4a45fe2824ea5d0.jpg

Yes it is only a sprinkling but I was surprised when I saw it had snowed yesterday evening and expected it to have gone by this morning.

As others have mentioned I too have struggled with the cold a couple of times this last week and can't wait to get back to Thailand.

• Like 1

What puts me off going back to the UK, apart from the lousy weather, is all the extra documents/paperwork that needs to be done with various agencies.

I suspect I will never go again unless travel goes back to the book a ticket and that's it times.

Which I suspect we might not see.

36 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I suspect I will never go again unless travel goes back to the book a ticket and that's it times.

Which I suspect we might not see

I don't expect I'll ever go back to Blighty but it's nothing to do with weather or anything else. Nobody there gives a phvck about me.

I sure miss a pint of Theakstons Old Peculier in springtime though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I sure miss a pint of Theakstons Old Peculier in springtime though.

You can find Old Peculiar here if you look hard enough. Hope is on the horizon....

Or someone I do business with has:
OLD SPECKLED HEN, ABBOTT ALE, YOUNGS DOUBLE CHOCOLATE STOUT, BOMBARDIER, PEDIGREE, BELLHAVEN SCOTTISH STOUT, WEXFORD IRISH CREAM, RUDDLES COUNTY ……120 BAHT/CAN…..OR….115 BAHT/CAN FOR CASE OF 24

PM me if you're interested. He also sells tea ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

What puts me off going back to the UK, apart from the lousy weather, is all the extra documents/paperwork that needs to be done with various agencies.

Which I suspect we might not see.

It isn't the UK that requires a lot of documents, it is Thailand that requires them for the Thailand Pass for your return.

The UK only want the passenger locator form filling in which includes you purchasing a LFT in advance and that's it.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to spending a couple of months there in April-May, next year, scary-variants permitting.

Fleeing the oppressive heat and humidity here at that time for usually great weather in UK around start of Spring.

Luckily, I still have family and friends in the UK, even after spending nearly 30 years away. I'm quite looking forward to it, tbh.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 9:26 AM, 473geo said:

I experienced harsh northern winters, trudging through snow to school, years of outdoor working, moved south and for the last 15 years cycled a 28k round trip to work. 

Never felt I was suffering, gained great satisfaction, pleased I carried the energy and fitness to do it ???? but yes ingrained in the mind, 

Glad you said that last bit ???? I was beginning to worry. Always been ingrained in my mind, but at the time we knew no different and it was the same for everyone. 

In the first para you forgot to mention the windows being iced up on the inside. ????

On 11/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, fangless said:

When were you last stuck in a UK  city centre with it's congested roads clogged up with polluting traffic due to the stupid cycle lanes?

You must had lived in a big city, traffic in the city i'm from ( pop 300-400K ) traffic is great, get anywhere in 20 minutes.

The fresh air is one of the few things i miss from UK.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:41 AM, fangless said:

Perhaps if more Brits got off the big fat, flabby backsides and did more cycling and less driving, well... congested roads and air pollution wouldn't be such an issue. But umm... I don't like to say anything ????????????.

• Sad 1